• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha training wheels

S
Feb 23, 2020
It's my second season on the Alpha, and for most scenarios I enjoy the nimble feeling of the mono rail, but like many, I found the track would flex too much and wash out while side hilling or tight carving. Also hard to find the balance point while technical riding.

I had an idea to add some extra bogey wheels between the front and rear idlers. Thinking this should reduce flex and allow the track to bite a bit more while on edge.

So I drilled a 5/16" hole through the rear track arm mount and installed a 7" long 5/16 bolt with two 110mm scooter wheels from Amazon. Rode today in about a foot of fresh, I did feel a subtle but noticeable difference. No wondering side to side. No wash outs. But the real test will have to be in marginal snow.

A240DBBC-A59E-4EFD-8901-5885DEFC6322.jpeg 8F042A95-AE2C-424B-9613-A25EA2FD21D9.jpeg

D
Feb 7, 2022
Sure is a lot of talk about the 3" track wash out on the alpha. I have a 146" 2.6 alpha and never have wash out issues. I'm amazed how the 2.6" hooks up on tight turns and lower snow conditions and does fairly well in deep conditions. The 2.6" is very stable in all conditions in my opinion. I had a 3.0 on my 19 hardcore and didn't like it . To slippery in marginal conditions.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
It's my second season on the Alpha, and for most scenarios I enjoy the nimble feeling of the mono rail, but like many, I found the track would flex too much and wash out while side hilling or tight carving. Also hard to find the balance point while technical riding.

I had an idea to add some extra bogey wheels between the front and rear idlers. Thinking this should reduce flex and allow the track to bite a bit more while on edge.

So I drilled a 5/16" hole through the rear track arm mount and installed a 7" long 5/16 bolt with two 110mm scooter wheels from Amazon. Rode today in about a foot of fresh, I did feel a subtle but noticeable difference. No wondering side to side. No wash outs. But the real test will have to be in marginal snow.
It's all about foot position. Or rider position. The alpha hold great lines. Regardless of steepness. It's a matter of keeping foot forward and throttle control.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Throttle control is key on sidehilling the alpha in marginal snow. You can’t ride them like a twin rail in those conditions. Also that 146” track is gonna be stiffer than say a 165” with Less track flex which would help.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
The “lot of talk” typically seems to come from guys who haven’t spent much time on them or get embarrassed when they burn out on a turn and blame the sled instead of the rider.

Yes, I’ve washed out.
On all my sleds.

We run an 18 twin rail with our alphas every ride.
I’ll stick with the alpha, can personally finesse it through tough spots much easier.

S
Feb 23, 2020
I could see how a 146 or 154 would be stiffer, especially with the 2.6.

As mentioned this is my second season on the alpha, I have my body position and throttle control down pat. But in my experience my 165 flexes too much which occasionally causes it to wash out in certain terrain.

The additional bogey wheels shorten the distance between contact points of the front and rear idlers. Which I believe will be an improvement in handling performance.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007

I have never understood why the aftermaket hasnt done this yet. You should put out a kit. Sure it will break eventually, if not there somewhere else They are not a last forever skid/track

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
It's all about foot position. Or rider position. The alpha hold great lines. Regardless of steepness. It's a matter of keeping foot forward and throttle control.

I get a kick out of the throttle control comments, sure it will hold a line at a snails pace, but good riders are not content going slow and if you ride in all season (variable conditions) the tracks self destruct.

The new 2.86 pitch track with a 4 wheel kit might be less prone wash and able to hold lines without going slow but at this point the alpha rail in general is a fail in my book. Hopefully it doesn’t take them as long as it took doo to get the skid fixed.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
I have never understood why the aftermaket hasnt done this yet. You should put out a kit. Sure it will break eventually, if not there somewhere else They are not a last forever skid/track

There was a guy on the alpha Facebook group in McCall making cnc’d brackets that accepted oem front wheels, they look pretty good.

Last edited:

ultimax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Washington State
Sled 604 - How are the training wheels you installed on your Alpha working out for you? Does it ride any different, are they holding up to the various snow conditions?

R
Feb 26, 2008
There was a guy on the alpha Facebook group in McCall making cnc’d brackets that accepted oem front wheels, they look pretty good.
I never found anyone to make them after my machinist bailed on me. I have the dimensions and part numbers if someone wants them.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Losing your best machinist is the worst.

S
Feb 23, 2020
Sled 604 - How are the training wheels you installed on your Alpha working out for you? Does it ride any different, are they holding up to the various snow conditions?

3 rides in, so far so good. No extra wear to the hifax or track. It's been deeper days though so haven't really tested it in marginal snow yet.

Premium Features