• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

dumb questions on the TKI belt drive, help appreciated

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
Installing tki belt drive into my 2018 XF High Country 141, short chain case, not extended mountain case. it has hollow upper jack shaft utilizing the two piece press fit nut retainer system in the jack shaft.

the directions say to apply a layer of thin grease to the sliding mating surfaces, and their provided green loctite to the outside of the insert, where it will contact the inside diameter of the shaft. I cleaned out the inside shaft with electrical connector cleaner, and dried it with paper towel. I drew the nut, into the holder flush, waited over an hour installing other items. but, after attempting to torque the upper pulley bolt, I cant get the bolt to tourque to the desired 20 ft pounds, it just spins. to me it feels like the inner nut portion, is spinning on the outer portion, due to the grease. I dont think the insert is spinning in the shaft contact area. (but, I could be wrong). I think this was a bad idea to introduce a lubricant, into something you dont want to move. but, that is just my thought.

1: I am assuming the bolt/washer tightened to the pulley, will spin with the pulley on the shaft? if so, it would be spinning in the direction of tightening, could I monitor the bolt for backing out while riding, if I cant get it to the 20 ft pounds? is this a good idea?

2: how can I easily remove the insert and try to install another one? or is there some way I can lock the insert after the fact?

3: the upper pulley seems stuck to the jack shaft now, how do I remove the pulley, and not hurt it?

We drove to the sled (500 miles one way), as it is stored at our sledding location. I went to install this on friday, was almost done, and realized, I had received the wrong oil tank. tki is trying to make it right but, they are out of the shop right now, and I just need some questions answered, and thought you guys might have had a similar thing happen, and a solution.

all help, appreciated. Ski

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
its a swedge lock style insert as it tightens it expands and swells up. if you cant get it to set use a punch and just push it inside the jack shaft further.Or find a way to thread a bolt into it and use a slide hammer to pull it. Then insert a new one and try again. As for the upper gear apply some heat to the gear to help get it loose and keep the jackshaft cold on the backside.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Sounds like a problem I had. I’m not sure if it was a problem I created or what caused it. TKI fixed it for me after several different attempts. Give them a ring, I bet they will provide the support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
Sounds like a problem I had. I’m not sure if it was a problem I created or what caused it. TKI fixed it for me after several different attempts. Give them a ring, I bet they will provide the support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what was your issue and fix? Tom sent me some new swedge locks, that are a little larger, and knurled, to help. i have to travel 500 miles and pray I have the parts and the ability to fix it. otherwise, it is another wasted trip, and another lost week of riding. warm up coming, hoping to get at least 1 or 2 more powder days before the snow sets up. like I said... help is appreciated, I am over a barrel. Ski

Premium Features