• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Not Average Joe Boost review

T
Oct 16, 2017
Additives are snake oil. Ive ran torco before. 1 can was supposed to bring it to 104. My 09 cat turbo would hit det at Cooke at 9 or 10000 ft. At 9 pounds. Put 2 gallons of av in pump fuel and good all day.

Exactly. That said I can’t imagine breathing leaded fuel is great for you either.

ratlover

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2021
Central IL
Additives are snake oil. Ive ran torco before. 1 can was supposed to bring it to 104. My 09 cat turbo would hit det at Cooke at 9 or 10000 ft. At 9 pounds. Put 2 gallons of av in pump fuel and good all day.

Most are. Most that advertise points mean decimal points not complete point like from 91 to 92. I know on my bike regular 91 non ethanol my bike don’t like. Mix of race gas or the klotz was fine. Doing math with diluting race gas mix and going off my piss poor memory I think bike needs 94-95 to not start pulling timing and run with no detonation at WOT. Got to run a very heavy mix to get to 100 like a gallon to 10. If they say a pint bottle is making 104 outa 10gal of 91 Im saying BS lol. Also going off piss poor memory most of whats in a booster that works is toluene or xylene. Some guys in cars run that as part of a home brew with success. But price of that mixing vs cost of race gas or race gas mix makes not cost effective. Again going off poor memory from along time ago with my car buddies.

Last edited:

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
I didn't realize a gallon could be in the hose (and still doubt that). Where I fill up, the ethanol free hose is its own hose anyway. Regardless, in an absolute worst case I could end up with 90.5 octane in my tank. Knowing how the system is designed, it will likely be totally fine.

1) Testing octane at start up? HuH? I've never heard of this. You do realize how octane testing works, right? (the various standards, and how difficult it'd be to do something like this "at startup")
2) Yes, it can pull timing (and does).
3) I'd wager there is also boost control involved as the sled begins to detect detonation (wastegate will open to reduce boost)

When you start a car the pcm advances the timing until it detects ping, that tests the knock sensor’s and fuel octane.
Rough explanation
Maybe Poo has something similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I run eth-free gas in pretty much everything (cars, sleds, small engines) other than my truck (diesel); I've been aware for a long time that you get some eth if there's blended gas dispensed from the same hose, but I've never worried about it. Even if it's a full gallon, it typically ends up being a very small amount of ethanol. Most blended gas is "E10," it has 10% ethanol by volume. So if you drive up and fill your sled and there's a gallon of blended gas in the lines before you get the good stuff, you're getting 1/10 gal. of ethanol (less than a pint). You'd end up running just over 1% ethanol, assuming you typically fill around 8 gallons.

It is a big deal if you're filling a typical can for your lawn mower or whatever, but I say it'd only be enough to worry about on a sled that gets topped off a lot. If you're really worried about it, either find a pump with separate hoses (half the stations I fill from do), or run in ethanol mode. Or just don't worry about it.

P
Dec 15, 2018
So is the audible "whoosh" the wastewater? I never had any turbo action. So is it supposed to be kept revealing high So it can make boost and the lag you guys talk about is the build bag to rpm? Haha iam not riding with burandt!!!

C
Oct 13, 2021
Idaho
Ride report from a guy that owns the doo turbo as well and is a die hard doo guy . He doesn’t have a trophy from Burandt though or a expert rider so might not be legit enough lol

Really excited for him doing that this season! With how hard he rides and posts Everything! We will see how the boost holds up! I hope he rides the boost more than the doo so we see how it will actually hold up. More boost than doo might equal more problems. We shall see.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Rode the 165 Boost today. To put in perspective I ride 50 times a year. Recovering turbo addict. Haven't had a boosted sled for 3 years and said I would never own one again. Turbo sleds are heavy and I hate turbo lag for the technical riding I do.
We had a foot of new snow over night and I would say we were riding in about 4 feet of untouched snow. The sled makes a lot of power. I would say it makes as much as my last turbo MPI 850 Doo. I think the average person who never has had a turbo is going to love this sled. Most people are going to think it's awesome. I'm willing to bet we will see a lot of wrecked ones because frankly I think it's too much power for 90% of people. It definitely makes more power than the Turbo Doo. This thing absolutely tears straight up hills holding track speed from bottom to top. However it has lag. It's not clutching. I have ridden enough sleds to know what turbo lag is. It definitely lags more than the Doo. Definitely not as crisp as a Doo. My personal take is I am not blown away by this sled. This sled has some of the main reasons why I quit doing turbos. The thing is a boat anchor. Reminds me of riding Doo. I had my last year 155 Pro with us and that sled is 10 times easier to ride and takes half the effort. I'd love to see a Turbo Poo on the scale because this thing feels heavier than a stock Doo. This sled rides very very heavy. I think really good riders are not going to like it. I will probably only break this sled out in 3 feet of fresh. It takes way too much effort to ride and the power is not enough to compensate for it. Again I think the majority of people on here are going to think its the greatest sled ever. However I think the NA will still be the best choice. I bet you'll see Burandt, Monroe, and Caleb riding NAs more than the turbos. Now if I could just get my Matryx Slash 155 Pro!
Hey chadly!

Have you ridden a khaos yet?

Put some good time on my Khaos converted 165 boost today in tight trees and good snow.

It’s a bundle of fun.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Taking buddies boost tomorrow but taking my daughter on her 400 yamaha so not sure I'll get to play too much. I boosted fts a bunch and rear is as soft as it goes. Just took shroud off. No margin for error on belt. Can't get that hot can it. Did crimp d rings to shorten a little.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Wouldn't even think about the weight if i didn't ride the stocker. My wife really noticed the weight but said she forgot about it after she rode it for a while. Sled is awesome. Stock matryx is awesome. Not sure i can say that about the 400 but my daughter likes it. If you want to talk planted, that sled is planted. Cant believe it with the alpha rail. Needs suspension adjusted or something. There is some serious whining under the hood but ran great. It isn't quite the bottom end of stock but close. The guage is the coolest thing ever. My wife and daughter were eating lunch while i was playing with the boost. Didn't know where they were and guage just took me right to them. Boost doesn't feel planted at all. Cant wait to get mine and get cv custom battery kit and diamond s on them. Didn't find anything Didn't like on either. Take that back. Hand warmers were scalding on high and too cold on low. One of the first polaris's I've rode that didn't have huge glob of ice on drop bracket and back of boards. I think they are better than an axys in every way. More power, ride lighter, better brake and guage, narrower, go through the snow better, quicker handling. Like the key placement for e start. Lower and narrow seat and tank is better. Way better to sit on than the skinz tank combo. My 2 cents.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Wouldn't even think about the weight if i didn't ride the stocker. My wife really noticed the weight but said she forgot about it after she rode it for a while. Sled is awesome. Stock matryx is awesome. Not sure i can say that about the 400 but my daughter likes it. If you want to talk planted, that sled is planted. Cant believe it with the alpha rail. Needs suspension adjusted or something. There is some serious whining under the hood but ran great. It isn't quite the bottom end of stock but close. The guage is the coolest thing ever. My wife and daughter were eating lunch while i was playing with the boost. Didn't know where they were and guage just took me right to them. Boost doesn't feel planted at all. Cant wait to get mine and get cv custom battery kit and diamond s on them. Didn't find anything Didn't like on either. Take that back. Hand warmers were scalding on high and too cold on low. One of the first polaris's I've rode that didn't have huge glob of ice on drop bracket and back of boards. I think they are better than an axys in every way. More power, ride lighter, better brake and guage, narrower, go through the snow better, quicker handling. Like the key placement for e start. Lower and narrow seat and tank is better. Way better to sit on than the skinz tank combo. My 2 cents.
Mods I believe this needs to be moved to average Joe's wife's sled review...

Premium Features