• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can't get sliding side of primary apart.

F
Nov 8, 2008
Lowry, Minnesota
I've got an '09 Summit X that I'm wanting to get my set screws installed in my rollers to ride around home, but I can't get the spider to slide off. Usually I have to beat on it a little to get it to come apart, but I've had no luck getting it apart tonight. Any ideas or experiences welcome. Thanks.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Get a little portable propane torch like at Wal Mart. Heat it up a little, put a gloved hand on the center above a workbench and with the bolt screwed in give it a good whack square on the center of that bolt with a 2lb steel mallet. I tried a dead blow but that absorbs too much and won't separate it. I just had to do that this weekend to clean and install new rollers.

Rinse and repeat. It should come apart

teeroy

Lifetime Membership
I've got an '09 Summit X that I'm wanting to get my set screws installed in my rollers to ride around home, but I can't get the spider to slide off. Usually I have to beat on it a little to get it to come apart, but I've had no luck getting it apart tonight. Any ideas or experiences welcome. Thanks.
are you trying to split the halves? just thread your puller or clutch bolt into the fixed half 4 or 5 turns, and bang the bolt onto a cement floor or steel bench. hold onto the sliding half as you do it and it will pop apart.

F
Nov 8, 2008
Lowry, Minnesota
Thanks for the help, guys. The bang the bolt on the floor trick worked like a charm. Feel kinda dumb for not thinking of it myself, but hey, we all have our moments. Take 'er easy.

Premium Features