• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2025 Rumors

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I've never understood why everyone is obsessed with the idea of a 9R Boost.... wouldn't alot of things that make the 9R good be an issue with boost? High compression, lightweight pistons... and basically everything else? I think we'll see a new ground up turbo/engine package eventually... not a 9R boost.

I guess Burandt runs one. Who knows. Probably not me.
Yes and no. What is the strength of the 9R? Fast revving and more low end torque. What is the weakness of the 850 Boost? Slower revving and lower low end torque. Marry the 2 and you gain plenty. Eliminate the 850 boost because the 900 Boost will be an ideal design even if Polaris uses the heavier crank for durability.

Last edited:

KootenayD

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 25, 2022
Kootenays
I agree there can't be an 850 Boost and 900 Boost, at least not ongoing. I think Polaris is in a tough position considering putting all their eggs in the 900 basket. That Chris Brent guy doesn't put any significant mileage on his sleds, so there's no long term data there. Sadly, we're the best R&D they have and we're not logging KMs like we normally do. I think the hold-back is a smart move.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
I agree there can't be an 850 Boost and 900 Boost, at least not ongoing. I think Polaris is in a tough position considering putting all their eggs in the 900 basket. That Chris Brent guy doesn't put any significant mileage on his sleds, so there's no long term data there. Sadly, we're the best R&D they have and we're not logging KMs like we normally do. I think the hold-back is a smart move.
Carls 900 is well proven at this point. It would be pretty easy for Polaris to copy if they choose. Different cylinder and pistons with some porting.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Carls 900 is well proven at this point. It would be pretty easy for Polaris to copy if they choose. Different cylinder and pistons with some porting.
Actually the Carl's 900 uses factory Polaris 9R pistons and cylinders with Carl's porting and now Carl's offers a new flash instead of running the stock 850 flash. Carl's also has their new 900 pipe, which is a stock 850 pipe re-worked a bit, stripped of the heat shield and Cerakoted in a bronze color.

And…this may or may not be sitting in my garage !! Lol .

6848ed552a410e19f6d0c3dddd3536f2.jpg

Last edited:

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Let's be honest, if there isn't something significantly new for 25, people are gonna hold or buy the plentiful holdovers rotting in dealer inventory.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
Actually the Carl's 900 uses factory Polaris 9R pistons and cylinders with Carl's porting and now Carl's offers a new flash instead of running the stock 850 flash. Carl's also has their new 900 pipe, which is a stock 850 pipe re-worked a bit, stripped of the heat shield and Cerakoted in a bronze color.

And…this may or may not be sitting in my garage !! Lol .

They have a 9R flash now or just boost. My understanding was the pipe was just the coating no other modification are they now modifying the pipe?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Let's be honest, if there isn't something significantly new for 25, people are gonna hold or buy the plentiful holdovers rotting in dealer inventory.
I agree. Boosts are down to $18k new, around here. Plenty of 9R and Boosts to pick from at the dealers. I can't see myself buying a new sled if my 24 has 400 miles on it unless they do something like a 9R Boost.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
They have a 9R flash now or just boost. My understanding was the pipe was just the coating no other modification are they now modifying the pipe?
Yes, the pipe is actually a modified pipe that has been opened up more in the stinger area. So it is actually different, if you had a stock pipe and this one side by side you can see the difference. According to Carl's their flash is "theirs" and is for their 900 kit, which we all know is basically a 9R with porting.

C
Dec 14, 2020
Yes, the pipe is actually a modified pipe that has been opened up more in the stinger area. So it is actually different, if you had a stock pipe and this one side by side you can see the difference. According to Carl's their flash is "theirs" and is for their 900 kit, which we all know is basically a 9R with porting.

Don't forget that Carl's doesn't have to fight with the EPA. Their tune alone is most likely worth the kit.

C
Dec 14, 2020

Eh, the dealers around here aren't sitting on much inventory except for Yamaha. I'd have to drive 12+ hours to find dealers with enough units that they're willing to make big cuts.

The Polaris dealer locally had 3 sleds on the showroom, 2 were snow checks that hadn't been picked up yet. Funny that 2/3 of their showroom had "sold" tags the second they were put on display.

The larger dealers around here have less than 10 units still. One of them offered me a better deal to snow check than buy off their floor. Same thing, they don't really keep inventory.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
I've never understood why everyone is obsessed with the idea of a 9R Boost.... wouldn't alot of things that make the 9R good be an issue with boost? High compression, lightweight pistons... and basically everything else? I think we'll see a new ground up turbo/engine package eventually... not a 9R boost.

I guess Burandt runs one. Who knows. Probably not me.
Going from a 600 turbo to 800 turbo to 850 turbo the throttle response just got better and better. Im hoping for a 900 boost to hopefully get even quicker spool.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Going from a 600 turbo to 800 turbo to 850 turbo the throttle response just got better and better. Im hoping for a 900 boost to hopefully get even quicker spool.
Oh I don’t doubt it would be fun, and more responsive. I just mean I assume mechanically they would have to make some changes for reliability… which would mean the 9R would no longer really be the 9R. They would have to drop the compression fuel wise for sure.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom

And…this may or may not be sitting in my garage !! Lol
emoji23.png

I see he has a carls 900 not a 9R. My understanding is that’s a 9R pipe that’s coated and carls isn’t doing 9R flashes. No lightweight crank either.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Oh I don’t doubt it would be fun, and more responsive. I just mean I assume mechanically they would have to make some changes for reliability… which would mean the 9R would no longer really be the 9R. They would have to drop the compression fuel wise for sure.
So what! Most guys would love a 900 Boost if it's peak power was on par with the 850 Boost BUT it had way more torque and revved way quicker. Let the aftermarket tune it for more power and take the risk of blowing it up.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
I'd like to experience a very well tuned pump gas boost. So far they all just feel heavy (in the front end) and sluggish in the lower RPMs compared to the 9R or even 850NA.

You're right that many of the 9R's current attributes would be diluted if a turbo gets added. Reducing compression and adding weight to the crank, etc. would probably make the system less functional.

Really there is no unicorn sled. Every one of them has downsides. Boost is heavy and has poor low end response. 9R is light but doesn't pull past 35mph track speed.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
So what! Most guys would love a 900 Boost if it's peak power was on par with the 850 Boost BUT it had way more torque and revved way quicker. Let the aftermarket tune it for more power and take the risk of blowing it up.
I’m not sure you understand what I am saying

rmk800ak

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2002
Fairbanks AK.
Having a Carls 900 Boost I would love to have it stock. Save a lot of work. I think it’s going to be a 2026 release myself along with a new or improved primary. I think they will keep the 850bottom end as well just add the machined flywheel. A real pipe/exhaust made for the 9boost would be great too. There is now a bunch of them out there not just Chris. It gets rid of the not so great bottom end of the standard boost. As for overall power…big difference. I don’t think they will run a stock oem 9boost up at 8600rpm + but we will see. I started with Carls tuning which they want you to run 50/50 premium/110. I ran 100LL and worked good we ride in the 3/6000ft range and no issues at all but decided to intercool it and wanted to go back to my VOHK VTI tuner which he now has one himself. Headed out riding here in a week for an extended trip and if the IG posts of Eric and the Boys at VOHK riding there’s is what’s it’s like I better hit the gym! VOHK also offers a 100LL tune for the 9r too so excited to give that a go too on my backup sled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I see he has a carls 900 not a 9R. My understanding is that’s a 9R pipe that’s coated and carls isn’t doing 9R flashes. No lightweight crank either.

Yes, this is a Carl's 900 which is basically a Polaris 9R, but the Carl's has it's own porting. It also has Carl's "new" 900 flash that I'm guessing is different from the stock 9R flash. On the pipe, as mentioned above, Carl's takes factory 850 and 9R pipes and "modifies" them to what you see. The modification includes enlarging the stinger area, removing the heat shield and doing the bronze Cerokota.

With regard to the re-flash, this is fairly new, in fact when I spoke to Burandt he wasn't aware of the tune yet. As we spoke more and talked about Carl's stuff, the notion or feeling was if they have a specific tune now for their 900, it's probably worth trying! The feeling was the same for the pipe too.

Obviously with a built Carl's 900, you do not have the light weight crank or the light weight fly wheel. But, if you wanted the light weight flywheel is an easy upgrade and you could always do a light weight clutch cover, if you chose to?

I'll probably do a separate thread on this build, as it's still a work in progress at this time!!

rmk800ak

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2002
Fairbanks AK.
What do you think about smart warmers finally making an appearance on the RMKs ? Or having the 3 power options on the 7s? That would be a nice upgrade … Quick spool stock! I personally would like to see Dynamix come to the sleds! We have the gauge . They do offer Fox’s in the trail models so maybe not out of the realm of possibility. Hard to drop $4500 on the Fox aftermarket setup . I see a 34” option too. Maybe a choice between both 36-34. We all love power but maybe some nice add ons .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KootenayD

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 25, 2022
Kootenays
The only thing the 9R has proven is that it's here for a good time, not a long time. 9K in warranty work after 1800kms last year. I don't know anyone that rips with a high mileage virgin 9R...

Premium Features