• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Secondary adjustment moving on its own.

heliwrench

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2015
Put a new belt on my 2017 summit 850 at home. Rode up the trail and after about an hour of riding I could hear the belt barking/slipping when starting from a stop. Checked belt deflection, it was way off, the belt was down approx 1/4" in the secondary. At first I thought one of the secondary rollers had piled up and it wasn't back shifting all the way but the helix was tight against the adjuster. Figured maybe the belt had worn in a lot but that seemed odd. Adjusted it to where it should be. It was good for about an hr and it started slipping again. Same thing, belt was down in the secondary. Adjusted it again, good for a bit and started slipping again. Loaded up and went home. Looking at it again tonight it is obvious that the adjuster has moved from where I set it to the last time when I was out riding. I tightened the pinch bolt the same as every other time I have done it in the past and have never had this problem before. Anybody else had this problem before? I don't really want to crank down any tighter on the pinch bolt as it is pretty small.

For reference it is a gates belt, which I have never run before. Had it kicking around as a spare so figured i'd try it out. I got around 2500km out of the 571 that was on it before, it was just starting to get worn out. Also the the sled has an ibackshift clutch kit in it that has worked great since I installed it 2 seasons ago.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
My guess it’s a broken roller. Hi torque rollers will last forevs. Keep us updated!

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Second on the split roller, for some reason they tend to break just one when the problem is noticed, I suppose the other would go if the hammering into reverse continues. They do sell the rollers individually , that should be a tell tale sign.

Do the upgrades and get rid of the torx heads with some regular metrics and aftermarket rollers like Rhino.

I came to the conclusion that improper belt deflection took it out. Just watch how smooth the primary engages, there's no slapping and if you notice any black at the bottom of the clutch that's because it's to loose.

Proper belt deflection and the little black ring in the bottom of the clutch is gone.

I'm a believer when it comes to the gates tensioner for the secondary belt but it appears that Doo's belt deflection is actually very simple even though they advise to use one.

Adjust it as tight as you can get the belt deflection and when you can't get it snugged up anymore the jam nut or what ever you call it will no longer make contact.

If you go the other way the belt keeps falling in the secondary.

Climb the belt back up and once again it can only go so far and the adjuster quits doing what it was ment to do.

That's what works for me not saying I know squat these days :)

heliwrench

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2015
Rollers are fine. The secondary isn't hanging up on the rollers, it is making full contact with the washer and adjuster. Helix bolts are tight. When I adjusted it last on the hill there was approx 1 thread showing outside the adjuster, when the belt started slipping there was a little over 2 threads showing, so it moved on its own somehow. I guess maybe the way the helix turns when the secondary opens/closes is grabbing on the adjuster and turning it when they contact? All the surfaces seem smooth on the helix, washer, and adjuster. Cleaned the threads on the jack shaft and the adjuster and set belt deflection again. Hopefully it stays put now.

C
Nov 9, 2022
South Idaho
Rollers are fine. The secondary isn't hanging up on the rollers, it is making full contact with the washer and adjuster. Helix bolts are tight. When I adjusted it last on the hill there was approx 1 thread showing outside the adjuster, when the belt started slipping there was a little over 2 threads showing, so it moved on its own somehow. I guess maybe the way the helix turns when the secondary opens/closes is grabbing on the adjuster and turning it when they contact? All the surfaces seem smooth on the helix, washer, and adjuster. Cleaned the threads on the jack shaft and the adjuster and set belt deflection again. Hopefully it stays put now.
make sure you have the adjuster threaded on the proper way. they are reverse threaded and if not facing out the correct way will back off as your clutch turns. lefty tighty and righty loosy in this case.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
That's amazing that what is called the adjustment ring can move, I've wondered if I've actually over tightened the torx bolt at times and have backed it off just a hair since it's an aluminum locking collar that I call it.

Premium Features