• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt squawking in reverse and continues after going forward again at lower rpms - then goes away

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Spent yesterday helping get a sled out with a broken QD2 lower pulley - I only mention that because I am worn out and not wanting to go tear into my sled - hoping someone recognizes this issue and helps me get straight to the problem. I'm not normally this lazy but... trying to give my back some rest.

Ok, here is the issue. It started after I changed the primary clutch spring, went up 20 lbs on the top end from the stock spring specs to try to improve consistency pulling 8250 (which it has). But, when I put the sled in reverse, I hear squawking from the belt and also sounds like some clutch chatter. Once I switch back to going forward, I still hear it, and if I don't run the track speed up and get it to shift out, it continues. Once I open it up and get the track speed up, it goes away completely (even at low speed). So to me that rules out deflection (which I think is well adjusted). I expect the secondary is opening too far when I first go into reverse and staying stuck there until the primary shifts out. Thinking secondary spring, but there aren't that many miles on this spring - maybe 300-400. Top end RPM seems fine and so does backshift. Sled is pulling rpm fine and everything seems normal - except this reverse issue...
Sled is a 2016 800 Axys (163) Carls clutching/SLP pipe combo but using the stock helix angle and black/pink in the primary. I expect some to chime and and advise to go with a different clutch setup. But the Carl's setup has worked well for me and I have not had this issue before. So while there may be some gains there, its not the cause of this issue. Sled has ~1300 miles on it. Motor mounts were done at 600 miles. Also has the SLP torque arm - running a gates belt (but have been since I swapped out the OEM at ~500 miles). Thanks in advance for your help.

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
just went out and unloaded my sled off the deck - another data point for you: It did not do it when I backed it off the deck and maneuvered into the garage (used reverse several times). I had the panel off and no issues with the secondary opening more than expected. So load on the track seems to be a factor (dense wet snow vs wheels under it on concrete).

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
I had a squeak from the secondary axle not having enough lubricant on it, so that the secondary would not slide left and right in order to realign it with the drive belt, as it shifts to the right slightly with increasing rpms. A too short of spec drive belt will also cause a squeak.

Premium Features