• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Still Love the Axys Chassis

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I really love the way this sled feels. Is the Matryx worth the upgrade.? It seems larger maybe? The Dash looks so big, We still have both chassis in our group but I have not ridden the new one yet. I keep putting improvements into my 2018 Axys and love the sled.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I'm a taller rider at 6'5", and the narrowing of the tank on the Matryx, assuming for trail cornering, minimizes the leverage I can exert on the tank to help steer with my knees. The Matryx, at least for me, requires more body input as I can't stabilize myself from the knees down. A shorter framed rider may find benefit of this narrower setup.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Me to but I'm too cheap to buy new anymore ...wrapping a 5 or 6 year old sled around a tree makes more sense than doing it to a $25 k sled ...agility & ability are still the same handicap in either case

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
The Matryx is the real deal. Although I still love the Axys, the Matryx is better. It feels smaller when riding for sure as the hood feels narrower.as well as the seat. The tapered tunnel on the Slash makes a striking difference too. I really thought it was a farce as I never noticed the drag difference when on edge and I still don't. Where I really notice the cut tunnel is that the sled rarely gets stuck as it can keep digging for traction and does not get hung up on the rear of the runing boards nearly as much. My 2023 165 Matryx Khaos seems to have nearly the same traction as my 174 Axys with series 7 track.. My 21 Axys Khaos also had the 2.75" track and did not seem to get around as well as my 23. Finally I wasn't happy that the 23 had gained a bit of weight over my 21 Axys. What I now realize is that it actually feels lighter because the weight of the heat exchanger has been moved forward and is more centralized.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Will still wait till used prices drop to a reasonable level ...four years later peps still asking same prices for same sled four / five years later ....
steam will run out of this soon enough with the rate hikes and people forced to unburden themselves ....

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Also, I have gotten to the point where I just know what to do when working on an axys. Everything is familiar. How is working on the Matryx?
Everything you love about the AXYS is still present on the Matryx. But the Matryx offers a bit more. The only thing I dislike about the Matryx is that the side panels are more fragile in my opinion as they are made up of more pieces that can break apart. There is something else that is very noticable on the Matryx too. The ignition pickups have way more resolution and I believe the ECU has been improved to provide better tuning capabilities where the ECU can react faster so the sled runs better. The Cobra cord is the real deal too. My 23 feels so much easier to pull over. My wife can start my 23 while she has a hard time with my 19.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
All the above seems pretty spot on. The tunnel improvements on the Matryx make a difference, but hard to send a good, or great, performing Axys down the road. I'll ride my old Axys and wait for what's next.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
If i had nothing, i would definitely choose the Matryx.
If i already have a good condition 2019+ Axys, i wouldn't trade it in for the Matryx.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

mrooks17

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2021
Ohio
I think there is a difference per type of snow conditions. I say this only from my last years ride when we were at Rabbit Ears. My buddies 19' AXYS and My 22' Matryx slash. Both 155's. We got roughly 3.5ft of fresh on top of a previous nights 3ft of fresh. The drag of the axys vs the matryx was clear. He really struggled as he would trench and bottom out and also struggle with taking off from a stop. My sled just kept going till it was basically vertical in the fluff. It would dig and pop back up on the snow, where his just wouldn't pop out.
When the sun came out the following day and the snow settled in, he had no troubles and it was hard to see a significant difference at our skill level.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I think there is a difference per type of snow conditions. I say this only from my last years ride when we were at Rabbit Ears. My buddies 19' AXYS and My 22' Matryx slash. Both 155's. We got roughly 3.5ft of fresh on top of a previous nights 3ft of fresh. The drag of the axys vs the matryx was clear. He really struggled as he would trench and bottom out and also struggle with taking off from a stop. My sled just kept going till it was basically vertical in the fluff. It would dig and pop back up on the snow, where his just wouldn't pop out.
When the sun came out the following day and the snow settled in, he had no troubles and it was hard to see a significant difference at our skill level.
I would not have believed this before owning a Matryx. My 165 Matryx with 2.75" lug track seems to have nearly the same traction of my 174 Axys with 3" lugs. Can't wait to try out the new Series 9 track.

mrooks17

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2021
Ohio
Do you think the new series 9 is way too much track for an 850 n/a up in elevation?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Do you think the new series 9 is way too much track for an 850 n/a up in elevation?
If it is a 165 it might be. Clutching and gearing can help. I will be on a 165 Boost this season and it might be worse than a N/A to stab the throttle to get the track to spin. That might be a lot of track to spin prior to building boost. If you can't spin the track easily it is harder to intitiate to get the sled on edge and it will want to just push forward. Power and traction need to be balanced for the best ride.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I have a 21 850 khaos 155 with a cut and tapered tunnel, skinz narrow tank, x3 track and a 23 9R khaos 155. I personally like the chassis of my Axys better. With what is done to it, it feels skinny like the matryx but is lighter than the matryx.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

F

Funzy0798

Nov 6, 2023
Colorado
I have a 21 850 khaos 155 with a cut and tapered tunnel, skinz narrow tank, x3 track and a 23 9R khaos 155. I personally like the chassis of my Axys better. With what is done to it, it feels skinny like the matryx but is lighter than the matryx.

Any info on your tapered axys tunnel? did you use the CR kit, or DIY? Pics would be cool too. Add a cooler to help? Thanks!

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I had mine cut and welded with no kit. Just found a very talented welder that has done my friends. This was a boondocker build so we went from 155 stock rails to 146 Khaos rails. I also have the khaos kit from raptor. Then we cut 12 inches off the tunnel. The guy was talented enough I probaby could have had him taper it back but wasn't sure on the cooling with that much cut off. Luckly mine is a SKS and has the extra heat exchanger in front of the track. It stays cool on the trail with no scratcherrs.

PXL_20230218_135053961.jpeg PXL_20230218_135103231.jpeg IMG_20191214_160442.jpeg

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Any info on your tapered axys tunnel? did you use the CR kit, or DIY? Pics would be cool too. Add a cooler to help? Thanks!
I used a mtntk 5 ft cooler, a bmfab matryx rear bumper and some sheet aluminum. Cut probably a foot off the back and used the matryx bumper as a template. The mtntk cooler keeps it cool in all but spring conditions. And the heat down the center keeps the ice from building up on the running boards.

F

Funzy0798

Nov 6, 2023
Colorado
I used a mtntk 5 ft cooler, a bmfab matryx rear bumper and some sheet aluminum. Cut probably a foot off the back and used the matryx bumper as a template. The mtntk cooler keeps it cool in all but spring conditions. And the heat down the center keeps the ice from building up on the running boards.

Ah gotcha so you bypassed the stock cooling and use the mtntk cooler only. Makes sense. Have any pics?

Premium Features