• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

AXYS Turbo or Summit 850?

R
Nov 1, 2012
Vermont
I have a 2016 Axys now. I have a chance to upgrade to a Demo 2017 Axys with a boondocker sidekick. Do you think this is the right way to go or should I go to the 850 Summit?

Base sled to base sled, I'm more impressed with the summit than the stock AXYS, but upgraded shocks and a turbo maybe AXYS is the way to go??

What about re-sale value 2 years from now?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I'm not here to tell you what to do. I had an axys with silber turbo and had my wife's 850. Both super fun sleds. I had always had them out on different days. When I had both out on the same day I liked my wife's sled better. I only rode my axys, with turbo, 2 days and sold it to my riding buddy and bought an 850. My wife told me that I am never happy. She also said that she had never heard of anyone who just put a turbo on selling it. Power is easy to remedy, handling is not. It sounds like you have rode both. Buy the sled you like the best and then factor the turbo in.
As far as resale value, buy high and sell low is my motto. Works like a charm.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I have a 2016 Axys now. I have a chance to upgrade to a Demo 2017 Axys with a boondocker sidekick. Do you think this is the right way to go or should I go to the 850 Summit?

Base sled to base sled, I'm more impressed with the summit than the stock AXYS, but upgraded shocks and a turbo maybe AXYS is the way to go??

What about re-sale value 2 years from now?

If you have the funds to get the turbo, you will never regret that decision as far as riding goes. Axys is lighter, more nimble, sidehills FAR better, and looks WAAAAYYY better.

As for resale value, don't expect to get even half of what you paid when you try to sell a turbo sled. Savvy buyers know how a turbo shortens the life of a sled, and those who remove the turbo and call it "stock" without disclosing that it had a turbo, are just plain dishonest (to put it mildly).

I would say stock to stock (Axys and Doo) the Axys will hold value better (at least 2017 sleds) due to all the issues the new 850 is having. The Axys is spot on this year!! Those 850s might be a bit hard to get rid of. The 2018 doo doo should have all the problems fixed - one would hope :)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I absolutely LOVE my 3 850's, and have a brand new MPI Turbo kit sitting on the floor in my garage.

Just as soon as the SnoWest Forum ride is done with next weekend the Turbo Install will begin.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
First of all, don't listen to anyone here! Find which chassis you like better. Turbo's are getting cheaper and cheaper so you can always add to either sled.

However, my opinion is that there seems to be more issues with the Doo. Maybe they will work them out for next year. Or maybe they are not as bad as what I read in the Doo section. There are Axys issues too. I just replaced my relays because they were corroded. But the Axys with a turbo is about the weight of a G4!

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Having had the chance to ride both options you listed as well as option C... I would buy the new 18 cat... Seriously. It has the power of the Doo 850 with Axys handling without the hassle of a turbo or having to swap on a bunch of aftermarket a arms etc.. Say what you want about the reliability of two stroke turbos having a warranty is nice piece of mind if nothing else. For real make sure you ride an 18 Cat before you finalize your decision I think you will be surprised.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I would love to ride an 18 cat. I rode a buddy's 17 cat. I was on an axys but really acclimated to my wife's 850 because that was the only thing I had rode for the year. The 17 cat felt like a sluggish turd to me. Might have needed to ride it longer but didn't fall in love and I love the axys.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Having had the chance to ride both options you listed as well as option C... I would buy the new 18 cat... Seriously. It has the power of the Doo 850 with Axys handling without the hassle of a turbo or having to swap on a bunch of aftermarket a arms etc.. Say what you want about the reliability of two stroke turbos having a warranty is nice piece of mind if nothing else. For real make sure you ride an 18 Cat before you finalize your decision I think you will be surprised.

On the BOLD.
Thats a bit of a stretch . . . haha Reminds me of how all the doo doo guys (including Dave Neurotic) that were crowing about how the new Doo was a "game changer" before they even had ridden one. Oh it changed the game alright. . on how to blow belts the quickest :) They will get it figured out though for the 2018 model.

Now the new cat comes out, and its going to be a "game changer" too. Based on history, its just speculation at this point :)

On a side note . . .Do you know what the dry weight is on the new cat? They seem to have omitted that from all of the promotional materials i have read. Is it the same or heavier?

Last edited:

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
On the BOLD.
Thats a bit of a stretch . . . haha Reminds me of how all the doo doo guys (including Dave Neurotic) that were crowing about how the new Doo was a "game changer" before they even had ridden one. Oh it changed the game alright. . on how to blow belts the quickest :) They will get it figured out though for the 2018 model.

Now the new cat comes out, and its going to be a "game changer" too. Based on history, its just speculation at this point :)

On a side note . . .Do you know what the dry weight is on the new cat? They seem to have omitted that from all of the promotional materials i have read. Is it the same or heavier?

Never did I say it was a game changer. Significant improvement over previous cats. Enough that I would rank it ahead of the 850 in power and equal to the Axys in handling. This isn't speculation either I rode it and have rode the others. It's the real deal. I think a lot of people that ride it will be surprised. Does dry weight really matter? Can you ride a sled dry? 450 lbs is the dry weight on the model released so far approximately 15 lbs heavier than the 3" equipped Axys.

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
This is a no-brainer for me based on where I live and the conditions I ride in....Turbo Axys all day long.

The 850 XM is a fun sled, as I've ridden several and I really do like the new G4. I haven't seen any of the gremlins that we read about and I've been out with five different G4's.....but a turboed Axys is a whole different animal and is simply not a fair comparison to a stock or piped XM.

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
I have a stock Axys, Turbo Pro 6-7psi, and a buddy with a 850. IMO the 850 hangs with the Turbo Pro for the most part (tree riding), but Even in stock form when I ride the Axys there's sometimes I wait for him to catch up. That being said he maybe doing or trying something back there that I'm not aware of. The 850 stock is a very capable sled and maybe more then most can push to its limits, but a Turbo Axys(have ridden a couple) is hard to beat IF you can ride it to its full potential.

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
First of all, don't listen to anyone here! Find which chassis you like better. Turbo's are getting cheaper and cheaper so you can always add to either sled.

However, my opinion is that there seems to be more issues with the Doo. Maybe they will work them out for next year. Or maybe they are not as bad as what I read in the Doo section. There are Axys issues too. I just replaced my relays because they were corroded. But the Axys with a turbo is about the weight of a G4!
I was all in on your post but then you gave your opinion. Why bother when the first thing you say is don't listen to anyone here.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Does dry weight really matter? Can you ride a sled dry? 450 lbs is the dry weight on the model released so far approximately 15 lbs heavier than the 3" equipped Axys.

In a word . . .YES! It is the ONLY weight that matters, because that is what the SLED weighs, and SLEDS are what we are weighing. But this has been debated over and over and over. So one can just believe what they want to believe, and ride whatever makes them happy :)

I remember the doo doo guys using the same words. Doo solved some of their weight issue by putting on a smaller gas tank and crowing "wet weight" . . haha! I guess one could put on a 2 gallon gas tank and talk "wet weight" too . . . and there are some that would actually listen and believe :)

Where did you see that dry weight of 450# published?

L

Lopsangsherpa

Dec 24, 2015
Colorado
I got my first turbo (BD Sidekick) this year on my 16' axys and the thing absolutely rages. I have been so happy with it and have had a blast riding it.

Being new to turbos and far from a mechanic I would say you should also consider if there is someone near you that can maintain/tune the turbo if necessary. I am fortunate to have a shop close by that takes care of everything and makes sure that every time I pull the rope it runs like it should. I would never have done the turbo had I not had that service available near me. Just food for thought.

A
Jan 28, 2010
Skidoo and polaris are time bombs ! I'd go with cat or yamaha and ride in the trees all day long with the time bombs and still have enough energy to pull them out when they grenade

H
Feb 16, 2009
Skidoo and polaris are time bombs ! I'd go with cat or yamaha and ride in the trees all day long with the time bombs and still have enough energy to pull them out when they grenade

can't argue with you there but the second part .. From my experience
When it's real deep and can barely get around on the flat .. The only sleds that work well are the axys and even the pros
Nothing else even sees the trees .. Even the 850 s they just trench out .
I thought this year we would have some competition . Maybe the 18 cat ?

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
In a word . . .YES! It is the ONLY weight that matters, because that is what the SLED weighs, and SLEDS are what we are weighing. But this has been debated over and over and over. So one can just believe what they want to believe, and ride whatever makes them happy :)

I remember the doo doo guys using the same words. Doo solved some of their weight issue by putting on a smaller gas tank and crowing "wet weight" . . haha! I guess one could put on a 2 gallon gas tank and talk "wet weight" too . . . and there are some that would actually listen and believe :)

Where did you see that dry weight of 450# published?

Let us know how far that dry weight gets you on the mountain. Last I checked we put fuel and oil in our sleds to ride them.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
Let us know how far that dry weight gets you on the mountain. Last I checked we put fuel and oil in our sleds to ride them.

True, Just make sure you put the same Amount of fluids in each one, if not , timbre is correct, some will weigh with half full tanks of gas and oil, "cause they go further" and a bunch of other dumba$$ comments and ideas.
What the sled weighs is the weight that should be used for comparisons, if you care .

Premium Features