• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 m8 or 09 d8 looking for honest opinions

J
Mar 7, 2008
I have an 08 D7 and like being up high and far forward on the sled. I get on an older one now like a friends M7 and it just doesn't feel right. I think being brand loyal or riding the same sled as what the slednecks run doesn't make sense or make you a good rider. Ride both and wich ever one works for you the best is the one you want. All the Pros can ride whatever they want, but there is a reason they choose the machines they have.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I choose the M8 I like the fact you can go 75 miles per hour down the trail or down a steep hill in powder without feeling like you are going to tip over, It does NOT give you a wedgie, And it's the last sled that gives wind protection for hands. So you can wear thin gloves. Plus I love the camo:D

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Bringin this thread back to the top as I have the same question.

Spent last 1.5 seasons on an M7. Love the handling.

Heard not much good about the M8 the last couple years.

Ridden a Dragon 700 for a whole day. Didn't think it handled as good as my M7 but didn't have any problems with it. Liked the power.

Everyone says the Dragon runs harder but the 09 M8 is supposed to run better.

What is a guy to pick? Opinions?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Bringin this thread back to the top as I have the same question.

Spent last 1.5 seasons on an M7. Love the handling.

Heard not much good about the M8 the last couple years.

Ridden a Dragon 700 for a whole day. Didn't think it handled as good as my M7 but didn't have any problems with it. Liked the power.

Everyone says the Dragon runs harder but the 09 M8 is supposed to run better.

What is a guy to pick? Opinions?

just curious what year the D-7 was..cause big diff between the 08 vrs 06 or 07..who is the best dealer close to you?

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
It was an 07. With the swaybar still in it.

I would want to pull the swaybar for sure and put floats in the front as I feel unadjustable front shocks are ridiculous!!!!

I would like to ride one with no swaybar.

Dealer is a toss up. Local dealer is okay. M8 can be had about $400 cheaper elsewere. Making the M8 about $700 cheaper. Polaris dealer in town is a joke. Wouldn't buy a spark plug from them. Polaris West is a great dealership and have dealt with them in past. But 90 miles away.

I am leaning towards the M chassis for the handling. If I have to put a SLP pipe, RKT head, and Boondocker box to keep up, so be it!

Unless some can convince the Dragon de-swaybared is going to handle similar or better.

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
It was an 07. With the swaybar still in it.

I would want to pull the swaybar for sure and put floats in the front as I feel unadjustable front shocks are ridiculous!!!!

I would like to ride one with no swaybar.

better yet get on a 08 or 09 and you will be floored..if it is a buddy who has the 07..have him order 08 or 09 spindles...I wouldnt pull the bar..the sled works really good with it once you fix the spindles...also the rear skid setup right helps..I run mine with the frt track shock in the lower hole and the limiters out...dont stiffen the rear torsions anymore then you have to for powder..

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Better Dealer

Both sleds seem like good rides, so you might figure out which brand has the better dealer closer. I'm here in Lehi, Utah, so I went with the M8 from Cutlers (I love it by the way.) Honestly, if I still lived up in Farmington, I probably would have grabbed a dragon from TCP (For all I know, I probably would have loved it too.) It always sucks to have to drive an hour out of your way just for a decent dealer.

F
Aug 5, 2001
Utah
I owned a Dragon 8 last year and loved it. I think its also best looking sled on the snow. Only thing is I got tired of getting marked by lighter guys(Im well over 200lbs) on same or even smaller cc sleds. I thought about going to the m1k but after researching it I decided the powerband of that sled was not for me. Since I cant stand doo clutching and didnt want to spend the money on a nytro the only other option was turbo d7 d8 m7 or m8. After researching turbos from what I could tell the m8 was the way to go for me. A little lighter sled and the motor being a little less agressive from the factory makes it turbo very well. The track looks to be a winner as well. Wish I would have spr checked one for the free boss seat cause the m series def needs one whereas the Dragon doesnt. The Dragon turbos and the m turbos both kick a$$ but for me the choice went to the M. Hope it works out well. As for the turbos, M series I say Cutlers all the way, Dragon I would have def gone with SPS.

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
made up mind

well after pondering over this many times, and since i had a m1000 and had no probs with it i decided on the 09 162 sno pro m8 and going to give it a little boost for that little extra.:D thanks for all your opinions

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
how true if i even keep it a year lol, it shouldnt have any miles on it since ill be ridin my boosted d7 probobaly. I still really like the m8 also, i ahve a d8 snow checked but can get out of it if i need to. There are a few extra m8 sno pros also coming in. Oh what to do..

sounds like i rich mans problem; i wish i had that tough decision to make :)

Teamdog

Premium Member
I have an 08XP 163 and was not very impressed with it when I first got it, however after installing the Dynamo Joe clutch kit the sled was a lot better. I am a big guy and had the suspension set up quite stiff on the rear and this made the sled very tippy so when we were out in the pow one day I backed it off quite a bit and let it sit down on the snow and it was a different sled, very stable not tippy at all as compared to before making the adjustment. I also had the quick disconnect installed on the swaybar and when you take them off the sled is a lot easier to side hill. In fact I no longer use it on the HP or trail home.
The other thing I noticed is that if you do not put your feet up forward in the foot wells the sled handles a lot like a REV but when you move your feet forward in the pow it is a very nimble sled especially downhill in deep pow.

After making these adjustments I am very pleased with the handeling and after they install my new drive shaft I will have confidence in the back country.

I hope this helps

Teamdiog

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Not much of Ski Doo fan.

I saw and heard of a lot of broken XPs.

I haven't really liked Ski Doo since they changed to the REV. Liked the ZX but never could get comfortable on a REV. Ridden several different ones numerous times and hated it.

I've heard the XP is hard to throw around compared to the REV and I think the REV is a tank!!!!

Riding an M and going to REV is like riding a dirt bike compared to a ATV in terms of throwing it around and feeling light.

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
sleds

Not much of Ski Doo fan.

I saw and heard of a lot of broken XPs.

I haven't really liked Ski Doo since they changed to the REV. Liked the ZX but never could get comfortable on a REV. Ridden several different ones numerous times and hated it.

I've heard the XP is hard to throw around compared to the REV and I think the REV is a tank!!!!

Riding an M and going to REV is like riding a dirt bike compared to a ATV in terms of throwing it around and feeling light.

amen to that, i had a 08 xp 163x that i snowchecked and lets just say that will be my last doo EVER in my yard, i used to buy 1 ski-doo a year since 98 but after the xp experience i had, i no longer will own another one. anyway this thread isnt about ski-doos...

Premium Features