• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

$10 Driver Press (Redneck Press!)

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Don't have access to a hydraulic press and need to swap drivers? Here's what I did in a pinch. Worked great! Cheap and fast. Some 2x4s, screws and a GM screw jack. Had no problem pushing off all 4 at once.

Press.jpg Press 2.jpg Jack.jpg

Last edited:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Hey, that looks a lot better and sturdier than my Harbor Freight press! Great job, I bet you will find a LOT more uses for it other than drivers!

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Yeah, needed something quick. 3 8ft. 2x4s, some screws, and the jack. The uprights are 46" and the horizontals 16". Just thought I would share as I have seen quite a few posts over the years where people were in a bind because they didn't have a hydraulic press.

M
Jan 19, 2011
I was thinking of building something to press in and out cylinder sleeves. This could work, plus it's a campfire after the job is done.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
I was thinking of building something to press in and out cylinder sleeves. This could work, plus it's a campfire after the job is done.

Exactly. The wood is back in the wood pile, the screws in a box, and the jack in the vehicle. The worst thing about having a hydraulic press is the room it takes up in the garage/shop when it's not in use.....which is 99.99% of the time.

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
Very creative... I like it. Looks like the jack that's in my Chev truck. Well done :face-icon-small-coo

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I had to remove some drivers. Granted I have a HF 12 ton press, so I ended up stopping by the local well drillers to pick up a piece of well casing so I could drop the assembly into and then choke up under one driver at a time to push the shaft out/through. Otherwise I had no way to get the assembly suspended enough.

Premium Features