• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt drive Arctic Cat question

W
Jul 1, 2016
Minnesota
Purchased a 2016 M8000 limited that had the tki belt drive conversion installed already. I will be swapping out the top gear to complement some modifications that I am making and I was curious about removing the old one. I have the cover and tensioner removed as well as the belt, I am wondering what the best way to get the gear off without damage to the shaft/case would be? Heat gun/torch/puller? Bolt is removed and tried some light prying and taps with a hammer. Thanks

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
My top gear is extremely snug. To get it on it took some major heat, pounding and muscling. I assume yours is tight like mine and it is just the tight tolerances. I don't know of a tool that is meant just for that but heat and some hard blows it probably going to be your best bet.

W
Jul 1, 2016
Minnesota
My top gear is extremely snug. To get it on it took some major heat, pounding and muscling. I assume yours is tight like mine and it is just the tight tolerances. I don't know of a tool that is meant just for that but heat and some hard blows it probably going to be your best bet.
Thanks for the info. I ended up having to heat the piss out of it while keeping tension on it with a small pry bar. Ended up eventually just popping off, then more heat to disassemble the gear to use the sheaves on the new one that comes bare for $100 ?

W
Jul 1, 2016
Minnesota
Not the end of the world. Happy to at least spend the money with someone that provides excellent service. Tom was very helpful when I was trying to figure out what changes needed to be made for the mods and sub par bottom end.

Premium Features