• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2025 Ski-Doo REVEAL

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
I thought the hce was 15 wide also?
Yes I was wrong on that.
That’s an extremely stiff racing suspension setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got to ride one in January. Those shocks are very adjustable and very nice for big jumps and drops. Isn’t that what skidoo says the freeride is for? I rode it on a pretty hard day and it rode like a brick and was hard to get on edge but held it better than any other doo I’ve ridden.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Yes I was wrong on that.

I got to ride one in January. Those shocks are very adjustable and very nice for big jumps and drops. Isn’t that what skidoo says the freeride is for? I rode it on a pretty hard day and it rode like a brick and was hard to get on edge but held it better than any other doo I’ve ridden.

I am familiar with the shock, I have that adjustment style on my summit G5.
The HCE was released to the public so the suspension can be used in stock racing classes.

CROW

Lifetime Membership
Jul 25, 2002
Michigan
I still think it’s odd that they made it a point to highlight Mountain Valley Machine during the whole QR code hype, yet no belt drive for ‘25.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I still think it’s odd that they made it a point to highlight Mountain Valley Machine during the whole QR code hype, yet no belt drive for ‘25.
They probably have ties with Rasmussen, since he's only about a half hour drive away from each other.

G
Feb 9, 2014
Shuswap

I don't think that was the inference. It was just coincidentally a location that Bret put a QR code to scan.
"This a clue to help you find the secret QR code for sneak preview of the 2025 Ski-doos"

Several of the other ambassadors were placing them at their local shops too.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
We will be lucky to see belt drive on the G6. I doubt Doo does it before then.
I'm not bashing belt drive, I've had it on two sleds already (one was a doo). I'm just saying it is not a noticeable improvement in performance over chain. It would not be a factor in my decision of which sled to buy at all.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I'm not bashing belt drive, I've had it on two sleds already (one was a doo). I'm just saying it is not a noticeable improvement in performance over chain. It would not be a factor in my decision of which sled to buy at all.
and its not stronger and also you have to think of everyone, lots of guys dont know how to put on and adjust....its better to leave this tech for guys who think they need it to perform and then to pay for it, cause the price would go up on the sled to. Chain is stronger and easy to adjust and simple.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
and its not stronger and also you have to think of everyone, lots of guys dont know how to put on and adjust....its better to leave this tech for guys who think they need it to perform and then to pay for it, cause the price would go up on the sled to. Chain is stronger and easy to adjust and simple.
Poo and Cat seem to have belt drive figured out. And Doo's chain case setup has not been without problems the past few years.

Belt drive is less overall weight and importantly, less rotating mass. That is something that would improve Doo's handling since it's motor and clutch setup put the rotating mass up much higher than Poo and Cat.

Mass centralization is great, except if that mass is up too high. That's where Cat and Poo have the advantage on Doo. Try riding them back to back and you can feel the difference.

Hopefully, Doo is working on that fix and the steep attack angle on the Doo skid for the G6. There is so much great stuff in the G5, but it can be improved.

Last edited:

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Poo and Cat seem to have belt drive figured out. And Doo's chain case setup has not been without problems the past few years.

Belt drive is less overall weight and importantly, less rotating mass. That is something that would improve Doo's handling since it's motor and clutch setup put the rotating mass up much higher than Poo and Cat.

Mass centralization is great, except if that mass is up too high. That's where Cat and Poo have the advantage on Doo. Try riding them back to back and you can feel the difference.

Hopefully, Doo is working on that fix and the steep attack angle on the Doo skid for the G6. There is so much great stuff in the G5, but it can be improved.

I have owned lots of Poo's in the past and ridden the new ones (2024 Khaos 155). When the Gen 4 came out, I bought one. After riding it the first time, I hated my Poo. The Poo is so planted compared to the Doo. I'm on my 6th new Doo since the gen 4 was released, 4 gen 4's and 2 gen 5's. There is no way I'd go back to Poo. I get the weight difference, but the Doo (imho) handles so much better, and rides so muchlighter, not to mention the power is so much better. When I rode the 24 850 Khaos, it felt anemic. Sure, Doo can improve on their sleds, but at this point, there's not much I would change. All I ride is technical terrain. I get by just fine. If Poo riders are happy with their sleds, great. But don't tell me a Doo can't "hang", I can and will go everywhere I want.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019

the rotating mass being up higher is an interesting concept but sounds like it's not really an issue based on the lack of threads discussing how doo needs to fix this. maybe there are some but i can't recall seeing any. also, you'd need two identical sleds, one stock and the other with whatever low mount clutching to compare so you could definitively say handling differences are due to some gyro effect and not b/c of all the differences between diff brand sleds. any marketing from other manufacturers knocking doo on this because they don't suffer from the same prob?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
the rotating mass being up higher is an interesting concept but sounds like it's not really an issue based on the lack of threads discussing how doo needs to fix this. maybe there are some but i can't recall seeing any. also, you'd need two identical sleds, one stock and the other with whatever low mount clutching to compare so you could definitively say handling differences are due to some gyro effect and not b/c of all the differences between diff brand sleds. any marketing from other manufacturers knocking doo on this because they don't suffer from the same prob?
There is a difference

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
The rotating mass has been the since 2008 on the doo. Guys mess up the balance of the sled when they put a aftermarket muffler on the sled.

As far as the rotating mass of a chain drive vs a factory doo belt drive, there is nothing to compare to. Cannot compare a aftermarket BD kit to what doo releases potentially will release. I am willing to bet there will be no aluminum sprockets on a factory doo BD if ever one is released. The factory hyvo set with the lightweight bottom sprocket is 4lbs 14oz. I forgot to weigh the difference in the weight of the one piece to the two piece shaft, but I am pretty sure the two piece is heavier because of the coupling in the chain case, not to mention the heavier bottom sprocket now required.

Would a BD be a game changer in performance? IMO not in the current driveline configuration even using a aftermarket BD, I have done one before, the slight gain was not worth the cost.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
yeah, there's no difference in feel between a belt and a chain drive that's anywhere remotely worth the cost of installing an aftermarket BD. factory BD the same but at that point there's no choice anyway however the weight loss is a plus. i would think any noticeable diff from a gyro effect would be from the secondary clutch since it's higher up and is a decent sized chunk of metal but even then there is gonna be some rpm threshold to where any discernable difference is noticed and below that, not so much.

Last edited:

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Simple physics. Centralizing mass (helps to make the sled feel more nimble and makes the sled easier to maneuver) is beneficial. Getting the mass low and reducing rotating mass reduces the centrifugal force which makes the sled easier to maneuver and yields quicker acceleration.

We have Poos and Doos in our groups. Riding them back to back with the same track length you can feel the difference. The Poo spools up quicker with the belt drive and is more "flickable" with its lower rotating mass.

Poo's lower approach angle at the front of the track also helps the sled pop up on the snow and trench less than the Doos.

Those differences likely account for the difference in the way the two sleds handle. Cat has done the same thing as Poo and lowered rotating mass and centralized it. The Poo and Cats will feel likely similar because of that.

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
I own doo but ride with plenty of poo and cat buddies and for anyone to say there's a noticeable difference in a higher rotational difference that ACTUALLY MAKES A DIFFERENCE well that's some kind of poo or kitty laid your drinking lol. Like I said I ride them all hence the fun of with riding buddies that ride difference options. Not one of them when trading sleds has ever mentioned OH I THINK YOUR SECONDARY SITS HIGHER THAN MY CAT OR POO AND MAKES YOUR DOO SUCK. Some people 🙄.
Is doo best over hell no but come on really.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I own doo but ride with plenty of poo and cat buddies and for anyone to say there's a noticeable difference in a higher rotational difference that ACTUALLY MAKES A DIFFERENCE well that's some kind of poo or kitty laid your drinking lol. Like I said I ride them all hence the fun of with riding buddies that ride difference options. Not one of them when trading sleds has ever mentioned OH I THINK YOUR SECONDARY SITS HIGHER THAN MY CAT OR POO AND MAKES YOUR DOO SUCK. Some people 🙄.
Is doo best over hell no but come on really.
We don't have to agree but i can notice it. Don't really care if you can't. Difference is you go with everything. I have a little of everything..

Premium Features