• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bearclaw bob's report from Cooke city

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
COOKE CITY MORNING

Woke up to overcast skies. Its started lightly snowing again. We received about 2 inches yesterday. The snowman is still calling for a 80% chance for the next 2 days.

AVALANCHE REPORT: Although avalanche activity is diminishing, the snowpack is still weak, unstable and suspect until proven otherwise. Furthermore, stron west to southwest winds are building thick wind slabs that can be easily triggered. Today the danger is rated CONSIDERABLE on all slopes.

If your looking for a place to stay with a great price, call the Super 8 and find out the specials they are running from March 12 to the middle of May. You'll be shocked.:rockon:

I finally got the fill station going for BCA, if you need a tank fill, check us out. Don't forget to bring your o-rings and grease that you received with your pack.

I'll be letting sleds go the middle of March. If your looking for a good sled at a great price, give me a call.

Come in to the bakery and get a free cup of coffee early in the mornings. Terri opens the doors at 5am.:face-icon-small-coo

Bearclaw
406-838-2040

Super 8 motel
877-388-2070

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
had to plow

Woke up to enough snow to plow. So I would say that it should have covered up most of the tracks from yesterday. The snowman is calling for another 3 inches today. It will clear off tonight and be partly cloudy tomorrow. For Saturday it will be over cast with a 50% chance of snow.

AVALANCHE REPORT: With new snow, recent wind loading, widespread and persistent weak layers, and recent avlalanche activity indicate dangerous conditions. Some natural avalanches will occur but most slopes will need a skier or rider to trigger an avalanche and today the danger is CONSIDERABLE.

The town has picked back up again, with a few riders enjoying the fresh powder.

The bakery has been really busy, she says thank you to everyone that comes in and has breakfast.

We are filling BCA avy tanks. There are two things you must do when you have a BCA. The tanks should be visually inspected once a year and have a hydro done every 5 years. This will have to be done by a qualified person.

We will have up for sale two Arctic cat M-8 sno pro's for sale the middle of this month. Give me a call or stop in and check them out.

Bearclaw
406-838-2040

Super 8 motel
877-338-2070

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where is the sun

The snowman is calling for partly sunny skies today, but at this time, we have overcast, we picked up about another 2 inches over night. By Sunday, we are going to start to see warmer temps and sunny skies.

AVALANCHE REPORT: We are finding that the buried layer is getting stronger,but we are finding over a wide area showing the potential for this weak layer to propagate fractures over long distances. So today, the danger is CONSIDERABLE on all wind loaded slopes and all slopes steeper than 35 degrees. All other slopes have a MODERATE avalanche danger.

Bearclaw has OXYGEN-ENRICHED AIR, if you find that you can't catch your breath up on the mountain, the O2 to go is what you need, Its pure oxygen. Stop in and get a bottle today, It does work.

Stop in a get a free cup of coffee in the mornings. Terri has it on at 5 am.:rockon:

Bearclaw
406-838-2040

Super 8 Motel
877-338-2070

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Sunny and Warm

Its been a busy week, with snow and people. But I'm back until the end of the month. The snowman is calling for warmer temps for the weekend and into next week. Today we will see mid 30th, but by Saturday, the temps will be in the mid 40's. NO snow in the forcast. The last several days we have woke up in the mornings with below zero temps. BRRRRRR:sun:

AVALANCHE REPORT: Watch out for wind-loaded slopes and slopes over 35 degrees, they will be CONSIDERABLE and MODERATE on less steep wind-loaded slopes and all other slopes without a wind load.

Its HOG ROAST WEEKEND.

I'll be letting go of several sleds March 20th. If your looking for a good buy, give me a calll.

If your wondering the streets at 5 am. Stop in and get a free cup of coffee from the Bakery.:rockon:

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SUNNY and more Sun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The snowman is telling me that we are going to see the mid 40's tomorrow. :sun: :sun: :sun: This is going to go on for at least a week. The Top of the World yesterday was great. Found about 8 inches of fresh powder. NO one had been up riding. You can find powder around Cooke if you look.

AVALANCHE REPORT: The area still has unstable areas for avalanches. For this reason today, the danger is CONSIDERAGBLE on all slopes steeper than 35 degrees and MODERATE on less steep slopes.

I'm sorry to say I'm out of race gas for the rest of the winter season.

Bearclaw
406-838-2040

Super 8 Motel
877-338-2070

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Wild week

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The snowman is calling for a 50% of snow tomorrow and it declines each day. The temps are getting in the lower 40's and for today the same. The snow is hard in the morning and getting really soft in the afternoon.

This is the first time I've seen the effects of the Full Moon. People like to distroy things, to having fights in the street when they get intoxicated.:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-fro What a Shame. It hurts the whole town.

AVALANCHE REPORT:Even tho its getting warmer each day, the chance of a avalanche is still CONSIDERABLE on wind-loaded slopes and MODERATE on all other slopes.

Well my rental sleds are now for sale, if you know someone looking for a great deal.

The bakery is still giving away FREE coffee.

Bearclaw
406-838-2040

Super 8 motel
877-338-2070

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
YIPPY SKIPPY its snowing

The snowman was kinda right. We picked up about 2-3 inches over night, but was told yesterday 5-6. It is still snowing at this time. The forecast is snow each morning with a possible chance of rain in the afternoon. This is going to last until Tuesday of next week.

AVALANCHE REPORT: The reports of hoar frost is still present at ground level. Consequently, its still possible to trigger an avalanche and the danger is rated MODERATE today.

I would rate the riding on the mountain as GOOD. I'll give you a report tomorrow morning. I plan on going out and check it out myself.

If you need a BCA avy tank filled, stop in, we can fill them for you.

I'm getting in several new sleds for rental next year, they will be limited sno pro's. They are really a cool machine, with electric start.

I still have several 2012 sno pro's to sell, pricing is $7500.00. :rockon:

I've reduced the price of HMK riding boots.

Don't forget, if your out walkin the roads at 5 am, coffee is on and its free at the bakery.

Super 8 is still running a special during the week, call and find out what it is.

Bearclaw
406-838-2040

Super 8 motel
877-338-2070

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
GOOD MORNING TO EVERYONE

Yes it is that time of year again. We are here and opened for business. I'm hoping everyone had a great summer, I sure did.
The bakery will soon be opened and making all her great products, mmmmmm I can't wait either. :face-icon-small-hap

We had a few up riding and the report I've gotten back, thats its not to bad on the north side of LULU PASSE. :bounce:

The snowman says snow is coming back in after the weekend. Lets hope so, for our sakes. But he is saying sunny for the next few days.

We are offering everything that we did last year, at the great low prices.:jaw:

The helmet special is still on. The company didn't raise the prices enough to justify raising them.

Don't forget we fill BCA Avalanche bags and we are also going to start stocking the SNOW PULSE AVALANCHE AIRBAG SYSTEMS. Stop in and check them out. :jaw:

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
rain and show showers

Morning to everyone, its Monday, two more days till Thanksgiving. I'm hoping everyone will have a good turkey day.

For the last several days, we have seen overcast skies and a few snow showers. The temps are staying in the mid 30's. :sorry: The snowman is calling for this for the next 4 days. I guess we wait and see. The snow dance starts today, in the hope for snow.
Talked to a few riders yesterday, the report from them states, once you get up to Lulu passe, the depth of the snow is 36-40 inches. They said the riding was good, but take your time, so you won't need to buy A-ARMS.

ALALANCHE REPORT: Compared to last year, which was plagued by weak snow at the ground, things are looking much better now. Although a lot can change, the snowpack currently has a strong foundation, however, this does not mean the light is entirelly green.

The super Eight will be running a winter special, it gives you the chance to stay 3 nights for 2 people, but you must call the motel to get the details. You will find the toll free number below. Don't forget to ask for the snowest special.:face-icon-small-hap

Bearclaw and Bearclaw bakery, are getting things set up for another great year. We hope all of you will come in and enjoy the great breakfast , or just to say HI.

If your wondering the streets in the early morning, come in and get a cup of coffee, its on the house.:jaw:

The bays are open for everyone to work on their sleds or store them in a heated bay over night.
I will also be working on sleds, if you find yourself in need us such.

I have Nitrous in stock, along with race gas (110 octane). We will also be filling BCA avalanche packs at a great low price.

We will also be renting Avalance equipment, from beacons, probes, packs and avalanche packs.

We here at Bearclaw and the Super Eight Motel, wish all of you a safe sporting season. :face-icon-small-hap

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Snow showers and Rain

It rained yesterday in town, and at this time we are having snowshowers. Winds are out of the N-NW at 20-45.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I hope everyone will have a good one.

Had to go down to the trailers and cut a tree off that fell this morning.

You can always check out my out side cam, go down the the bottom and you'll see my web page.

We do have a few sleds in town, but haven't talked to them.

If something changes I'll be sure and let everyone know.

I forgot to mention that I'm renting sleds again this year.

Insomniac62, They are not, they are riding right from town. Just Main street is clear.

I

insomniac62

Nov 19, 2010
Aberdeen, SD
We are at high country, sorry we rode up on you when you were taking care of that tree.

We did ride from town , lulu has better way better snowpack on the trail. North of Lulu has decent snow. Be careful though there are definitely land mines. If you stick to the trees there are spots that are pushing 4 feet of snow.

We cut back to daisy before lunch and hit some chutes on Henderson. Again, snow is def ridable!! We rode up to daisy but it was snowing and blowing so bad we headed in for lunch.

Hanging out waiting for wind to calm and snow to cease.
Hopefully sun will poke out tomorrow as the visibility north of lulu is bad.

Might help some of you make a decision wether or not to come out for xgiving.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Snowman

We'll guys it has started. The dances I've been doing are paying off. The wind picked up last night with snow and by 9 pm the wind had calmed down. It was still snowing when I went to bed. Waking up at 4 am, I found about 2 inches of fresh powder and the temps have fallen. :face-icon-small-sho This morning we have light snow and wind. The snowman is calling for partly cloudy skies tomorrow, we're not going to see snow again till Saturday and Sunday.

The Bakery will be open in the morning for breakfast. :bounce:

I'm hoping everyone is having a great Thanksgiving, be safe on this day.

If your looking for a helmet or most everything else, check us out after you have shopped around. You'll be surprised on the prices we offer. :face-icon-small-hap

insomniac62, no problem, the tree broke loose at the base and was resting on the end of the mobile home. Thanks for understanding.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Colder

Woke up this morning to find a temp. of 8 degrees, at least its above.
The snowman is calling for clear skies today, :face-icon-small-coo but by Saturday night and Sunday should bring additional snow. Lets all help with the snow dance.

Talked to a couple of guys last night and they said if your careful, the riding is good on the back side of Daisy and Lulu Passe.

The Bakery opened today and will be open thru out the season, except for Monday's. If you find yourself wondering the streets early in the morning, stop in for a free cup of coffee. Breakfast starts at 6 AM.:face-icon-small-hap

I'm still stocking the shelves, I think I ordered way to much great things. Stop in and check us out.

Race gas will be here by next Tuesday. We do carry NY-TROUS and will be filling BCA packs again this year.

The garage bays will be open if you need to work on your sleds, cost will be the same as last year. We do loan out tools at no charge and if you want to keep your sled in over night we offer that also.

Rental includes all types of Avalanche Equipment, beacons, propes, packs,shovels and avalanche packs.

As soon as we get somemore snow, I'll start renting snowmobiles.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SNOW

Goodmorning from Cooke City. The snowman is calling for light snow today and for tonight we could see up to 5 inches. Sunday they are calling for another 5 inches, by the time its all over we should see about 12 inches.
Keep up the dancing, the whole country needs snow or rain.

Well the season has started off last night with a report of a person being lost, he walked in on his own and he is OK. Not sure where the sled is.

Avlanche condition is very low. Just be careful for wind loaded areas.

Breakfast for the first day was good, Terri wants to thank everyone that has come in.

Everyone have a good weekend.:bounce:

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SUNDAY

Woke up to about 3.5 inches of snow. Went out and plowed a few places, but by the time I got done, It started snow and its heavey. At this time, its snowing about and inch an hour. :bounce: The snowman is calling for about 5 inches today and another 5 inches over night. :jaw:

If it keep snowing like this, I'll start renting sleds.

The bakery is going to add 3 new items to the menu. Stop in and check it out. :face-icon-small-hap

For me, I've added a few new things also. I have a couple beacons left from last year, so take advantage of the low price.

Don't forget to check out the web cam on my web page. You'll be able to see what the snow is doing LIVE.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Friday and overcast

Morning to all from Cooke City. We find that the snowman is calling for snow or snow showers through Sunday. It seems that the temps. don't want to go down. We will be looking at mid 30's during the day and dropping down to upper 20's to 30 during the night.

We have a few guys show up last night and a few this morning to ride. I'll try and let everyone know how the riding is doing.

Christmas is just around the corner, so I hope everyone is getting ready for it.
If your looking for for goggles to boots, I can ship them out to you.

Just a reminder, if your looking for something to do in the mornings, stop in and get a free cup of coffee from the backery, Terri opens at 6 AM.:clock:

Be safe.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Saturday in Cooke city

Well woke up at 1 am and the power was off. It had been out since about 12:30am. Went out and started the generator for the motel and bearclaw. Sure is nice to have a big one. Came back on around 6:30 am. :bounce:

Well the snowman didn't make it happen over night. We maybe got about 2 more inches. Today we are looking for another 2 inches, but the temp. needs to cool down. We won't see that until tomorrow. We are in a winter storm watch from Sunday morning to Sunday night. It show a 100% chance and a high in the mid 20's.

Terri released the 3 new menu Items to me this morning. She added HUEVOS RANCHEROS, OPENFACE STEAK SANDWICH and a CHICKEN BISCUIT for breakfast. MMMMMM,MMMMM GOOD :face-icon-small-hap

HELMETS, HELMETS, HELMETS, if your looking to by a new helmet I've got them at special prices.

Here is the Super 8 motel special... I've changed it from last year and changed it from this years post. Its going to be 2 guys for 2 nights at a good savings. You can always add more nights if you decide if you want to stay. Call the motel for a booking and you MUST mention that you saw it on SNO WEST.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Premium Features