• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
I didn't read this as a hypothetical. Sure sounds kind of techy.

We got calls today that 3 went down over the week end.

Ditto.....

It's a little lame.... But from a BEAN counter stand point it's the only way to solve both bottom end problems without replacing crankshaft & crankcase.

And they will both work, The bearing deal is a little risky to not over do it and over crush the outside race and friction weld the bearing.

My guess is the 2020 will not be done this way but it gets them out of a jam on the bottom end.

Pretty sure that after the engineer in charge saw the way I machined a by-pass around the center seals....... And then ran the guts out of it they were comfortable with punching holes in the center seals.

Just a hunch.

Pretty good low cost bail out on the case..... They owe the bearing company if time for a quick fix run.

Now they just gotta figure out how to get the cylinder finish honed correctly.

Dan

Last edited:

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
We got calls today that 3 went down over the week end.

Ditto.....

It's a little lame.... But from a BEAN counter stand point it's the only way to solve both bottom end problems without replacing crankshaft & crankcase.

And they will both work, The bearing deal is a little risky to not over do it and over crush the outside race and friction weld the bearing.

My guess is the 2020 will not be done this way but it gets them out of a jam on the bottom end.

Pretty sure that after the engineer in charge saw the way I machined a by-pass around the center seals....... And then ran the guts out of it they were comfortable with punching holes in the center seals.

Just a hunch.

Pretty good low cost bail out on the case..... They owe the bearing company if time for a quick fix run.

Now they just gotta figure out how to get the cylinder finish honed correctly.

Dan

Dan, how much weight you run in your Primary with that monster 850 at sea level? We are over reving with 10-74's. We are hearing on track dyno a lot of power drops off it you rev over 8250. We are going to add more weight.

M
Nov 16, 2011

Dan

This was the engine that was supposed to rebuild the confidence in Polaris' competence to build a reliable engine, and the trust between them and their customers. It didn't happen. To me it was more interesting to see how they would solve the problems with the 850. Everyone makes mistakes, it is how you deal with them that separates men from mice.

The described solution is interesting, a bit outside the box, but also a bit half assed, and I'm unsure if it will be a trust builder.

J
Feb 5, 2016
Both on here and facebook I don’t think we have over 15 or 20 documented 850 down, if they sold 10-14k, I believe this is a success. Only time will tell, too early to say good or bad at this time.

Go see on the ski doo 850 fb page, they are on their third year on the gen 4 850 and that page is ugly to read.

T
Jun 14, 2014
Coon Rapids Mn
Both on here and facebook I don’t think we have over 15 or 20 documented 850 down, if they sold 10-14k, I believe this is a success. Only time will tell, too early to say good or bad at this time.

Go see on the ski doo 850 fb page, they are on their third year on the gen 4 850 and that page is ugly to read.

I know of 5 that are not on snowest or facebook. Not everyone has snowest and a lot of people don't post about whats happened to their sled because of all the brand bashing going on.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
I know of 5 that are not on snowest or facebook. Not everyone has snowest and a lot of people don't post about whats happened to their sled because of all the brand bashing going on.

Very true, it still seems like a hundred or less if you count the internet and talk to dealers you trust. Even if it's 200 out of 10,000 and the problem shows up early or not at all then it won't be catastrophic as we fear. As we get to the end of year one we will have a much better idea. Also many will get new motors with the fix. I for one am happy we bought 850's as they are incredible mountain sleds and so much fun to ride with next level performance compared to our staged AXYS's. When going from the 850 or vice versa to the staged AXYS that rips, it is amazing what the 850 stock will do!!!

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
Update. My buddy's 840 went down over the weekend around 480 miles. He said it went chitty chitty bang bang before it seized. So likely a piston. Just guessing. He went and bought an alpha.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
I have a sneaking suspicion that this problem doesn't go away. As the year goes on and more miles get on these sleds, problems will show up. You have to remember. Many of thes sleds have little to no miles on them.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Update. My buddy's 840 went down over the weekend around 480 miles. He said it went chitty chitty bang bang before it seized. So likely a piston. Just guessing. He went and bought an alpha.

Wow....someone likes negative equity! Why not just let Polaris warranty it and ride it for the year. I guess some people have $10G to lose in depreciation......

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY

Keep your fingers crossed he doesn’t wreck the rail. I’m hearing they are already out of parts.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Wow....someone likes negative equity! Why not just let Polaris warranty it and ride it for the year. I guess some people have $10G to lose in depreciation......
Funny thing as soon as it has a new motor in his 840 he can probably turn around and sell it for what he paid for it, they are worth good money right now, and with Cats recent rebates you can get new Alphas all day for under 12k... actually know of a brand new 154" for under 11k :face-icon-small-con , long story short he will probably put money in his pocket going to the Kitty. Not all dumb.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I would actually guess the 840s value will drop about 2k as we get closer to snowcheck, if you want out now is the right time IMO, riding it through the rest of the season will get expensive.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
discouraging to lose your sled in january due to manufacturing problem...an uncertain fix timetable, maybe a repeat of the problem, days tick by, and shoot, i just want to ride the premium days, maybe not that many....i could certainly see getting another sled if the money issue could be solved, done it myself a couple of times....i can make up the money in the summer, can't make up two feet of new snow and a bluebird day....:face-icon-small-dis

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
so i had a dental implant put in this morning...cut the gum open, grind the jaw bone for a flat spot to start the drill, drill a hole in bone to put in the implant, screw in the implant (felt like 3 inches, but probably less), stitches and then more stitches....lidocaine wearing off, hurts like hell, pop a pain med, start feeling mellow, open up snowest forums, read this thread....life is good :face-icon-small-coo

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Dan and all. I am sorry for the earlier post, I thought that the ending would be a clue that I was just joking around? But I wouldn't put it past them to try something like that? The bearing would have to be ground to that configuration due to the precision that has to be held. Then taking a case and torquing over a pinpoint edge would be a crap shoot without distortion, either diametrically or linearly! I laughed like H--- before I hit the send button, but felt like the same way later for doing so! I Prolaris I will not do the same in the future? Thanks all for the understanding? PS, I do wish this engine would be the game changer for all that purchased, but for some not to be! Mike

Premium Features