• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2025 Rumors

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Its not the added weight of the boost power plant you feel. Its how slowly it transfers weight and how hard it is to move some of the weight from the skis to the track in a static state. One big reason the Doo feels more balanced is the throttle response is just flat better on their motor/turbo package. It moves weight front to back ridiculously fast.

The irony is Doo (still) has a terrible chassis for what I like to do, so Polaris has me by the balls.

I'd literally kill to work in their engineering team. So many fun problems to solve
I’d kill to have the Turbo R in a Matryx.

J
Nov 25, 2019
Yes, this is a Carl's 900 which is basically a Polaris 9R, but the Carl's has it's own porting. It also has Carl's "new" 900 flash that I'm guessing is different from the stock 9R flash. On the pipe, as mentioned above, Carl's takes factory 850 and 9R pipes and "modifies" them to what you see. The modification includes enlarging the stinger area, removing the heat shield and doing the bronze Cerokota.

With regard to the re-flash, this is fairly new, in fact when I spoke to Burandt he wasn't aware of the tune yet. As we spoke more and talked about Carl's stuff, the notion or feeling was if they have a specific tune now for their 900, it's probably worth trying! The feeling was the same for the pipe too.

Obviously with a built Carl's 900, you do not have the light weight crank or the light weight fly wheel. But, if you wanted the light weight flywheel is an easy upgrade and you could always do a light weight clutch cover, if you chose to?

I'll probably do a separate thread on this build, as it's still a work in progress at this time!!
Just watched burandts latest video and he lists all the parts in his 900 turbo and he’s running the light weight 650 crank. It would be nice to see how that engine holds up over a few thousand kms/miles.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I'd think you'd need heavier pistons to stand up to boost, which - combined with the lighter crank - would probably result in an unacceptable failure rate (meaning catastrophic) for Polaris. On the other hand, turbocharging isn't necessarily that hard on an engine. But Polaris might be faced with a choice between using the heavier crankshaft or de-tuning a 9R boost. In the long run, if the 9R is reliable enough, I could see the 850 going away. You might have the lighter NA version and the boost version of the 9R. Or maybe the next architecture uses a bit more stroke and less bore to get to 900 - the 850 Patriot is five years old already... But that also begs the question of whether a new engine or truly new chassis is more of a priority to Polaris.

D
Polaris ought to pause R&D and fix their product pipeline processes for 2025. Take the medicine now. It does your brand no good to release product that constantly needs recalls/warranty if your goal is to make a profit.

They need their warranty rate to significantly drop in the mountain category first, then they can start releasing cool cutting edge stuff again. They have far and away the most capable chassis on snow. Just make everything more durable, work out the kinks, cut SKUs and they'll be in a much better place.
Amen brother!

D
Apr 24, 2023
Boise, ID
e start on a mountain sled drives me crazy. Especially on a 9r. The whole point of a 9r is the light weight rotational mass. Then you add a pound or whatever gear to the primary clutch?! Wtf? I guess if you’re a female with small arms or have a medical condition you gotta do what you gotta do. Pulling a rope as a mountain rider is not something I’m too concerned about.
I have complete kidney failure, and my right rotator cuff is torn in half.... If you can't pull start it, you can't ride it around here

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Premium Features