• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First ride problems.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
I have never had so many issues with a new sled. It's a freeride 165. Has anyone had a muffler overheat code? The water temp was fine but after holding it at 6000 rpm across a lake in deep powder for a couple minutes it would flash muffler over heat and go into limp mode. I would Crack the throttle and it would come out of it. It happend twice on different days. Second my fuel tank has collapsed and only holds 5 gallons and third I am getting snow in the belt compartment during sidehilling and the belt slips big time. It's possible the snow is coming in under the tank. Any thoughts?

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
I had a bunch of funny codes during breakin on my expert turbo but have all gone away now. I highly doubt snow would be getting in under the fuel tank if the tank was not collapsed. How did the tank collapse?

M
Jan 26, 2013
Your sled must be the proto - type version. I fail to see the correlation between snow under the tank and snow in the belt compartment. Or is it just the wording that makes it sound as if there is two problems with one cause? Or is it yet another click bait this brand sucks and I am never buying another ?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Your sled must be the proto - type version. I fail to see the correlation between snow under the tank and snow in the belt compartment. Or is it just the wording that makes it sound as if there is two problems with one cause? Or is it yet another click bait this brand sucks and I am never buying another ?
Clearly not clickbait.

Let it go guy. This is a forum… issues are to be discussed, and comparisons are to be made. If you can’t handle it go elsewhere.

M
Jan 26, 2013
Clearly not clickbait.

Let it go guy. This is a forum… issues are to be discussed, and comparisons are to be made. If you can’t handle it go elsewhere.
I fail to see your angle. Do you have an answer to my question or just a critique of my asking it? How does snow under a fuel tank which is above the tunnel, cause snow infiltration on the belt? Do you honestly believe there is over 921 cubic inches of snow under his gas tank? 1 gallon =231 cu in. The entire post smells like a burnt belt????

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I fail to see your angle. Do you have an answer to my question or just a critique of my asking it? How does snow under a fuel tank which is above the tunnel, cause snow infiltration on the belt? Do you honestly believe there is over 921 cubic inches of snow under his gas tank? 1 gallon =231 cu in. The entire post smells like a burnt belt
If the tank is not seated fully on to the tunnel, snow can travel under the tank up into the engine compartment, where there happens to be a couple of clutches that should never get wet.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

M
Jan 26, 2013
If the tank is not seated fully on to the tunnel, snow can travel under the tank up into the engine compartment, where there happens to be a couple of clutches that should never get wet.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
So the volume of 4.5 gallons of gas bulged the fuel cell unnoticed, melted, migrated pass the baffle between clutch and engine. This water presumably was trap in the belly pan and turned the primary into a propeller. It seems plausible. I relent you are now master of the domain.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
The end of the vent line isn't froze so the line is pinched or the check valve is bad. It's been so cold I haven't had a chance to take it apart.

K
Apr 12, 2018
I don't think a fuel pump could pull enough vacuum to collapse the tank like that. The motor would have starved for fuel way before that. And, it sounds like your side panel is not on correctly. Just rode 4 days in 6+ feet of powder, northern Colorado, and snow on my belt definitely wasn't a problem.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
We had a 22 suck the tank as you describe (although not as much) last week, it seemed to resolve itself when it warmed up and we opened the cap. I also had a bunch of check engine light flashes on mine during break in. I took it to the dealer where I was riding and they flashed it. No more light.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
I don't think a fuel pump could pull enough vacuum to collapse the tank like that. The motor would have starved for fuel way before that. And, it sounds like your side panel is not on correctly. Just rode 4 days in 6+ feet of powder, northern Colorado, and snow on my belt definitely wasn't a problem.
Well you are dead wrong. You could stick your arm under the tank and the top was sucked down 2" also

Premium Features