• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any warranty issues with using Amsoil in XM?

B
Apr 4, 2008
NW MT
I've always used Amsoil in all my sleds with great results...is Ski Doo making it a warranty issue if you use anything but thier oil in the E-tech engines?

I have alot of the Amsoil Interceptor on hand and would like to use it.

What are you guys hearing? What are dealers saying?

Don't want to mess up a three year warranty, since this will be the first sled (or Ski Doo I've owned) I haven't heavily modded in over a decade.

Last edited:
A

AkLogan

Nov 26, 2007
Kenai, Alaska
They can not deny your warranty for using oil that meets there requirements. Otherwise they have to supply you there oil.

D
Oct 17, 2008
Oak Grove, MN
They can not deny your warranty for using oil that meets there requirements. Otherwise they have to supply you there oil.

Not true. Doo will / can void warranty for not using their synthetic on your new ETEC. Talk to your dealer. It's not worth losing a 3 year warranty based on assumptions (And why would doo be responsible for supplying you the oil??). I don't see that happening.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Ok, here we go again on the oil/warranty question. Someone will dig up the relevant court case and post it shortly.

sled_guy

C
Dec 16, 2011
bc
I saw lots of different oils that were used throughout the piston campaign of 2011. Lots of heads that looked like they came off the top of wood stoves they were so black, but the XPS ones were clean and you could still see the grey moly all over. Do people avoid XPS just because it says skidoo on it? Didn't stop them from buying the sled.

D
Nov 11, 2008
Calgary
Amsoil Interceptor ok in Ski Doo

I think the best thing to do is to call or e-mail Amsoil about this. A few years back this subject came up and if I recall correctly I saw that Amsoil would indemnify their product (and your sled not being covered under warranty if a dealer said Amsoil was the issue). This in my mind should be your insurance. Don't know if I would be too worried about using Amsoil, they are a large company and I am sure they would go to bat for you if you were denied a warranty claim on your Ski-Doo motor. Just my .02.

D
Oct 17, 2008
Oak Grove, MN
I think the best thing to do is to call or e-mail Amsoil about this. A few years back this subject came up and if I recall correctly I saw that Amsoil would indemnify their product (and your sled not being covered under warranty if a dealer said Amsoil was the issue). This in my mind should be your insurance. Don't know if I would be too worried about using Amsoil, they are a large company and I am sure they would go to bat for you if you were denied a warranty claim on your Ski-Doo motor. Just my .02.

Is it really worth going through all the legal back and forth etc, just to save a few bucks on oil? All the time spent trying to prove to BRP that your oil is legite isn't worth it to me. If your denied warranty work, you either foot the bill yourself to get riding again, or risk being down for an extended period of time while fighting an uphill battle.

B
Apr 4, 2008
NW MT
Ski Doo doesn't make oil. I wouldn't be suprised if it is Amsoil. Back in the day (before synthetics were the norm) Ski Doo used Castrol Snowmobile Oil that you could buy on the shelf at many gas stations for a few bucks...they just packaged it and multiplied the price by ten.

The Interceptor is honey colored like the Doo oil and is fully synthetic meeting or surpassing their standards...I think they'd have to prove it wasn't thier oil and that it was substandard.

Sorry to dredge up this old topic, but I was wondering if Doo had backed off the old "use only our oil" bs or if they'd smartened up to just requiring a synthetic that meets or exceeds theirs.

By the way, Ski Doo doesn't make belts either...lol.

D
Sep 6, 2011
Calgary
Ski Doo doesn't make oil. I wouldn't be suprised if it is Amsoil. Back in the day (before synthetics were the norm) Ski Doo used Castrol Snowmobile Oil that you could buy on the shelf at many gas stations for a few bucks...they just packaged it and multiplied the price by ten.

The Interceptor is honey colored like the Doo oil and is fully synthetic meeting or surpassing their standards...I think they'd have to prove it wasn't thier oil and that it was substandard.

Sorry to dredge up this old topic, but I was wondering if Doo had backed off the old "use only our oil" bs or if they'd smartened up to just requiring a synthetic that meets or exceeds theirs.

By the way, Ski Doo doesn't make belts either...lol.

It's still made by Castrol

Superduty348

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
BC
last year when I was talking to the doo rep he said they used the syn blend in their prototypes

C
Dec 16, 2011
bc
Castrol stopped making it a few years back. When they developed etec's they reformulated their oil with another company. I believe its the same guys that produce Motorex, and I challenge anyone to say that that stuff is ****.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
The new doo xps oil is now dyed a reddish color so dealers can identify if customers are using doo oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features