• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch ID. 2003 340.

TurboSportTSi

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2022
Lewistown, MT
Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out which primary clutch is in my '03 340 Edge and keep finding conflicting information. Sifting through the used clutches on eBay is getting frustrating since Polaris decided to change clutches over the years and keep the same name, making it impossible for the uneducated like myself to know which models apply and which don't. Also, the new clutches listed at Wahl and similar just go by the crank diameter & taper and very few other details...looks like 07-698 might work, but no way to tell.

I started out by going off of the general guidance is that the Fuji 340s/Indy Lites/etc. used P90s. I needed a new clutch cover bushing and found a P90 clutch cover assembly for a price I couldn't pass up. Once it got here, I noticed that it was set up for captivated clutch towers and my original is not. OK...not gonna work... I jumped on Dennis Kirk and went to just order the bushing...they seem to think that I need a P85 bushing. Same goes for their rebuild kits...their fitment guide calls for a P85 wide roller kit. OK, great...so I have a wide roller P85. I can live with that! Measured what's on the sled to verify and sure enough, it has narrow rollers. Good grief.

All I can find online is that P85s are a larger diameter than P90s. If I had both side by side, I could probably tell them apart, but no one lists actual dimensions. How can I tell what I have? Also, I have a splined jackshaft, which is apparently indicative of a P90 secondary. Not sure if that matters at all for the primary.

What can I measure? Are there any markings that would help ID what I've got? Heck, what I have might not even be stock! Any help would be appreciated.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Carl's cycle lists the 03 340 primary clutch as part number 1321596 and the expensive rebuild kit as 2200386. Clutch covers have been tested and balanced for the individual clutch. Unless your replacement clutch has the exact same number and location of balancing drill holes as your original clutch cover, you could get vibration that fatigues your crankshaft or shakes the engine. They have three pathetic looking 1321596 clutches on Ebay right now, that all need to have a lot of parts replaced and some 2000 grit sandpaper used to take off the corrosion. The hole inside of the clutch, has to have a specific diameter and taper, otherwise clutches from other sleds will not likely work. Replacing those parts is easy.

Premium Features