• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Hey Indydan, how many 850’s have you seen down,or do you know of that have
shat out? Thanks.

A lot more then what the pole shows....... Trump suggests poles don't work very well..... It's a chest pumping event to say my guy is winning.... Or mind is running great...... It's not fun to say my $14,000 POS is broke down waiting for parts.

Brand loyalist do not find it entertaining to anounce their favorite brand has failed..... And this will forever be the case.

And the OEM benefits from it big time.

I heard a few ( rumors ) Polaris ran out of ( reserve ) motors...... And are waiting for the emergency build to get done.

This is much much bigger then what shows on this forum..... There is a gentle hush coming over the crowd of ( This is an isolated incident ) with early builds only.

The 2019 model will haunt Polaris thru the 4 year warranty and far past that... The 2020 should be a simple fix.

Updates to a in service model year unit are not easy for the bean counters.... ( trust me this is rocking Polaris's world ) .....Waiting for Polaris to solve this within the model year is like waiting for diesel fuel to drop under a buck a gallon.

Dan

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
That is really where they will lose customers if they are out of motors. My buddy's was less than a week. He didn't miss a weekend. Sucks to break down but if they remedy it quick an fix the problem you will forgive them. Kind of like eating out. If you get bad service but food is good or vise versa you will go back but if you have both together you are done.

B
Jan 14, 2019
Keep us posted.

Handful of reports of problems, but nothing really documented here. Lots of skepticism.

Would be great if you could really document your findings.

One reported issue of oil line coming off, another of mis-applied sealant in the case halves during assembly.
3 sleds in my town this happened too already. Mine has wicked bogging issues at low rpm stabs . I’m in the right mode belt is adjusted running good fuel and oil

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
That is really where they will lose customers if they are out of motors. My buddy's was less than a week. He didn't miss a weekend. Sucks to break down but if they remedy it quick an fix the problem you will forgive them. Kind of like eating out. If you get bad service but food is good or vise versa you will go back but if you have both together you are done.

Thats why every dealer got a demo they were ready.

D

Dabull

Nov 26, 2007
utah
A lot more then what the pole shows....... Trump suggests poles don't work very well..... It's a chest pumping event to say my guy is winning.... Or mind is running great...... It's not fun to say my $14,000 POS is broke down waiting for parts.

Brand loyalist do not find it entertaining to anounce their favorite brand has failed..... And this will forever be the case.

And the OEM benefits from it big time.

I heard a few ( rumors ) Polaris ran out of ( reserve ) motors...... And are waiting for the emergency build to get done.

This is much much bigger then what shows on this forum..... There is a gentle hush coming over the crowd of ( This is an isolated incident ) with early builds only.

The 2019 model will haunt Polaris thru the 4 year warranty and far past that... The 2020 should be a simple fix.

Updates to a in service model year unit are not easy for the bean counters.... ( trust me this is rocking Polaris's world ) .....Waiting for Polaris to solve this within the model year is like waiting for diesel fuel to drop under a buck a gallon.

Dan

I call BS. ????

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
I call BS. ????

LOL !!

BS on what ?

On the fact that the new 850 has a few major design issues ?

That the new Polaris 850 is a pig while in break in mode ?

The new Polaris 850 was over hyped ? its not fast on the top-end ( The 2003 Arctric Cat Firecat was fast ) this things a mutt so far.

It has awesome mid-range power once broke in.........but has no top-end performance and its an embarasment on the Big end...and you better stay away from a Good running 800 Axys on the Big end.

And surely stay away from the 850 ski Doo....

Polaris better get their chit together and send out a fuel map that lets this thing unwind on the top-end.

Its a mutt on top-end the way its set up.

Dan

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
LOL !!

BS on what ?

The new Polaris 850 was over hyped ? its not fast on the top-end ( The 2003 Arctric Cat Firecat was fast ) this things a mutt so far.

It has awesome mid-range power once broke in.........but has no top-end performance and its an embarasment on the Big end...and you better stay away from a Good running 800 Axys on the Big end.

Polaris better get their chit together and send out a fuel map that lets this thing unwind on the top-end.

Dan

I will say you are wrong about top end pull. It rips. Far better than the 850 Doo that my buddy rides. (clutching and gearing are definitely a factor) But it probably would go even much better with a leaner map.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Give polaris a few years to get the mapping right, isnt that what they did with the 800??

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Yup a few years. The '11 pro 800 was pig rich, every year after they ran better and better. Took them a few years but they got the mapping figured out eventually. Many thousands sold during this time. My guess is the 850 will be similar but they will get it tuned up in a shorter time span, maybe 2-3 years instead.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Given the current topic in this thread, I'm curious if an aftermarket map by Silber would help this sled achieve some of it's potential. Is there anyone running the N/A mapping from Silber?

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
I have heard of a straggler or 2 that are ( called fast ) but most guys are saying they are mutts on the top-end.

I can't speak accurtely about our shop 850's because there is not enough time on them.

Our shop 129" 850 xc punches really hard in the mid-range with just under 10 hours on it but on top-end its no faster then an 800 Axys.

It feels pig fat on top-end......i would love to see an AFR guage on this sled my guess its 11 to 11.8 max at WOT.

The first year release should be the fastest year.......back in the old days the first year release almost always whopped a$$.

Dan

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
I will say you are wrong about top end pull. It rips. Far better than the 850 Doo that my buddy rides. (clutching and gearing are definitely a factor) But it probably would go even much better with a leaner map.

This is not common by any stretch... most say they are slow.

I am talking about flat landers when i say slow..... they are the ones that find out about top end speed.

Mountain sleds is much more about Mid Range torque....

You say compared to an 850 ski doo......are you talking hill climbing ?

Or flat out on a lake......? Polaris is a Minnesota company their flatlander sleds should be fast on the big end.

From what i have seen on our shop 129 a Ski Doo 800 will absolutley whip our 850 without a problem.

Dan

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Things that make you go HMMM.

AXYS Mtn. Sleds.... 2016 (1st yr), 2017 (2nd yr), 2018 (3rd yr), 2019 (4th year)

ProRide Mtn 2111, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 (5 years)

IQ Mtn,including the 900/700-'big' motors "pull out"
2005 (only one model)2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010.... (6 years with one really bad year in 2005)

I think we're in for 2020 last year in the AXYS mtn chassis until we see a new one.

Not sure on motors for whatever is next though... but the 900 (866cc) only lasted 2 years in production... talk about engineering down the tube. :face-icon-small-dis

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Dan, maybe Polaris is just messing with your sled to make you pull your hair out. Haha. My sled seemed slow in mtns till breakin was done. This package could it be works better at elevations than at sea level? Hmm

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Dan, maybe Polaris is just messing with your sled to make you pull your hair out. Haha. My sled seemed slow in mtns till breakin was done. This package could it be works better at elevations than at sea level? Hmm
Dan has no hair left to pull out. Post up a pic of that Nicasil exterior honed chrome dome! Hahahhahahhaha Dan.
Signed, the Wobble Man.

Last edited:
D

Dabull

Nov 26, 2007
utah
LOL !!

BS on what ?

Dan
Sorry Dan the 850 is a ripper best sled out of the box hands down

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
So just back from a ride today. We got 2-3 feet of pow on Sunday in probably the biggest storm I've seen here in a year or so.

1 - 850 Doo, 2 - 850 Poo's and two 800 Summits (all 154's) and we were riding at 1500 feet elevation.

Both Poo's had some really annoying clutch slip off and on all day as well. Don't understand this either.

After switching sleds all day, my 850 poo with the 74's was a dog compared to the rest of the pack. Even the over-revving 850 poo with 68's felt better. It just wouldn't rev consistently. Lack's snap ......and I blame this squarely on fuel map.

The bottom end seemed OK, but when you loaded up the motor it couldn't get to 8000.

Still a couple of bog issues, but much better with the 74's

Engine needs work.

OTM

Premium Features