• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 Axys Won’t Start/Stay Running

F
Dec 31, 2018
A couple of weeks ago, I pulled(rode) my 2016 Axys 800 into the shop to do some prep work for the season. Mostly just greasing the chassis. I got done and rode it out. Fast forward a few weeks later and I go to load it on my deck to go ride and it won’t start. Feels like it’s dead when pulled and I start with disconnecting ignition, tether, kill sw, and TSS. As we go through it fired and ran poorly with the headlight and MFD flashing off and on.
Pull it into the shop and trying to isolate the issue, it had spark in every scenario with all the switches connected and individually isolated.
The spark plugs were wet with fuel so I put fresh ones in and no change. At this point I suspect this is a faulty voltage regulator. Any thoughts or anything I should check first?

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I thought I remembered some of the early Axys sleds had relay contact corrosion issues. Have you verified that the relays are clean and working as they should?

F
Dec 31, 2018
When you say “check stator” do you mean make sure the plug is not corroded or do you mean to ohm it out?

I have a VR ordered as well as some relays on the way. I have never changed the relays in the three years I’ve had it, and with the added moisture we have been getting and bringing it inside for preseason maintenance and parking back outside, it seems like it could be a likely culprit.

Now that I understand the relay issues better, those will just get changed out every year. It’s just odd, since this sled has been nothing short of reliable.

F
Dec 31, 2018
I thought I remembered some of the early Axys sleds had relay contact corrosion issues. Have you verified that the relays are clean and working as they should?
I have ordered some relays and will pull the existing ones out when I get back to the shop.
I’ll have to look up how to test them, but I can definitely check to see if there is corrosion on them.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
If you have spark you may want to pull the plugs, and with everything off, pull until your dizzy and air out the crankcase, let it sit for a long while, then put the plugs back in and give it another try. I had one that would flood so bad if I touched the throttle in any way while starting I thought I had major issues.

F
Dec 31, 2018
If you have spark you may want to pull the plugs, and with everything off, pull until your dizzy and air out the crankcase, let it sit for a long while, then put the plugs back in and give it another try. I had one that would flood so bad if I touched the throttle in any way while starting I thought I had major issues.
That’s been on my mind as well. The plugs were pretty wet when I pulled them. Then the new ones got that way too, but with a flooded crankcase it’s very possible.
Going to have to pull that thing like it’s 1995.

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
Maybe bad tss...You can't just unplug the tss...it has to have signal...if you unplug it you have to use a tss resistor bypass in that lower plug to run correctly

Last edited:

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
It will start with a TSS issue - but as Hecks said, as soon as you start to open the throttle it will cut out.

F
Dec 31, 2018
I just saw the post that you make the bypass switch. I can’t seem to figure out how to PM you, but if you have any available, I’m interested.

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Hi Brad - just sent you a PM, you should see an envelope icon in the top right of your screen. Click on that you and will get the message. To start a conversation you can hover on someones name and click on "Start Conversation". Cheers

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Yea my stator connector was all corroded and it was causing very similar issues. I installed a new plug and it fixed it.

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
20221029_185432-jpg.396753

20221029_185437.jpg

F
Dec 31, 2018
Thanks to the help from Perk and Heck’s, we got it figured out. The culprit was the TSS.
I will be getting the TSS bypass from Perk in case I ever run into this issue while on the mountain.
Thanks Perk!

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
I would stay running without the plug on the black and yellow wiring. Save yourself from the melting issues most of these sleds have, and obviously your sled was one of them. Should be able to ohm out the DC power on the stator above the clutch cover at the regulator plug.
I find that a decent volt/ohm meter may not read as low as 0.12 - 0.20 ohm, as my lowend Greenlee would read 0.40 ohm. But it would read the same on a new sled as well.

1672417307370.png

1672416519794.png

F
Dec 31, 2018
I would stay running without the plug on the black and yellow wiring. Save yourself from the melting issues most of these sleds have, and obviously your sled was one of them. Should be able to ohm out the DC power on the stator above the clutch cover at the regulator plug.
I find that a decent volt/ohm meter may not read as low as 0.12 - 0.20 ohm, as my lowend Greenlee would read 0.40 ohm. But it would read the same on a new sled as well.

View attachment 397841

View attachment 397839
What do you recommend in place if the factory plug? If I have to replace the stator I am going to have to cut the soldered wires. I was considering male and female faston connectors and ordering a seal tight plug for a later installation. I’m not opposed to the solder as it’s obviously worked for the three years I’ve owned it, but I’m not well practiced at soldering and it’s location could make it difficult.

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
What issues are you having now ?
I've seen some guys on here (TRS) move to a different plug connector, but failed/melted during the season I believe.
Check out this thread: https://www.snowest.com/forum/threads/axys-stator-connection-fix.444113/

Soldering is pretty easy in the location it is in. Be sure to use some dielectric grease & shrink tube over your connections, lots of youtube vids on soldering.
If you have to replace your stator, cut your wires a few inches closer to the stator (below) the already soldered wires, this way you will have some extra wiring to work with when practicing soldering in a new stator lol. The wire gauge is fairly small from stator to plug.
If your stator checks out, it would be wise to check the air gap on the 2 pickups for the flywheel too, just to eliminate things. I've had to pry some to get back into spec, but never due to a non running issue.

1672438702473.png

Premium Features