• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shovels?!

L

lynxer292b

Jan 19, 2009
What do you guys think is the best shovel out on the market?

Voile's T-Wood Extreme with saw
HMK Shovel with saw
WPS Shovel

Do you guys like the aluminum or plastic shovels better?

If you were to make the "dream shovel" what would it be like?

Your input is very much appreciated!

Thank you in advance guys!

B
Nov 26, 2007
North Vancouver
I've had an SOS shovel with saw in the handle for 5 years. It is indestructable.

Recently I purchased an ABS Vario 30, and it has an Ice Axe loop on it. The G3 AviTech shovel has an Ice Axe loop attaching gizmo that allows it to be carried on the ABS pack....I can carry the handle on the outside of the pack.

Both are well made, and important for me, they arent made off shore....
Both shovels are aluminum --- no plastic. I like the D handle of the G3, and the saw of the SOS.

The SOS rides on the sled, where it is used all the time, and the G3 is in the pack for when the sh!t hits the fan, or to loan out to someone that forgot/lost theirs....

G
Nov 30, 2007
BCA! expandible, has probe in handle and rugged! I had a HMK and liked it but like my BCA more. I just carry a seperate saw cuz I use the shovel more than my saw so I have no reason to have them together!

S
Jul 17, 2008
Washington
having a probe in you shovel does not make much sense to me.

if you are probing, once you find something you want to start digging immediately, not waste those precious seconds reattaching the handle to your shovel.

G
Nov 30, 2007
having a probe in you shovel does not make much sense to me.

if you are probing, once you find something you want to start digging immediately, not waste those precious seconds reattaching the handle to your shovel.

it goes in the handle.. easily removed and not part of the shovel.. just stored in the handle of the shovel!

G
Nov 30, 2007
assembly.jpg

shaftANDprobeUP.jpg

The lightest, most compact shovel/probe combination.

Super-strong oval shaft with T-grip
Fixed-length or extendable length variations
6061-series aluminum blade with oval ferrule
Blade dimensions: 9x10 inches/23x25.5 cm
Stowable probe: 6 feet/180 cm, 5 ounces/142 grams
Fixed-length shovel:

Length: 25 inches/63 cm
Weight: 16 ounces/454 grams
Extendable-length shovel:

Collapsed length: 28.5 inches/72 cm
Extended length: 34.5 inches/88 cm
Weight: 23 ounces/652 grams

K
Nov 29, 2007
Colorado
Don't even think about a plastic scoop. Go with metal.

I just got a Voile T-Wood shovel today, thanks to the snowest discount! Looks well designed and made. We'll see if I now ditch the old pruning saw or not.

I also have a BCA shovel with probe. Seems like the probes that can store in shovel handles are typically smaller and more lightweight. Better than no probe when needed, but there are far better probes available (longer and more heavy duty construction/materials).

T
Dec 9, 2007
Tahoe
I have a Big Plastic Shovel for shovelling decks bungeed on the back of my sled. It makes quick work out of getting unstuck. I also carry a Black Diamond Bobcat shovel in my pack.

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
Black Diamond Deploy 3 in my ABS15 (fits inside completely and is aluminum) and an SOS on my sled. Deploy 3 is used if I'm separated from my sled...

zacs

Lifetime Membership
Careful about the 'probe in the shovel' combination. Buried people have been excavated alive at 2.3m. Most of the probes that can fit in shovels are less than 2m long. Unless you plan to bend down and dig a hole you could possibly miss a recoverable victim.
Also, read the directions for these rather delicate probes....'push gently into the snow'. :rolleyes:Hmm....we have seen full diameter probes be bent on avalanche slopes.
When purchasing a probe, take a look at the diameter, the amount of flex (you want sturdy), and the length (3.2m is common). Size matters boys!!;)
You want a probe with enough cable so that when the probe is folded down that the sections are not rubbing on the cable and causing it to fray. Also, take a look at the closure. Consider reliability in cold weather and if moisture could freeze some of the working parts. Fine threads can get filled with snow and some styles have the top section that slides over an upper shaft. This commonly freezes together and renders the probe useless.
One more thing, check to see how easy it is to take up slack if the cable gets stretched. If the probe is loose when assembled, snow can get jammed in the sections and it can easily get broken. Hope this helps.

Read the article that RGM posted. It is worth the read!

T
Jan 28, 2008
Shovel Size

How big of shovel can you get as far as avy shovels I have a BCA Chugach Pro with the blade 11.5" x 12.5".It seems that the a lot of the live rescues happen in under 15 minutes,I talked to one fellow that was involved in a rescue that resulted in a fatality ,with 9 shovels moving snow and the had him out in 11 minutes,if the shovels would have been larger they may have shaved several minutes off that time as he said the snow never set up really hard for sevaral minutes after the had him out.There will always be exceptions,but if you are digging some out alive would not having a larger shovel on your sled and have your avy shovel on your pack.I have seen pictures of large rescue teams using alumunium grain scoops for digging out body's.

Premium Features