• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt deflection...Would like to see some picts

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
There has been lots of discussion on belt deflection. I would like to see some of the experienced clutch guru's post some picts. I've read the spec sheets and have been told how high or low belts should run in the secondary but I would like to actually see someone actually do it. I'v tried to do this on my 09 M8. In order for me to get the deflection set according to spec my belt sits pretty low in the secondary. Either flush with the secondary shieves or just below. This is to achieve the 1 1/4 inch deflection in order to get the slack out of the belt. Yes I have checked offset and parallism and they are ok.

D

dp2826

Dec 31, 2007
NW Iowa
Who cares where it sits or what it measures. If it is squealing loosen it a bit. Put it on a stand and adjust it so it just barely moves the track at idle.

M
Oct 20, 2009
They run the best right before it starts to squeal. It its just inching away from you on flat ground at idle without a rider, I think that is perfect. From memory, my belt is typically sticking out of the secondary by about 1/8".

D

dp2826

Dec 31, 2007
NW Iowa
Well what good is a picture of someone elses sled going to do. If you need that much help maybe you should take it to the dealer.

D

dp2826

Dec 31, 2007
NW Iowa
Lol! None, don't even know who he is. But I kind of took offense to his post. I was trying to help.

S
Feb 21, 2009
yep

Who cares where it sits or what it measures. If it is squealing loosen it a bit. Put it on a stand and adjust it so it just barely moves the track at idle.

Like 2826 says is the easy way to do it or a bit above secondary. Not rocket science here..

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
I know how to set deflection by raising the sled adjusting it so that the sled track barely moves or by setting up the deflection so that 1/8 or so of the belt sits above the secondary. Has anyone read their owners manual or shop manual? That is NOT what it says. It states to take a strait edge place it on top of the belt between the primary and secondary, press down on the belt until you barely see the belt move (removing slack) then measure the distance between the strait edge and the belt it should be between 1 1/8 to 1 1/4inch of space for PROPER deflection alignment. I simply have asked if someone would take picture of doing this proper alignment procedure so I can see what they preceive to be proper deflection. NOT the add oil until the light goes out method... If deflection is not set up properly you are starting out in the wrong gear whether the belt is set with slack in it or if it is banjo tight. It is CRITICAL !! Binding/slippage can happen on top end which affects max speed or backshift. On the low end if the belt is to loose it can cause a low end bog. Sooooo again could someone please post a picture to setting up proper belt deflection if they do it anywhere close to what the manuals say. Thanks

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
desperado, read your own post. you explained how to do it to a TEE. take the belt cover off, with the belt on the clutches, lay a thin straight length of anything that will run the length bewteen the clutches. get a tape measure, push down the center of the belt, and measure the gap between the straight piece and the top of the belt you have pushed down.

ski

JFro50

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2009
Hamburg, MN
By the way it sounds you could take a pic of yourself doing it and put it in the cat manual, you got it down

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
belt deflection is critical..(performance of deflection is paramount over belt height).it is the primary consideration over belt height in the secondary..(within reason)..so belt height flush or a hair down or raised is not an issue if your deflection is good..if way out of askew get shorter/longer wider/narrower belt..

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
I love these threads where the OP asks for advice and then ends up knowing more than everyone else. Classic!

I would tell you how I gauge it but you wouldn't agree.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
The only reason the owners manual has a dimension is because it's easy to describe....but is not the best method. Best method is as tight as possible without squeeling or making the sled difficult to start or go into reverse.
Deflection only effects engagement....as soon as the sled is moving it has zero effect on how the clutching or belt works.

Premium Features