• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Patriot restarts

K
Feb 15, 2023
Colorado
Newb question. I have two 2022 Martyx 850 Khaos 155s. When I cold start them it takes 2-3 pulls like clockwork. If I stop and then restart within a minute or two after they are warmed up, 1/2 pull and good to go. No issue there. However, when riding throughout the day and we stop for any length of time (call it 10 minutes or more) it can take 4 or 5 or more pulls to fire back up. Giving it a little throttle helps, but not always. Fortunately, they always start, but I'm wondering if there is something I can adjust to fix this or is this just a Polaris being a Polaris and I need to live with it? Love these sleds and no complaints otherwise. TIA.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
My 22’ 850 recently started doing that, but very occasionally does it need 4 to 5 or more pulls to start. It doesn’t do it frequent enough for me to be concerned.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Mine did this randomly this past weekend. Never before. I was thinking maybe the tether wasn’t fully engaged. Or maybe ice/slush in the key area???
It took a good 8.
I’ll probably swap plugs before the weekend there got about 700 on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
The 24 850 I rented on my last trip would do that and sometimes it was many more pulls. I found that snow plugging the exhaust was the issue. Maybe it was melting and refreezing after a few minutes vs restarting right away?

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

D
Dec 2, 2012
Quahog
Trail sleds are the same. When heat soaked a little crack of the throttle and it lights 95 percent of the time. The 2015 first year axys I had did the same thing only not as bad. Whereas a buddies 2014 assault starts totally different without the drama. So when they went to the electronic oil pump in 2015 might have something to do with it.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
It might be:

If the pipe sensor cools the ecm will deliver more fuel but the cylinders can still be hot and will not need more. This can cause a bit of flooding. Try hotter plugs if you are still running the BPR9ES Polaris has switched to the BPR8ES.

K
Feb 15, 2023
Colorado
It might be:

If the pipe sensor cools the ecm will deliver more fuel but the cylinders can still be hot and will not need more. This can cause a bit of flooding. Try hotter plugs if you are still running the BPR9ES Polaris has switched to the BPR8ES.
Which engine(s) switched? According the parts catalog 22 thru 25 850s still use the same plug.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk

Premium Features