• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

7S mods to unit

E

Eatstone

Jan 23, 2021
East Kootenay
So I was looking at the specs of the 7s unit and noticed the transmit power and antenna gain on the unit are quite low. Was thinking of swapping in a higher gain antenna but I also think to power would need to increase to realize any gains from an antenna swap.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

IMG_2015.png

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I’m really not sure it’s necessary, personally. I mean we’ve never been out of reach with our 7S in our group. I mean I suppose in an emergency situation you might want to transmit more power so someone further away. I’ve never even tested to see how far you could see someone else on the 7s. I mean part of being safe in the backcountry is being relatively close to your group anyway. Not to mention we have radios and that’s part of the reason I have upgraded to the Rocky Talkie 5 W radio simply because yes, it’s not gonna help me hear others but it’s certainly gonna help others hear me in an emergency situation.

K
Feb 15, 2023
Colorado
I mean besides the possible ramifications of safety and legality I don't think it's needed. I know they advertise 1 mile range but I've been in a few scenarios further than that, and it worked just fine. In the mountains your bigger hurdle is interference from the mountain itself (i.e. ridges and peaks between you and your buddies) that you can't really do anything about. Juice is not worth the squeeze IMO.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk

C
Dec 14, 2020
That's the EU power rating.

In the US I'd bet it's the standard 2 watt. Europe is crazy strict on radio power. Lots of things have a European vs NA version for that reason.

E

Eatstone

Jan 23, 2021
East Kootenay
I’m really not sure it’s necessary, personally. I mean we’ve never been out of reach with our 7S in our group. I mean I suppose in an emergency situation you might want to transmit more power so someone further away. I’ve never even tested to see how far you could see someone else on the 7s. I mean part of being safe in the backcountry is being relatively close to your group anyway. Not to mention we have radios and that’s part of the reason I have upgraded to the Rocky Talkie 5 W radio simply because yes, it’s not gonna help me hear others but it’s certainly gonna help others hear me in an emergency situation.
That’s kinda my point, in an emergency situation it’s important to respond as quickly possible. Some areas we ride in, transmit power and the ability to receive makes all the difference. My 50 watt truck radio can be heard but I can’t hear the guys running 5 or 8 watt BCA’s or Baofengs and it may only be a few km as the crow flies.

E

Eatstone

Jan 23, 2021
East Kootenay
I mean besides the possible ramifications of safety and legality I don't think it's needed. I know they advertise 1 mile range but I've been in a few scenarios further than that, and it worked just fine. In the mountains your bigger hurdle is interference from the mountain itself (i.e. ridges and peaks between you and your buddies) that you can't really do anything about. Juice is not worth the squeeze IMO.

I don’t give a rats ass about legality of stuff in the mountains. Communication and the ability to find your riding partners trumps the law imo.

E

Eatstone

Jan 23, 2021
East Kootenay
That's the EU power rating.

In the US I'd bet it's the standard 2 watt. Europe is crazy strict on radio power. Lots of things have a European vs NA version for that reason.
That’s a great point that I didnt consider. Might be as simple as a higher gain antenna if that’s the case.

K
Feb 15, 2023
Colorado
I don’t give a rats ass about legality of stuff in the mountains. Communication and the ability to find your riding partners trumps the law imo.
Well then. Have at it hero. I'm sure you can think of a better solution than the RF engineers at Trailtech/Polaris. Please give us a report on the improvement(s).

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
That’s true because legally in an emergency situation, you can use any power channel you want and bounce off of any repeater that you want.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Eatstone
Have you torn into a 7s yet? I’m making an assumption that you might have since you’re thinking about rigging up a stronger antenna.
If you have or have knowledge of the inner workings, have you looked into the failures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E

Eatstone

Jan 23, 2021
East Kootenay
Well then. Have at it hero. I'm sure you can think of a better solution than the RF engineers at Trailtech/Polaris. Please give us a report on the improvement(s).

Thanks for your contribution chump. You obviously don’t have skill or intelligent desire to mod.

E

Eatstone

Jan 23, 2021
East Kootenay
Eatstone
Have you torn into a 7s yet? I’m making an assumption that you might have since you’re thinking about rigging up a stronger antenna.
If you have or have knowledge of the inner workings, have you looked into the failures?

No I haven’t yet. I’m looking for a spare first so I don’t potentially bork my main unit.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
No I haven’t yet. I’m looking for a spare first so I don’t potentially bork my main unit.

I’ve got one with a black screen. Randomly died. I’d like to find out what happened. Polaris won’t.
Seems strange it just choked out for no reason never to function again. I’d like to think someone that knows a thing or 2 about electronics could figure it out.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Isn’t there someone on here smart enough to crack these gauges to repair and open up tracking? I’ve been under the impression snowmobilers knew everything about everything for a long time. Now I’m second guessing everything.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Mine died on my 24 Boost. I let B-litt ride my sled in a meadow, he made it all of 30 feet, tipped over, and wrecked my screen. 😂 I dropped it off at the dealer and am hoping they warranty it.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
The only thing I think anybody’s going to need to figure out is how to disable the heat tracking on the 25s…. Sure I want to see where everybody else is riding, but I don’t want anybody seeing where I ride.😂😂

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
It’s warrantied with the sled. 1 year if bought as an accessory after. I had several+ conversations with Polaris 2x, my dealer where I bought the sled and the dealer I bought the 7s from. Like a sucker, I bought another one direct from Polaris the 2nd time.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
The only thing I think anybody’s going to need to figure out is how to disable the heat tracking on the 25s…. Sure I want to see where everybody else is riding, but I don’t want anybody seeing where I ride.

The one I got last week doesn’t have that luckily. Hopefully it doesn’t software update at some point.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
The Polaris phone app has this feature and it can be disabled. Or rather, it's disabled by default
Interesting, I just noticed that in the Polaris app. I turned it on and off for areas that we ride and it doesn’t do anything so not sure what it does. Hopefully you can shut it off just like in the app.

Premium Features