• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ETEC water pump gear issues?

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Sold a '11 Freeride this summer that was all updated and ran perfect through the day I put it away for the year. First ride out the new owner says it's overheating after a few miles even in deep snow. Finally took it into a shop and they said it's the gear that drives the water pump. Anyone else ever had this problem on an ETEC or is this an isolated deal? I never had any issues and I put it through about every kind of snow condition there is.

Last edited:
M

Mach-ster

Jan 5, 2008
Sold a '11 Freeride this summer that was all updated and ran perfect through the day I put it away for the year. First ride out the new owner says it's overheating after a few miles even in deep snow. Finally took it into a shop and they said it's the gear that drives the water pump. Anyone else ever had this problem on an ETEC or is this an isolated deal? I never had any issues and I put it through about every kind of snow condition there is.

I personally had (2) waterpumps fail! worm gear stripped, my good friend also had (1) fail, both of these are ptek's however. If you do a search there are others that have had this failure, and of course when this happens you also loose oil pump at same time, requires pulling engine. :face-icon-small-coo

L
Mar 8, 2008
It can happen yes but as a dealer for 12 years now i have had this happen to 2 sleds so not a frequent failure, the Etec have a separate electrical oil pump so the engine have not lost lubrication.

Premium Features