• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 Won't start. Need ideas

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
Pull the plugs off of the injectors and energize the injectors with a 12v supply. Just need to touch the two prongs in the injector with + and - wires. Only takes a second to hear them click over. That will free them up if they are stuck. I have had to do this on 3 or 4 M-Series sleds after they have been sitting over the summer.

Not sure why they would be hung up if ridden the day before if they are stuck.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
120 both sides

For everyone new to page 2 about to say "you need fuel spark and compression" :D

-120psi both sides
-All four plugs have spark (just checked again)
-Won't fire at all and every time I try and then pull the plugs there's gas sitting in the plug gaps, lack of fuel is not the problem.

I've been trying the hot plug thing again with the fuel power and fuel line disconnected and getting nothing but burned fingers.

I can't get to the bottom of the case very easily to drain it through the water pump lube but I'm still thinking there's just an ungodly amount of fuel in the case. Any ideas on how to get it out that don't involve any more explosions in my garage? (fun, but it's getting a little sketchy).

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Liquid gasoline is not flammable, that is why it won't ignite. Way to much gas but u already know that.
Would turning the snowmobile upside down let the gas come out of the sparkplug holes?

snowmow

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I just went apeshlt on the pull cord with the kill switch on and throttle wide open to air things out (hood off for maximum air flow). It finally fired and it ran WWAAAYYYY too long for not having the fuel line connected. I was already sitting funny at work today from sore shoulder muscles. Not like I tried anything I haven't already tried.

So yeah, that was it. Just far too much gas in there.

Tempted to drain the tank because I did fill up on sunday when it wouldn't go. Wondering if I got some junk in there. It's been raining and snowing so much here a few stations have floated their tanks.

Still going to be wondering what the hell caused that?

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
My old 583 did that to me a few times a month, biggest difference was mine did it on the hill when we took a break. 95% it would start, 5% of the time i would get out the lighter, 2 times i towed the sled out. I think the floats would stick sometimes?

Fuel injected sled should never experience this issue. Maybe an injector stuck open?

snowmow

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Fuel injected sled should never experience this issue. Maybe an injector stuck open?

snowmow

I agree. I'm used to this stuff with carbs but this isn't cool. I did come across an old thread with someone discussing this happening with 91 octane and cold nights after running well the day before.

Not sure how to check that really...... Would that even throw a code? The injectors just have two poles for the wire so I imagine there's no sensor there.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I wonder if u had some ice built up in the throttle bodies?
Maybe restricted the airflow enough to not allow it to start and every pull after that just kept dumping gas and offsetting the AFR more and more.

snowmow

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I wonder if u had some ice built up in the throttle bodies?
Maybe restricted the airflow enough to not allow it to start and every pull after that just kept dumping gas and offsetting the AFR more and more.

snowmow

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Parked hot, and then sat outside on my truck in a sub zero overnight. The ONLY thing I did differently after riding was put my cover on pretty quickly after riding. I usually let it cool down a little. Might have done some weird things with that steel fuel rail. Definitely had ethanol gas in it.

I'm going to throw some new gas in there, get some injector cleaner and see how it goes Friday.

J
Oct 13, 2016
FWIW, I have 2 2015 M8000s, both new this year. Have ran great until we camped in a sno-park in central Oregon a few weeks ago. Both ran great the first day, we parked them overnight and got up to ride the next morning and my 162 wouldn't start. It acted like it wanted to on the first pull but wouldn't fire and nothing after that. I went through basically the same process as you did. We had a propane cannon heater so I put a tarp over the sled and let it warm up for a while, but still no go. After an hour of various attempts, the magic trick was to do essentially what you did. We did 30 pulls with the kill switch engaged, then opened the throttle the whole way and it fired on the second pull. Ran great the rest of the day and the rest of the weekend. Weird...

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Available now: New aftermarket cold start kit specifically designed for proclimbs.

Uniquely conditions fuel line on those hard to start mornings.

Fiddy bucks

07-403.jpg

Thank god we're done with carbs. Remember what a pain those were?:face-icon-small-dis

Last edited:

huffymtx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 20, 2008
so how do we prevent this from happening? mine did the same thing last ride

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Don't park the snowmobile overnight in temperature below 32 degrees Fahrenheit

snowmow

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
so how do we prevent this from happening? mine did the same thing last ride

I was being serious. I'm putting a shutoff valve in my fuel line. Every time I know my sled sits outside that thing's getting closed before I cut it off. It was unreal how much fuel was in the case. Ran for almost two minutes with the fuel line disconnected and drained. Even with me revving it.

Just like my buddy's 1999 polaris gen2.

But then yank like a fiend with the throttle bodies wide open. In my case I know for a fact the plugs were just getting splashed far too much. Gotta blow some air over them I guess.

sldrnm

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2011
I have a 15 mine did the same thing almost fired then nothing. Pulled plugs and they were soaking wet. Finally after multiple attempts of trying to start and pulling plugs to dry out I got it started. Now when it almost fires and then dies I just give it full throttle and pull and it fires immediately. I just hope this continues to work as we have a 2.5 hour drive to where we ride and working on it in the parking lot is not fun.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
I have a 13 and a 14, and a friend has a 15 that will occasionally do this if it sits in the trailer through the week and it is really cold out. Like was stated, if it tries to fire once and dies, just hold it wfo and pull and it will start and run rich for a minute and then clear up and be fine.:face-icon-small-dis Kind of a pain but it works. If you don't do that you'll end up in the boat you are in.

WhiskeyTee

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2013
Utah
Happened to me yesterday on my 17. First pull a short fart then nothing. Pulled and pulled and pulled until my shoulder was sore. Was just about to tell the guys I was with to head on out without me (met them there so I could leave!)when I decided to hold the throttle about half open when pulling. Started, was way too rich, wouldn't idle without holding the throttle open a little. Died when I tried to put it in reverse. Once cleared out it fired first pull the rest of the day and ran great.

Pulled it into the trailer at the end of the ride last week and we had a few single digit nights over the course of the week. Was 12 deg. when I got to the trail head yesterday morning.

Have a mix of 88 and 91 Eth Free gas in the tank. Maybe a little residual oil from my first tank of 100:1. (110 miles on sled before yesterdays ride) I wasn't going to go thru any of this. I was headed strait to the dealer.

Think from now on I will crack the throttle when cold?

Last edited:

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
This has been a on going issue from day 1 when its cold that's one of the big benefits the new ctec engine is suppose to help with,
face-icon-small-happy.gif
I am very excited about that

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Think from now on I will crack the throttle when cold?

If it doesn't go in 3-4 pulls that's certainly going to be my approach. Pretty sure you literally need to blow the liquid fuel off the plug gaps.

Premium Features