• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

AXYS Turbo or Summit 850?

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I was all in on your post but then you gave your opinion. Why bother when the first thing you say is don't listen to anyone here.

Next time I'll use my ironic font. My point was just like everyone else, I have an opinion. But if you are not all in on my post I'll be OK.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
True, Just make sure you put the same Amount of fluids in each one, if not , timbre is correct, some will weigh with half full tanks of gas and oil, "cause they go further" and a bunch of other dumba$$ comments and ideas.
What the sled weighs is the weight that should be used for comparisons, if you care .

There ya go ^^^. . .somebody else "gets it" too :)

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Let us know how far that dry weight gets you on the mountain. Last I checked we put fuel and oil in our sleds to ride them.

We do. And then there is also a person who rides the sled (sleds don't go anywhere without a rider), whos weight varies from "bubba" to "toothpick". Then we all carry varying amounts of safety equipment, things in our backpacks, food, drinks, sometimes extra fuel (if you ride a doo :face-icon-small-ton ) So, as one can see, there are many variables when trying to ADD what is required to get the sled moving down the trail and return safely . . . . .which brings us back (via the scenic route) to just weighing the SLED - DRY. No variables there except ....you guessed it . . .the weight of the sled :)

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
We do. And then there is also a person who rides the sled (sleds don't go anywhere without a rider), whos weight varies from "bubba" to "toothpick". Then we all carry varying amounts of safety equipment, things in our backpacks, food, drinks, sometimes extra fuel (if you ride a doo :face-icon-small-ton ) So, as one can see, there are many variables when trying to ADD what is required to get the sled moving down the trail and return safely . . . . .which brings us back (via the scenic route) to just weighing the SLED - DRY. No variables there except ....you guessed it . . .the weight of the sled :)

Dry weight is just a number to help Polaris sell sleds. Right on their own web page they say "estimated dry weight". I'm sure you know what estimated means. It could be 15 lbs heavier and no one would even know because no customer has ever weighed a sled that was truly dry. So the numbers can be fudged. As soon as you show us an axys on the scale at 408 lbs then we can go off the dry weight. Until then we will go off wet weight. We ride our sleds wet so dry weight is as useless to a customer as tits on a boar pig.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Dry weight is just a number to help Polaris sell sleds.

Wet weight is just a number that helps the heavier sleds sell. . . which is great.
I say the brand with the smallest gas and oil tanks could actually win this battle :) But then they would have to pack extra gas and oil. Humm . . .Sounds logical to me . . . .

T
I know this is not a stock sled but this sled weighed in at 355 lbs. That's over a 50 lbs of weight loss. With wet weights it can be all over the board because of the fluid capacity is not the same from brand to brand. In the end I think it all comes down to what sled you feel more comfortable on. I ride an Axys and have swap sleds with my buddy who rides an XM. I feel really awkward on his sled and he feels really awkward on mine. I have ridden a gen4 850 and I felt that it is really similar with the XM but more responsive. The 850 looks to be a great sled but I felt just as awkward on it then I did on my buddies XM. Best thing to do is to make your decision after test riding both sleds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKzhjNlFUtU

Last edited:
B
Feb 18, 2009
In a word . . .YES! It is the ONLY weight that matters, because that is what the SLED weighs, and SLEDS are what we are weighing. But this has been debated over and over and over. So one can just believe what they want to believe, and ride whatever makes them happy :)

I remember the doo doo guys using the same words. Doo solved some of their weight issue by putting on a smaller gas tank and crowing "wet weight" . . haha! I guess one could put on a 2 gallon gas tank and talk "wet weight" too . . . and there are some that would actually listen and believe :)

Where did you see that dry weight of 450# published?

No one rides a sled dry, period! Furthermore, I have never seen anyone leave the lot for a day of riding with a full tank minus a couple gallons. So in the end the actual riding weight is equivalent, it really comes down to range. If the snow is deep and you ride hard the Poo will likely have better range.

The 850 is known to be easier to ride and requires less effort. The Axys is known to hold an extreme sidehill a *LITTLE* better.

All in all both are great sleds but there have been a LOT of people who have sold their Axys to buy an 850, even some Axys's with turbos. That says a lot about the 850 *fun* factor!

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Wet weight is just a number that helps the heavier sleds sell. . . which is great.
I say the brand with the smallest gas and oil tanks could actually win this battle :) But then they would have to pack extra gas and oil. Humm . . .Sounds logical to me . . . .

Except the fact that my 850 with its 9 gallon tank runs out of fuel in the same distance as my buddies axys and cats so....... it uses less fuel. No reason to have an 11 gallon tank when 9 will do.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Had a chance to ride the axis turboed from red line this winter and was dam impressed how well it was tuned and ran.. same similar hp feel to my impulse Etec kit but with a better spool..

Biggest problem was the Poo steering.. I was fighting it the entire time and running boards little narrow for me..

Also have a buddy that got the 18cat, loves it so far

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Except the fact that my 850 with its 9 gallon tank runs out of fuel in the same distance as my buddies axys and cats so....... it uses less fuel. No reason to have an 11 gallon tank when 9 will do.

Not the same experience here. Guys with the 850's are running out quicker. They thought they had more miles on than guys with Axys' but nearly identical miles. That's over 20% bigger tank on the Axys. No way the 850 does that much better on fuel mileage.

B
Feb 18, 2009
Not the same experience here. Guys with the 850's are running out quicker. They thought they had more miles on than guys with Axys' but nearly identical miles. That's over 20% bigger tank on the Axys. No way the 850 does that much better on fuel mileage.

How much is left in the Axys sleds under these conditions? Are the riders playing as hard? Just trying to understand how close it is...

Premium Features