• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gen II Simmons on Nytro opinions

G

GRINreeper

Jan 5, 2010
Kelowna B.C.
My Findings...

Pros:

Steering was better in deep snow all round

eliminates darting on trails

awesome in the fluffy pow

sidehilling to me was more stable

I dont know for sure, seems like landing from wheelies is softer.

they look awesome !

cons:

harder to steer at low speeds (who cares)

a bit harder to pull the nytro over in heavy snow

two nytros with Simmons Gen II tight sqeeze on my trailer.

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
I am not a mountain expert by any means, but when getting tired towards the end of the day i found it much harder to pull over and carve with. Traded with a guy with a narrowed up apex and found it much easier to lay over. Other than that I loved them. Smoother ride, better on trail, kept nose up. easier steering.

May try moving them as narrow as I can get them and go again. May use the yammi ones for the few times you get a really deep day.

P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
i took mine off and never looked back . i think it makes the nytro handle like a tank. there great in really deep powder and thats it . on set up snow it makes the sled much harder to carve and side hill . still have the gen 2s if you want a set .

L

litenitro

Jan 4, 2010
Montana
TRY THIS

Try the genII mod, I was skeptical to say the least, But did it anyway, figured I didn't have anything to loose. This mod makes my nitro carve almost as easy as an M sled. It has made my sled so fun, I'm not sure if I want to sell it now!!!!!
I'm not done, I need to take a heat gun and soften the edge, oh and maybe wash the mud off..:face-icon-small-hap

20100217142828(1).jpg

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I am not sold on them. I think you need two sets of skis for different snow.
They do float better in deep snow and stop darting on the trail. When they do dive under the snow I think they dive worse than regular skis. They steer really hard in harder or wetter snow. They are harder to tip up but I don't think that is an issue on the nytro. When the sled is layed over and you hit something or catch an old track they tend to catch more or throw you for a loop compared to other skis. I wouldn't buy them again but they aren't that bad.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
I am not sold on them. I think you need two sets of skis for different snow.
They do float better in deep snow and stop darting on the trail. When they do dive under the snow I think they dive worse than regular skis. They steer really hard in harder or wetter snow. They are harder to tip up but I don't think that is an issue on the nytro. When the sled is layed over and you hit something or catch an old track they tend to catch more or throw you for a loop compared to other skis. I wouldn't buy them again but they aren't that bad.

I agree. put the gen 2's on for massive powder days, then take them off for all other conditions. The gen 2's are incredibly hard to steer on the trail.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Rented an 09' with Gen 2's on them to see if I liked the nytro. I don't have anything to compare them to, being my first ride on a nytro, but I hated how heavy it was to steer those 4 foot wide skis I had up front! I wouldn't put those suckers on my sled if you paid me, but I also didn't have the deep powder that they were made for to test them in.

W
Jan 4, 2009
They are the best thing I put on my RX1, and with the mod as mentioned above, they are perfect now for all riding conditions and sidehilling.

T

TApeX_07

working on a pic..

simmonsGenIII.jpg

Last edited:

onepicknick

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
i took mine off and never looked back . i think it makes the nytro handle like a tank. there great in really deep powder and thats it . on set up snow it makes the sled much harder to carve and side hill . still have the gen 2s if you want a set .

I did the same thing the nytro bought I almost never because it handled like a tank so took the skis off and now I love the sled

J
Nov 27, 2007
I am running a set of the new gen 3s now. I have tried the 1s and 2s, thought the ones were great, for the trail. the 2s worked good but made my apex a hog and forced commitment to a move. The new ones float better than stock, you can still sink them in powder to carve without tons of effort, the deeper keel seems to make them run down the trail like you are on rails and side hill better than the 2s. So far I am very happy with them. Biggest plus is how stable they are cutting tracks, up or down hill and no darting on the trail. At this point I dont have a down side to these, my sleds tend to run heavy on the skis so they are hard to turn allways. I will have more feedback on how much harder they are to turn when we get them on the m for a weekend.. julio

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
I like my Gen 2's in the powder but must admit they make my shoulders sore in set up snow. I find the keel a little deep on the factory ski so I am going to try a set of the new MT9 skis. I will still use the Gen 2's for the deep stuff.

Premium Features