• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

biggest and steepest mountians to ride

M
Oct 2, 2011
hi i am from maine and in april we are planning on taking our first trip out west we are looking something very challenging and agressive. we are riding skidoo summit x's and polaris assults all 155's. so if anyone can give me some ideas of where to go thanks.

WaBackcountry

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Orondo, WA
Cooke is awesome. Varied terrain. Ride your sled through town.

Revelstoke or Whistler Pemberton is usually nice. Big hills.

McCall is great boondocking.

Washington has the Cascades. Steep and tight.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
hi i am from maine and in april we are planning on taking our first trip out west we are looking something very challenging and agressive. we are riding skidoo summit x's and polaris assults all 155's. so if anyone can give me some ideas of where to go thanks.

do yourself a favor, stick to the trails :)

F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
might try and tone down what you are expecting......first time you will have a learning curve and you will have an eye opener.....just sayin\

do you have any avy training? do you have beacons?probe? if not cooke is not for you!!!!!!maybe think about Togwotee and a guide.....

WyoRMK

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Laramie, Wyoming

As a local western rider I am glad to see some excitement in you wanting to come to our playground! But take what the midwest guys above are saying to heart! Do you have avalanche beacons, probes, shovels and especially training? What elevation are you used to riding? Many Places out here are 6-12K feet and it will wear on you quickly. Play it safe and enjoy your first trip out west, chances are it won't be your last!

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Stay at Togwotee and get a guide. As a life long snowmobiler, my first tastes of the mountains where in 07'... it is a totally different animal than you are used too. You can rent all the avy equipment there and you are right on the snow.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
no kidding, its easy to get into a LOT of trouble out here in a hurry. and the biggest and nastiest stuff isnt for those who ride it ever weekend.

cooke is a BLAST! tons of fun to ride right out of town, but issues are, most people come out there, see the first big open hill they see and just pound on it because they hever have gotten to play on one. check the MT avalanche report and see how many people die on one of the first big hills when you head out the trail in cooke..

3C Guiding

Dec 9, 2010
Laramie Wy.
if you are coming in april come out to the snowy range we are peritted tell april 15 and by that time most places have closed up shop. we will have you loving the moutains in no time and fig out the dos and donts of riding them.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
don't let all this keep you from coming out west and getting in on some amazing riding, just use your head and be smart about where you are coming to ride. It can jump up and bite you in a heart beat.

togwotee9

The Baconator
Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2008
Council Bluffs, IA
might try and tone down what you are expecting......first time you will have a learning curve and you will have an eye opener.....just sayin\

do you have any avy training? do you have beacons?probe? if not cooke is not for you!!!!!!maybe think about Togwotee and a guide.....

Ditto

Agreed 100% on the guide. If you fail the knowledge on those first items at least a guide can try to keep you out of high risk areas.

You guys take all the fun out of people trying to kill themselves. :plane:

wonderxc600

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
MN
take it from a flat lander, i've been riding out west for 8 years know and the biggist baddest place like cook isn't the place to start been there a few times, but i started out in places like the big horns and tog, love togwotee, plenty off snow that for sure and plenty of area's to learn in, if you wanna boondock go to tog, there is a lot more area to play in than cook, if you want steep and deep go to cook, but get a guide. I think any were you go for the first time its always good to get a guide so they can show you around a little, and then go and discover! One problem is i live in minnesota and we get some snow, but my sled only go's out when i go out west!

Cooksend

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Biggest thing to remember as a flantlander is that our idea of steep and deep is totally different than the local western riders! Let the slednecks dudes have the big stuff! Unless you have balls the size of small planets riding out west for your first time will be a very humbling experience! Cooke is Big and Steep in lots of areas but does offer lots of good boondocking as well. Take an Avy course and check your ego at the door!!! The guys and terrain you see in the video's is for advanced riders, skills and sleds! Your 800's will feel like 600's at best when playing at 10000'!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
In all seriousness, if you're coming from ME an want to hit the biggest steepest mountains in WY, look no further than Casper, WY and Casper Mountain. It will test your skills to be sure.

K
Oct 14, 2010
if you are coming in april come out to the snowy range we are peritted tell april 15 and by that time most places have closed up shop. we will have you loving the moutains in no time and fig out the dos and donts of riding them.
x2 good guys out there great times good snow :face-icon-small-ton

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
In all seriousness, if you're coming from ME an want to hit the biggest steepest mountains in WY, look no further than Casper, WY and Casper Mountain. It will test your skills to be sure.

Really!!! hmm I might have to go check it out.

Premium Features