• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

plumbpowder

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
Nampa, ID
Is Something wrong with my 850 its not hard to start runs like a rapped ape and makes it back to the trailer every ride should I call the dealer and ask why its doing that?

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
little off topic but on topic with your motor knowledge , I had a M-1000 cutler 4 injector turbo I put 3,700 chute pulling miles on it, changed pistons once at 1,500 miles (cat pistons) I would love to have that or even a stock 1000 in my axys most of us always want more power, I know its not your brand but did you ever open up one of those ? and if so what did you think of it ? is there a reason the manufactures don't offer a 1000 twin ? thanks in advance Dan. Also I sure like my 800 axys I found a new 850 0 miles the guy decided to sell but after reading this thread from day 1 I just put a tubo on my 800 I will try out tomorrow for $4000 less

I have had several of these apart..... and I believe I have several of these bottom-ends stash in my shop somewhere.

It’s a great motor..... however I think it’s better turbo charged then it is normally aspirated.

It’s pretty easy to build a big heavy 1000 twin...... It’s not easy to build a light weight 1000 twin.

Light weight 1000 cc twin without a counter balance shaft gets really awful over 800 cc’s

I believe ski doo and Polaris worked their brains hard to build an 850 that will hold together.

Going to even 900cc’s is really a bold task even with their budget.

Suzuki builds some great motors.

Dan

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
It would be another interesting bit of data if all of those reporting a failed engine would include the build date on that engine (if possible), along with the mode of failure. I am sure that Polaris could tie the data of failures to build dates. Maybe this just the engineer in me coming out. Thanks to Dan for his being on this forum/thread!! We have not talked on the phone for about 2 years but I have followed and read all he has said /written here on Snowest. Yes, we need to keep it technical, I agree!!
gtwitch in wyoming

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
I dont think think the build dates have anything to do with it. There are Indys going down that were built in August, Pros going down that were built in October and then Assaults that were built in November. They better get this chit figured out.

exactly what i am hearing.

The PTO bearing set up is so lame it can't be trusted.

And the center over flow check valve will forever be a hanuting factor, Its the one of the poorest thought out set ups i have seen in a long time.

So it doesn't matter when its build its a crap shoot if or when they go down.

Its why i pulled mind down before i rode it i couldn't live with the thought of a polaris going down that i am driving.

Dan

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
I would be curious to know if the long blocks that are replacing bad engines have any changes made or if they are built the same as before. Hard to expect better results with the same shortfalls and no updates.

CrazyBill

Lifetime Membership
Aug 17, 2011
Indiana
It would be another interesting bit of data if all of those reporting a failed engine would include the build date on that engine (if possible), along with the mode of failure. I am sure that Polaris could tie the data of failures to build dates. Maybe this just the engineer in me coming out. Thanks to Dan for his being on this forum/thread!! We have not talked on the phone for about 2 years but I have followed and read all he has said /written here on Snowest. Yes, we need to keep it technical, I agree!!

gtwitch in wyoming
I seriously doubt Polaris can track much of anything. The fuel pump recall I posted last week basically represents that. Polaris wants to know what fuel pump each 850 has (born on date). My dealer let me verify if myself instead of driving two hours for them to look. In this day and age of technology, it is sad that Polaris can't track parts they put on sleds. The industry I work in (steel making), we have complete tracking for all our products. From start to finish. 100% traceability! You would think, they could enter a vin # and know virtually every part in that particular sled. At the very least, know the vender supplied parts and their details.

Bill

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
The new bearing on the PTO end has a machined knife edge groove.007 per surface (.014) larger than the bearing od. When the cases are torqued it will cut it's own groove and lock into place. The starting raw stock is larger than the OD of the machined bearing, so is easily machined with the profile. Add a little loctite and it will never move! The new seals for ctr. bearings are pin point punctured in 5 plcs. to allow oil escape to all surfaces and no excessive pressure build-up! As Fog Horn Leg Horn would say, BOY, I SAY BOY! You are about worthless as an A-- Hole with taste buds!!

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
People die if steel fails. Same with auto OEMs. Not so much with powersports beyond basic engineering and brake/throttle safety. They don't even have to have a tether. Automotive supply chain it's not.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Rode my buddy's sled, that blew up in the first 50 miles, and it's awesome I thought. They got him going again in less than a week. The motor feels smooth and linear down low. It really comes on good in the mid range. Both of us thought the alpha had more bottom end. He doesn't have all his rpm. It is really going to run when it's broke in. Just a little goofy swapping between it and the alpha due to handlebar difference. I could ride one in a heartbeat.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
The new bearing on the PTO end has a machined knife edge groove.007 per surface (.014) larger than the bearing od. When the cases are torqued it will cut it's own groove and lock into place. The starting raw stock is larger than the OD of the machined bearing, so is easily machined with the profile. Add a little loctite and it will never move! The new seals for ctr. bearings are pin point punctured in 5 plcs. to allow oil escape to all surfaces and no excessive pressure build-up! As Fog Horn Leg Horn would say, BOY, I SAY BOY! You are about worthless as an A-- Hole with taste buds!!

Mike...... Is that the official fix coming down the pipe ? Or are you throwing a hypithetical across the bow ?

Dan

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
A guy answered it a few posts up. Waiting to see if he confirms Dan's question if this hypothetical or not.

Premium Features