• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

19 alpha reed boot

C
Jan 5, 2009
snohomish
Any one know if 22 alpha reed boot is the same as the 19 alpha
And if so is it redesigned
We have done air test on 2 19 alpha's and it seems them boots are falling

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
are you saying they leak around where they mate/"seal" to the crank case? I've always noticed a little oil residue there, I replaced my reeds just because at 5200km, I'm now on a turbo as well and can't say much different.

C
Jan 5, 2009
snohomish
Yes my brother just replaced cylinder and pistons on one he bought used 3 rides on it it seized up then we thought better do air leak test leaked between boot and case and out bolts, then we test mine same thing

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I have replaced complete reeds & cages to V force 3 many times on the 19 Alpha's and never had a leak problem rear it's ugly green eye's- Haven't done a air test but never seen a reason to.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Yes my brother just replaced cylinder and pistons on one he bought used 3 rides on it it seized up then we thought better do air leak test leaked between boot and case and out bolts, then we test mine same thing
That sucks big time, there ends up being a lot of oil and spray/back blow into the airbox that I'd think it would be super obvious if there was a peak there as the crankcase compression would be shooting oil back out between the reed and case., mines always shown some weepage. I'm not sure that'd be an issue though unless large hole.

C
Jan 5, 2009
snohomish
That sucks big time, there ends up being a lot of oil and spray/back blow into the airbox that I'd think it would be super obvious if there was a peak there as the crankcase compression would be shooting oil back out between the reed and case., mines always shown some weepage. I'm not sure that'd be an issue though unless large hole.

C
Jan 5, 2009
snohomish
We think boot is bad design no gasket to begin and if you look on back side there is a sem that is glued together, we believe if you take them off they will not seal again, we are going with boyesen that black diamond has

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Yeah Id say my reed boots are leaking as well, theres oil around them and below lol, I wouldn't say a large leak but not so fun none the less. I'm boosted now so thats probably why its showing. I also had a cylinder gasket leaking a wee bit that again, once boosted showed up... hah. I fixed the cylinders when I did the top end but won't worry about the reeds for now.
If I did it again I suppose I'd put silicone on the flange then. A small amount.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Why change to v force reeds, or rather what advantages with aftermarket reeds?
Your reeds are opening and closing constantly as you see rpm- Imagine 8,000 rpm will equal the reeds cycling 133 time a second !!
The V force reeds only have to travel 1/2 half the distance of OEM reeds so will last longer is one advantage, and ensuring better sealing, not having to travel as far as OEM.

This might help you out a bit better- some good reading here.

https://store.mototassinari.com/vforce3.html

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Your reeds are opening and closing constantly as you see rpm- Imagine 8,000 rpm will equal the reeds cycling 133 time a second !!
The V force reeds only have to travel 1/2 half the distance of OEM reeds so will last longer is one advantage, and ensuring better sealing, not having to travel as far as OEM.

This might help you out a bit better- some good reading here.

https://store.mototassinari.com/vforce3.html
Stock Ctec reeds are a Vforce style (copy?) reed so that statement doesnt really apply here. Only advantage I can think of to go Vforce is maybe a better reed material? I have used Boyesen rad valves in most of my Cats over the years of laydown engines. I see the new Catalyst 600 demo sleds use actual Vforce brand reeds.

Premium Features