For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2018, 02:35 PM
Currently: Liv'n the Dream everyday
Calvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Honest Sidewinder feedback?

Just as the title implies, curious for some "honest" feedback on people that own/have ridden them. Not someone that spent five minutes on one. Not looking for brand bashing, this thing is heavy, etc, etc.. Yes, it is heavier than a two stroke, yes, Cat does build the chassis. Just want some honest constructive feedback. Handling, turbo lag, any issues.....those kinds of things. Have owned turbo four stroke in the past and love the smooth power. Just haven't heard a lot from current owners. Any feedback would be appreciated. And yes Randy, you can chime in as well even though people would consider you a little bias, I think you're an honest guy that would give his honest opinion. Thanks

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calvin42 For This Useful Post:
justinkredible56 (01-08-2018), mark (01-09-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 08:39 PM
Currently: Not set.
vector boy has a reputation beyond reputevector boy has a reputation beyond reputevector boy has a reputation beyond reputevector boy has a reputation beyond reputevector boy has a reputation beyond reputevector boy has a reputation beyond reputevector boy has a reputation beyond reputevector boy has a reputation beyond reputevector boy has a reputation beyond reputevector boy has a reputation beyond reputevector boy has a reputation beyond repute

Haven’t ridden my ‘18 yet, but I can say the fit and finish of the SW is night and day better than the Viper. Panels and hood go on so much easier, wiring connectors are actually good connectors, and the 2018’s FINALLY have a drain bolt in the chain case. Although it is a better sled, I still had to do a few things before I’d ride it.
1. Vertical steering off a Viper. Personal preference but feel more comfortable on a steep sidehill with the vertical post than laid back post
2. Running boards. Never have been a fan of factory boards, plus anything to help keep snow out and keep the traction there is a bonus
3. Exhaust/muffpot. I hate cold sandwiches for lunch.

Doesn’t look like I’ll be riding mine anytime soon, but can get back to you with a ride review in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to vector boy For This Useful Post:
Calvin42 (01-09-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 09:05 PM
Currently: Waiting for some Snow
zal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin42 View Post
Just as the title implies, curious for some "honest" feedback on people that own/have ridden them. Not someone that spent five minutes on one. Not looking for brand bashing, this thing is heavy, etc, etc.. Yes, it is heavier than a two stroke, yes, Cat does build the chassis. Just want some honest constructive feedback. Handling, turbo lag, any issues.....those kinds of things. Have owned turbo four stroke in the past and love the smooth power. Just haven't heard a lot from current owners. Any feedback would be appreciated. And yes Randy, you can chime in as well even though people would consider you a little bias, I think you're an honest guy that would give his honest opinion. Thanks

This will be my third turbo Yamaha. Had a 2007 Apex with a 290 kit, then a 2013 Nytro 162 180 kit and now a 2018 Sidewinder 162 LE. So, I've been on heavy pigs you might say.
I only have 60 miles on it but none of it in deep snow, mostly trails breaking it in. Deepest snow was maybe 2ft. We have a snow shortage up here...
My thoughts... We took off down a cut line, no tracks on it. I am amazed how well and easy it is to be able to "throw" it around compared to the nytro. The nytro, I needed more "english" to be able to carve in little snow. On the trail, the power is linear, I found the nytro threw me back harder. Turbo lag...none that I can feel. With the 3" track, definitely run the scratchers, they do run hot. Fit and finish, still not up to Yamaha standards, but at least the electrics are Yammy. Invest in a belly pan, as I have been reading a few guys who aren't running them have found rocks and other gems hidden in the snow that causes chaincases to break.
Hoping to get more seat time soon...

Definitely an aftermarket exhaust, that way you can check and adjust the chain without removing the whole suitcase.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zal For This Useful Post:
Calvin42 (01-09-2018), evan3000 (02-18-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 12:51 AM
Currently: Hello Drama and Karma...you related?
Climbmax has a reputation beyond reputeClimbmax has a reputation beyond reputeClimbmax has a reputation beyond reputeClimbmax has a reputation beyond reputeClimbmax has a reputation beyond reputeClimbmax has a reputation beyond reputeClimbmax has a reputation beyond reputeClimbmax has a reputation beyond reputeClimbmax has a reputation beyond reputeClimbmax has a reputation beyond reputeClimbmax has a reputation beyond repute

Yes im a bit biased. However I will leave you with this. I have built, rode and sold 15 years worth of Modified Yamaha 4 stroke mountain sleds. Mostly high hp, chassis built hillclimbers that took me to the most amazing terrain British Columbia has to offer. I am on my second year riding a stock Sidewinder and loving it. I have sold my Nypex, Vipex, Viper Mod to replace them all with a second Winder that will get some HP upgrades and 174 as we do get those "days" that a 174 just shines.
In the meantime read what several other western Canadian guys have to say in their own words after spending some time aboard the Sidewinder MTX. Lots of haters in there as well, but I think you can weed out the chaff.
Safe sledding
RS
http://www.snowandmud.com/snowmobile...idewinder.html

2008 Nytro, 270 MCX pump fuel, 174 x16x 2.5", Racers Edge Skid, CR chasis, ZBroz Front end and Shocks

Apex with MCX front mount, Full CR chasis, 174 x16 X 2.5", Racers Edge skid, Boost It fuel system

AST1

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Climbmax For This Useful Post:
BCBOOST (02-07-2018), Calvin42 (01-09-2018), evan3000 (02-18-2018), Saddle sore (01-16-2018), skidawg (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 08:49 AM
Currently: Sidewinding!
Boosted Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sidwinder

250 miles on mine so far and it is a hoot has the evolution reflash and exhaust waiting for exit shocks I just hate air shocks but this sled is a keeper! Everyone who has bad a chance to ride it has been impressed with the smooth muscle of the engine.happy with my choice!

Boosted Brad
Turbo Apex 325 horse baby

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boosted Brad For This Useful Post:
Calvin42 (01-09-2018), evan3000 (02-18-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 09:05 AM
Calvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. Randy, thanks for the link to that post. Seems like a lot of positive feedback. I don't mind the negatives as long as their constructive. If someone doesn't like something, it is certainly their prerogative to speak their mind, but when it just comes to brand bashing and name calling, you've lost my attention. All the big four have room for improvement, if they didn't, we'd never see anything new. I like the direction that all of the builders are going. Like a lot of folks have said, and I agree, the four stroke power just puts a big smile on your face. My experience has been that the four strokes are better suited for more experienced riders who know how to handle a sled. New riders tend to get more frustrated. I can definitely see myself adding a Sidewinder to the stable. I'm fortunate enough to be able to have a good mix in the trailer. The sled market is tough these days with the lack of snow, and I commend all the manufacturers for their continued commitment to the sport. There are a lot of die hard sledders, me included, that hope I have another thirty years of riding left in me.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:15 AM
robrstopr has a reputation beyond reputerobrstopr has a reputation beyond reputerobrstopr has a reputation beyond reputerobrstopr has a reputation beyond reputerobrstopr has a reputation beyond reputerobrstopr has a reputation beyond reputerobrstopr has a reputation beyond reputerobrstopr has a reputation beyond reputerobrstopr has a reputation beyond reputerobrstopr has a reputation beyond reputerobrstopr has a reputation beyond repute

Like Zal said belly pan or skid plate....BUT....Don't go with this Yamaha one or any that have these deep V's built in.. My SW was getting hot...no matter if I was in powder or not nothing helped. Turned sled over and the heat exchanger was iced over. Break ice off cool right down....few miles later hot again. Checked friends Viper no build up. Had LCC check to see if I had blown head gasket as coolant was down a bit and odd getting hot. Figured I was to heavy into the boost during break in. Luckily not the case. Those deep V channels built into the skid plate build up with and hold ice providing a structure for more to build up in front of the heat exchanger. Member COYAMAHA figured it out while we were at the shop. LCC sells flat skid plates, so picked one up. I explained the issue to the parts department where I bought the Yamaha plate and they refunded me even though it had been on the sled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winder Skid Plate.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	291172  

Last edited by robrstopr; 01-09-2018 at 11:18 AM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robrstopr For This Useful Post:
Boosted Brad (02-08-2018), Calvin42 (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 01:17 PM
Currently: Loving my 850!
Basic Member
Motorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond repute

You really need to ride one. Thats the only way to know for sure.. Like Ive said in the past, they are too expensive and the resale is terrible so be sure it is what you want.

I have zero experience with the sidewinder. I own a 2015 Turbo Viper 153x3 soon to have the 36 inch a-arm front end. Sure not exactly a sidewinder but as close as it gets..

If you dont mind working a "little" harder in the trees the sled shines in all other types of riding. I bought a Polaris SKS last year because I thought I was Chris Burandt.. but those days are long gone. I sold it after one winter as I missed the torque and RELIABLE power. It also rode like a horse.. the Viper even with crap floats rode wayyy nicer than the axys. The turbo viper is so much more fun in all other areas of riding..

Anyways.. I could go on for days.. I love my sled, if I knew the sidewinder would be making an appearance I would have waited. All that sled needs is a lower seat and some good coilovers and you are set. But you just need to find one to ride.. and ride it for a day in all types of different areas.

The Following User Says Thank You to Motorbreath_ For This Useful Post:
Calvin42 (01-10-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbreath_ View Post
You really need to ride one. Thats the only way to know for sure.. Like Ive said in the past, they are too expensive and the resale is terrible so be sure it is what you want.

I have zero experience with the sidewinder. I own a 2015 Turbo Viper 153x3 soon to have the 36 inch a-arm front end. Sure not exactly a sidewinder but as close as it gets..

If you dont mind working a "little" harder in the trees the sled shines in all other types of riding. I bought a Polaris SKS last year because I thought I was Chris Burandt.. but those days are long gone. I sold it after one winter as I missed the torque and RELIABLE power. It also rode like a horse.. the Viper even with crap floats rode wayyy nicer than the axys. The turbo viper is so much more fun in all other areas of riding..

Anyways.. I could go on for days.. I love my sled, if I knew the sidewinder would be making an appearance I would have waited. All that sled needs is a lower seat and some good coilovers and you are set. But you just need to find one to ride.. and ride it for a day in all types of different areas.
Thanks for the info. I do have a friend down here that is a Yamaha dealer and does own a Sidewinder, although they haven't sold sleds down here for a long time. Has said I could get some seat time once we get some snow. I understand there are some things about the sled that can be improved on, however, I am willing to spend the money even though I understand the resale is an issue. However, with the longevity of the four stroke, I'm certain I would keep it for at least a few years. Since we don't have a dealer close by, I have done some shopping around and if you don't mind having the sled shipped to you for an extra $500, the dealer I found still makes it worth your while to purchase from them. The Turbo Nytro I had was a lot of fun and yes, it really did shine on the steep. If the handling would have been better, I may have kept it. Even with it being heavier, it was fun to ride. You just had to keep telling yourself it was not an 800 two stroke.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:59 PM
Trukker has a reputation beyond reputeTrukker has a reputation beyond reputeTrukker has a reputation beyond reputeTrukker has a reputation beyond reputeTrukker has a reputation beyond reputeTrukker has a reputation beyond reputeTrukker has a reputation beyond reputeTrukker has a reputation beyond reputeTrukker has a reputation beyond reputeTrukker has a reputation beyond reputeTrukker has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have not been on a Yammi since 98 and have about 300 miles on the 18 MTX LE and loving it more everytime I ride it . I came off a 14 XM X and honestly don't feel the weight difference . Power is smooth and no lag .Running the CR Exhaust other than that it's stock . Will boondock with ease just need a little more seat time to be comfortable in the trees . Fit an Finish is what I expect but am concerned with drop and rolled chain case so I will be adding some protection . Powder claw track really hooks up . Playing with the suspension but don't feel it wheelies too much either . Things I don't like 1. Key position is awkward to start ,always packed with snow 2. Handle bars warmer switches i'm always hitting them turning them off and on 3. Trying to adjust the QS3 position on the front shocks is hard to get my sausage fingers in there to turn dampening switch . Road bottom less deep first ride out and next 4 rides were 2-4 ft powder . Can't wait to ride it again

The Following User Says Thank You to Trukker For This Useful Post:
Calvin42 (01-10-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 05:15 PM
robrstopr has a reputation beyond reputerobrstopr has a reputation beyond reputerobrstopr has a reputation beyond reputerobrstopr has a reputation beyond reputerobrstopr has a reputation beyond reputerobrstopr has a reputation beyond reputerobrstopr has a reputation beyond reputerobrstopr has a reputation beyond reputerobrstopr has a reputation beyond reputerobrstopr has a reputation beyond reputerobrstopr has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to robrstopr For This Useful Post:
Calvin42 (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 05:35 PM

Click Here to Register

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robrstopr For This Useful Post:
Boosted Brad (01-10-2018), Calvin42 (01-10-2018), Trukker (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 06:43 PM
Currently: Waiting for some Snow
zal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 01-10-2018, 09:37 AM
Basic Member
Motorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 01-10-2018, 10:10 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 01-10-2018, 03:21 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 01-27-2018, 02:10 PM
vector boy has a reputation beyond reputevector boy has a reputation beyond reputevector boy has a reputation beyond reputevector boy has a reputation beyond reputevector boy has a reputation beyond reputevector boy has a reputation beyond reputevector boy has a reputation beyond reputevector boy has a reputation beyond reputevector boy has a reputation beyond reputevector boy has a reputation beyond reputevector boy has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Calvin42 (02-06-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 04:24 PM
Basic Member
sumtinwong has a reputation beyond reputesumtinwong has a reputation beyond reputesumtinwong has a reputation beyond reputesumtinwong has a reputation beyond reputesumtinwong has a reputation beyond reputesumtinwong has a reputation beyond reputesumtinwong has a reputation beyond reputesumtinwong has a reputation beyond reputesumtinwong has a reputation beyond reputesumtinwong has a reputation beyond reputesumtinwong has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to sumtinwong For This Useful Post:
Calvin42 (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 09:42 AM
Currently: Counting the hours till I go riding
edgey has a reputation beyond reputeedgey has a reputation beyond reputeedgey has a reputation beyond reputeedgey has a reputation beyond reputeedgey has a reputation beyond reputeedgey has a reputation beyond reputeedgey has a reputation beyond reputeedgey has a reputation beyond reputeedgey has a reputation beyond reputeedgey has a reputation beyond reputeedgey has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 02-13-2018, 12:03 PM
Basic Member
Ropin_tom has a reputation beyond reputeRopin_tom has a reputation beyond reputeRopin_tom has a reputation beyond reputeRopin_tom has a reputation beyond reputeRopin_tom has a reputation beyond reputeRopin_tom has a reputation beyond reputeRopin_tom has a reputation beyond reputeRopin_tom has a reputation beyond reputeRopin_tom has a reputation beyond reputeRopin_tom has a reputation beyond reputeRopin_tom has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 02-13-2018, 10:09 PM
stahlecker has a reputation beyond reputestahlecker has a reputation beyond reputestahlecker has a reputation beyond reputestahlecker has a reputation beyond reputestahlecker has a reputation beyond reputestahlecker has a reputation beyond reputestahlecker has a reputation beyond reputestahlecker has a reputation beyond reputestahlecker has a reputation beyond reputestahlecker has a reputation beyond reputestahlecker has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stahlecker For This Useful Post:
ggcustoms (02-13-2018), Ropin_tom (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 04:18 PM
Basic Member
Ropin_tom has a reputation beyond reputeRopin_tom has a reputation beyond reputeRopin_tom has a reputation beyond reputeRopin_tom has a reputation beyond reputeRopin_tom has a reputation beyond reputeRopin_tom has a reputation beyond reputeRopin_tom has a reputation beyond reputeRopin_tom has a reputation beyond reputeRopin_tom has a reputation beyond reputeRopin_tom has a reputation beyond reputeRopin_tom has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 02-19-2018, 12:26 PM
Currently: Yamaha 4 stroke moderator
MODERATOR: Premium Member
motojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 02-19-2018, 03:09 PM
canuck5 has a reputation beyond reputecanuck5 has a reputation beyond reputecanuck5 has a reputation beyond reputecanuck5 has a reputation beyond reputecanuck5 has a reputation beyond reputecanuck5 has a reputation beyond reputecanuck5 has a reputation beyond reputecanuck5 has a reputation beyond reputecanuck5 has a reputation beyond reputecanuck5 has a reputation beyond reputecanuck5 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to canuck5 For This Useful Post:
ggcustoms (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 08:01 PM

Click Here to Register

ggcustoms (02-19-2018)