• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Breaking clutches

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I had 2 clutches break off and am wondering if the 850 with it's bigger crank taper will make the clutches even weaker as to fit the P-85 on the hole will need to be larger and therefore there will be less meat left. My question is do you think this will make the clutches break more often? Or do you think the 800's had too many vibrations and this was the cause? One of mine was a 13 Pro-Ride and one waas a 16 AXYS that failed. The 13 was near the crank and the 16 was at the outer sheave.

IMG_7043.jpg clutch3.JPG

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I had 2 clutches break off and am wondering if the 850 with it's bigger crank taper will make the clutches even weaker as to fit the P-85 on the hole will need to be larger and therefore there will be less meat left. My question is do you think this will make the clutches break more often? Or do you think the 800's had too many vibrations and this was the cause? One of mine was a 13 Pro-Ride and one waas a 16 AXYS that failed. The 13 was near the crank and the 16 was at the outer sheave.

How many miles on each?

The clutches i’ve seen break off had worn bushings and zero maintenance.
(Both on dragon 800’s) around 2k miles.
Also both sleds had blown multiple belts over the years. (Typically out of phase after blowing a belt)

I think speculation on whether they will break easier would be a great keyboard exercise but have zero application to reality.
With the added mass in the crank reducing vibration and harmonics there could easily be better longevity and wear item life?
Or it could be a 900 rmk and spit belts and clutches left and right.

Polaris doesn’t even know until mass produced units hit the snow.
The prototypes are rumored to be smoother so that sounds encouraging.

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
It’s not something I really hear or read of. Maybe your getting unlucky with getting out of balance p-85’s? Have u ever weighed your weights? Polaris weights or any manufact weights very .5 gram or even almost a full gram off from each other.

I’ve never dealed with adjustable weights but I imagine if ones not paying close attention I could have more weight on one then the other.

Both scenarios would cause problems in a hurry.

Some cat guys use the p-85 and have to have material milled out to make it fit. You don’t really hear of issues after.

I think a good balanced-aligned system should be trouble free for long time. wmo

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
How many miles on each?

The clutches i’ve seen break off had worn bushings and zero maintenance.
(Both on dragon 800’s) around 2k miles.
Also both sleds had blown multiple belts over the years. (Typically out of phase after blowing a belt)

I think speculation on whether they will break easier would be a great keyboard exercise but have zero application to reality.
With the added mass in the crank reducing vibration and harmonics there could easily be better longevity and wear item life?
Or it could be a 900 rmk and spit belts and clutches left and right.

Polaris doesn’t even know until mass produced units hit the snow.
The prototypes are rumored to be smoother so that sounds encouraging.

Both had about 2000 kms on them but the AXYS clutch had 5 rides since rebuild. One thing to note though is the 13 broke when removing it and I did read that the new larger taper on the 19 is to make removal easier. Maybe Polaris has noticed they are hard to remove and this is causing failures? Just speculation though??

ps, I rarely have blown a belt since we have been gearing down.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I personally think they are breaking from stress associated from repeated removals using impact tools.
Impact tools are hard on clutches and cranks.

R
Feb 26, 2008
I personally think they are breaking from stress associated from repeated removals using impact tools.

I would agree except Ive seen 6+ that I can guarantee the clutches never came off since being uncrated.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca

These clutches never saw any impact tools for removal. Unless the dealer did it during a warranty event that I did not know about.

Premium Features