• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Catalyst twin rail

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
What is it that we want in a twin rail?
Will you be satisfied with the Power claw 3" with a 3" pitch?
Or is it the Alpha track 3.5" pitch in a twin rail configuration?
Is it something else?
Personally I would like to see the pitch standardized so we could easily swap a 2.6 track in for spring riding or throw in the 3 inch for powder. With the Catalyast track swap being so easy it should be an option. I realize it is doable now but you also need a second driveshaft extra cost and parts to carry around.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
It would be nice if the 2.6 and 3 were the same pitch, but highly doubt that will ever happen. The easy track change is so amazing, pretty much like a belt drive Polaris. I can swap a track out in under 20 by myself. I swap out my new track for a beater track for early season riding when you’re bouncing off logs, rocks and stumps occasionally, then swap in the new track when the snow is deep enough. Being able to do that for spring, set up snow, is nice too.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
3.0 pitch seems to be a good middle ground. Both the old 2.6 and 3.0 powerclaws were pretty good all-around tracks with that pitch. A big justification for the twin rail is to have something that works well all around.

A 3.5 pitch seems to be the ticked for bottomless snow, but if all out performance in that arena is that important to you then stick with the alpha.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
There are ups and downs with the larger pitch tracks
A test you can do if you have some old iron is just pull a old sled with a 2.52 pitch across the ground, rolls freely. Then of course pull your 3.5 alpha or any 3.5. they just skid.
That said, I still love my lynx track 165*3*15- 3.5 pitch but there has to be some efficiency loss happening that I don't notice
I think the 2.86 drive has superior aspects. Way more choices for the used market, more designs available, must roll easier.

3" is good but your stuck with cat tracks, camo extremes, and mavericks. Not necessarily bad but not a lot of options

3.5 has grip, moves the snow. We've all felt it. Super noisy. Probably the only reason the alpha works. But not many options, however we seem to be getting more every year.
Kinda thinking 3.25 on my 25

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
should they do the same ol twin rail trail sled spacing of the rails?
Clinging to a dimension for track availability is not forward thinking imo.
Cat is the one to play with this until they find something that sticks. All of the manuevers we learn and practice are from getting trail sleds to work off trail

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Kmods new rail spacing option for Polaris is interesting. Halfway between the old standard and the Alpha. Expensive option but having Camso do a run of custom tracks would have been very expensive for Kevin. Kudos to small manufacturers being innovators.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I am a little surprised at the lack of response on this topic. It seems everyone wanted a twin rail or they wont buy. Maybe its a case of wanting what you can't have or guys not really interested in buying a Catalyst? Personally I am good with the Alpha rail and wont condemn it until i ride a Catalyst with one. I would not want to have a twin rail with the 3 in p/c with the 3 in pitch. I think that track is a step back from the Alpha 3.5 pitch, its always hard to go back to less, unless it weight.

R
Feb 26, 2008
I personally think Im gonna stay with an alpha but its dumb to not have the option.
Thats the biggest hang up I hear from guys wanting to switch from Poo to Cat is they want a twin rail. No sense in limiting your market to only cat guys.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
The two reasons I would not buy a Cat is no twin rail and the dealer network has been decimated. I think the Catalyst chassis looks promising, but the guy that developed the Alpha rail believes in it so much, he can't see past it. Give people an option, and they will try it.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Not sure if this helps anyone.
Twin rail parts
Front arm 2014-2019
Lower rear arm 2014-2019
Upper rear arm 2016-2019
Link rod 18-19
Rails im guessing 17 early release to 19
if the catalyst was designed with the upgraded alpha rail in mind, you think the old 14-19 stretched limo skid is gonna be the ticket? it might hold an edge better but something will be off in the handling no doubt

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
if the catalyst was designed with the upgraded alpha rail in mind, you think the old 14-19 stretched limo skid is gonna be the ticket? it might hold an edge better but something will be off in the handling no doubt
Have you heard what the difference is between a 23 and 24 alpha rail is?
I heard the front arm is slightly longer, like a quarter inch.
Some valving
Either way I'll compare them on removal.
Don't care bout your uni, my twins gunna be sweet.

Premium Features