• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Not Average Joe Boost review

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Rode the 165 Boost today. To put in perspective I ride 50 times a year. Recovering turbo addict. Haven't had a boosted sled for 3 years and said I would never own one again. Turbo sleds are heavy and I hate turbo lag for the technical riding I do.
We had a foot of new snow over night and I would say we were riding in about 4 feet of untouched snow. The sled makes a lot of power. I would say it makes as much as my last turbo MPI 850 Doo. I think the average person who never has had a turbo is going to love this sled. Most people are going to think it's awesome. I'm willing to bet we will see a lot of wrecked ones because frankly I think it's too much power for 90% of people. It definitely makes more power than the Turbo Doo. This thing absolutely tears straight up hills holding track speed from bottom to top. However it has lag. It's not clutching. I have ridden enough sleds to know what turbo lag is. It definitely lags more than the Doo. Definitely not as crisp as a Doo. My personal take is I am not blown away by this sled. This sled has some of the main reasons why I quit doing turbos. The thing is a boat anchor. Reminds me of riding Doo. I had my last year 155 Pro with us and that sled is 10 times easier to ride and takes half the effort. I'd love to see a Turbo Poo on the scale because this thing feels heavier than a stock Doo. This sled rides very very heavy. I think really good riders are not going to like it. I will probably only break this sled out in 3 feet of fresh. It takes way too much effort to ride and the power is not enough to compensate for it. Again I think the majority of people on here are going to think its the greatest sled ever. However I think the NA will still be the best choice. I bet you'll see Burandt, Monroe, and Caleb riding NAs more than the turbos. Now if I could just get my Matryx Slash 155 Pro!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I think that this review is going to be proven to be accurate. I rode a Doo Turbo last weekend, would never buy one. 5600 feet altitude, the "extra" power didn't overcome the heavy heavy feeling front end. Yes, 5000 feet, not a fair review. As above, I thought I would have been blown away, was not.
I would bet that the "factory turbo" thing will turn into more of a fad, at least for good riders, like you said. Unless they prove to be a good easy base to mod them to overcome the weight/handling issues. The Doo ran like a na as far as throttle response. Haven't gotten to try a Boost yet, as my bud's isn't here yet. Interested to try it though.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I found both n.a. and boost matrix were harder to get on edge. But that's only 10 minutes on them each. The owners say give it a ride or two and you will think different. It's a bit strange not having that big gas tank and seat to help kind of turn.

B
Feb 17, 2019
Agreed… A turbo Boost at 6,000 to 7,000 ish feet is probably not needed, but a Turbo Boost vs a N/A 850 at the 10,000 foot altitude in Utah etc, huge difference, and big advantage vs N/A. At 10,000 feet a N/A Poo 850 has about 123 hp vs a Boost 850 at close to 185 HP to maybe 195 HP. Close to a 60 to 70 HP gain. I’ll take that extra Hp and a little heavier sled at higher altitudes. Have you felt how sluggish a N/A 850 123 HP feels at 10,000. Ahhhh yeah. Just my opinion.

This spreadsheet in the photo below someone else put together a while back. Hope it’s legible? It’s making an assumption of a N/A 850 having 168 HP at sea level, and the Boost starting with the 10% HP increase over the N/A at sea level and moving up to 50% more HP at 10,000 feet. Anyway… Very interesting…

1cf76e2b8ac1547ec7804326c7be3017.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I have rode bone stock sled at Burandt's and honestly I didn't think it had lost that much power from riding at home at 6 k. It still got around just fine. Weight is more important than power. He has said the same thing. And I feel like even though the thing is a monster and makes great power it's a step back.

B
Feb 17, 2019
Well… There’s getting around just fine at 10k’, and there’s not really even close to keeping up with the turbos at 10k feet. To each there own, and it’s all good, but I’d prefer to do more then getting around just fine. I’d like to be able to rip it up. 60 to 70 Hp more is a huge difference. And 30lbs more in the Boost isn’t going to hold back that extra Hp. It’s mot like it’s a 15HP difference. I have very little doubt my choice will exceed my expectations at 10k feet. Whatever… good we all have choices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
You ordered a pro with a 165 track and it's to planted? Who would have guessed ?. Have you rode a khaos sled?

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
I see where you are coming from. Enjoyed my 16 polaris sidekick turbo, but not in love, due to slight lag and generally a little harder for me to ride than N/A, but still a great sled. I still preferred it to my 2018 155 pro 800 N/A. For 2020 I did an 850 khaos and sold the turbo. Love that sled. Not as good to climb the hills, but I have so much fun. My 2022 155 khaos boost should arrive tomorrow. Hoping I come back a lot more excited than you.

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Rode the 165 Boost today. To put in perspective I ride 50 times a year. Recovering turbo addict. Haven't had a boosted sled for 3 years and said I would never own one again. Turbo sleds are heavy and I hate turbo lag for the technical riding I do.
We had a foot of new snow over night and I would say we were riding in about 4 feet of untouched snow. The sled makes a lot of power. I would say it makes as much as my last turbo MPI 850 Doo. I think the average person who never has had a turbo is going to love this sled. Most people are going to think it's awesome. I'm willing to bet we will see a lot of wrecked ones because frankly I think it's too much power for 90% of people. It definitely makes more power than the Turbo Doo. This thing absolutely tears straight up hills holding track speed from bottom to top. However it has lag. It's not clutching. I have ridden enough sleds to know what turbo lag is. It definitely lags more than the Doo. Definitely not as crisp as a Doo. My personal take is I am not blown away by this sled. This sled has some of the main reasons why I quit doing turbos. The thing is a boat anchor. Reminds me of riding Doo. I had my last year 155 Pro with us and that sled is 10 times easier to ride and takes half the effort. I'd love to see a Turbo Poo on the scale because this thing feels heavier than a stock Doo. This sled rides very very heavy. I think really good riders are not going to like it. I will probably only break this sled out in 3 feet of fresh. It takes way too much effort to ride and the power is not enough to compensate for it. Again I think the majority of people on here are going to think its the greatest sled ever. However I think the NA will still be the best choice. I bet you'll see Burandt, Monroe, and Caleb riding NAs more than the turbos. Now if I could just get my Matryx Slash 155 Pro!
Have you adjusted the shocks yet? Friend of mine has a 2022 165 Khaos slash and it felt as planted as a prormk from the factory/dealer. We still don't have it dialed but the Rts seems real stiff even with it backed off. Tightening the fts helped a lot. Backed off the front end as well. Thanks for the info ?

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
Last year, I rode a T-Doo with a Bikeman setup installed. I thought totally different than what some of you are saying. That T-Doo had a perfect power-band. No lag what so ever. Now, that was not a stock T-Doo, but it was way better than my Silber Poo. I was completely sold on OEM Turbo.

Don’t know if it was because of Bikeman or not. But all I can tell you, it was completely smooth. I’m hoping my Poo can be re-created the same way. That T-Doo was a blast.

Paul, if I bring out that T-Doo for our trip, you Gotta try it out just for a comparison.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Last year, I rode a T-Doo with a Bikeman setup installed. I thought totally different than what some of you are saying. That T-Doo had a perfect power-band. No lag what so ever. Now, that was not a stock T-Doo, but it was way better than my Silber Poo. I was completely sold on OEM Turbo.

Don’t know if it was because of Bikeman or not. But all I can tell you, it was completely smooth. I’m hoping my Poo can be re-created the same way. That T-Doo was a blast.

Paul, if I bring out that T-Doo for our trip, you Gotta try it out just for a comparison.
Did you read my post? I said the Doo has no lag. The Poo does. The Doo on the other hand makes no power stock. I'm sure the Bikeman is amazing, but I've never tried it.

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
Did you read my post? I said the Doo has no lag. The Poo does. The Doo on the other hand makes no power stock. I'm sure the Bikeman is amazing, but I've never tried it.
It was meant to be more of a general discussion point. Not calling you out.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
We’ll great way to tamp down my excitement Chadly. That was my experience with my silber turbo last year when it did occasionally run “right” I still hated the thing I never could understand how anyone liked them for anything other then chute climbing or riding bottomless powder in the alpine. Rode my na Carl’s 900 most of the year. My turbos supposed to be here in January and the non turbo in February.
The good thing is I should be able to sale the turbo for at least what I paid for it.
The Carl’s 900 is going to have to carry the load most of the year again. I’m so unlucky?

D
Dec 15, 2020
Out of curiosity was the sled out of break in mode and would it make a possible difference at the end of a day if it was or wasn't broke in?

C
Jan 14, 2020
Have you adjusted the shocks yet? Friend of mine has a 2022 165 Khaos slash and it felt as planted as a prormk from the factory/dealer. We still don't have it dialed but the Rts seems real stiff even with it backed off. Tightening the fts helped a lot. Backed off the front end as well. Thanks for the info ?
I thought my 165 khaos was planted too. Until I found deep snow last time out and the skis refuse to touch the ground.

Very dependent on a good base and a foot of fresh and its VERY different.

Premium Features