• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to the site & 900 world. Time to get dirty!

Aug 12, 2013
IL
Well I just picked up a 06' Switchback last weeked after A LOT of reading/research.

I picked it up on the lower end of the price range. Its completley stock without a single update...besides a new gas tank. 25XX mi

I tore it down and no big surprises besides a broken bolt in the cross brace that mounts the front of the engine. I was able to use an easy-out to extract the bolt!

Now its time to reassemble and perform the updates/upgrades.

Ive read about the radiator delete...but havent seen WHY you guys are doing it. To run cooler? I dont see how removing a radiator would help reduce coolant temps?

So here are the updates I plan on performing

-vents
-primary clutch balancing
-slp torque arm/stop
-new throttle/oil cable

Id like to get the reliability updates complete...then work on the performance!

My current sled is an 05 XCSP 600. So Im sure it will take some getting used to the 144' track and the big twin!

So any advice for a newbie would be appreciated. I usually make a few trips to MI and WI every winter. So mainly ride trails and some off trail riding when possible.

Here are a few pics of the new project....:camera:

IMG_20130817_124344.jpg IMG_20130815_193758.jpg IMG_20130817_161200.jpg

Last edited:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Welcome to the site!

It sounds like you have been doing some reading, which is very good for a new 900 owner. There are LOTS of threads in the stickies at the top that can help to answer many of the questions you will have on how to make your new sled reliable for years to come.

In regards to the radiator delete, that is a mod that the mountain riders do. The radiator screen will get covered over in deep snow and restricts airflow to the radiator. Also the factory routing of the coolant system is poor on the 900s. As a trail rider, you will want to leave the radiator in place for maximum cooling, but you will need to re-plumb it to work effectively. There is a diagram in the stickies as to the proper routing. You effectively want the hose coming out of the front of the head to route into the radiator, and then from the radiator to the hose that goes down under the motor. To achieve this, you will need to block off the hose coming out of the front of the coolant bottle that currently returns from the radiator. A 1/2" pipe plug and a hose clamp will accomplish this, and then a new coupler to replace the "T" fitting will be needed. The hose coming out of the head will be plumbed straight to the radiator instead of going to that "T" fitting.

Another thing you will want to look at with 2500 miles on the sled will be to replace all 4 motor mounts. 900s are known for tearing them up with all the torque they produce and since you have the motor out, now is a perfect time to do it. They should be less that $100 for all four 2006 mounts if I remember correctly.

Good luck, and Welcome to the club!:beer;

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2013
IL
Thanks for the heads up on the radiator delete.

I did notice one of the coolant lines was wearing thin in one spot.

Where is the best place to get motor mounts..oem polaris OR aftermarket? Is there one that would be cheaper?

Any idea if I get this sled tuned right if it could out run my buddie's 800 Crossfire..:face-icon-small-ton ??

Im glad I have a few months to wrench before the snow flies!!

S

sno_mo_racer

Oct 28, 2009
Kugluktuk Nunavut
Welcome to the club. Since you are a flatlander leave the radio in and replumb. Get it to the dealer and see what all updates are still available. Change the fuel filter, freshen up clutches springs, shocks also need to be serviced also if they are the rebuildable ones, since you have the engine out might be best to put knew rings on now unless you can do a compression test while off and check if they are within tolerance. Read the stickies up top a lot of useful info. There is a better throttle oil cable you will find in the stickies.

Aug 12, 2013
IL
I plan on heading to Hay Days this year. So im starting a list of items to look for. Hopefully find some deals!

It did run before i took it all apart. Compresson was at 120psi on both sides.

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
Thanks for the heads up on the radiator delete.

I did notice one of the coolant lines was wearing thin in one spot.

Where is the best place to get motor mounts..oem polaris OR aftermarket? Is there one that would be cheaper?

Any idea if I get this sled tuned right if it could out run my buddie's 800 Crossfire..:face-icon-small-ton ??

Im glad I have a few months to wrench before the snow flies!!

Alright!!!! Another switchback owner!!!! Where you ride mostly? Mountian or flatland?

As for the rad delete don't do it if you ride the trails there is a post in the 900 section that a member wrote up how to run the radiator and heat exchanger in a series instead of having them in their own seperate loops. I did this to my switchback 9 and she runs 107-113 all day long.

Welcome to the forums and watch out for 94fordguy, he owns a van and has candy lol

Aug 12, 2013
IL
Uh oh...I like candy too. haha

I see there are some cheaper vents listed in a thread. Are these as good as the SLP ones? In this case do you get what you pay for?

Thanks!

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
Uh oh...I like candy too. haha

I see there are some cheaper vents listed in a thread. Are these as good as the SLP ones? In this case do you get what you pay for?

Thanks!

The one side of my sled has all slp vents and the other side has some vents I bought on fleabay and I honestly can't tell the difference and they were 20 bucks cheaper

Last edited:

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
A good fresh set of clutch springs and maybe a balance while it is off. 900 clutch is different than the 800's. Scratchers on low snow trail ride hard pack will HELP with temps.
READ stickies over and over the more you look at them the more you know! There is an awesome amount of info on this forum..ASK all the questions ya want...this is a great group of guys!! Welcome to the Elite 900 club !!!!!

Aug 12, 2013
IL
Ill see what I can find at Hay Days.

Then after that...let the part ordering begin. Hopefully get this monster back together and ready for the 13' season!

It sure makes my 121" Polaris Edge look small.

Thanks for all the replies.

Aug 12, 2013
IL
Its coming back together...

I noticed 3 of the 4 motor mounts were torn...so got those ordered!

Just waiting on those along with a few things from SLP!

With the chassis torn apart I installed:

-Fine n' Ice vents
-blasted the exhaust and painted
-cleaned exhaust valves
-new exhaust bellows
-set TPS

Still need to rebuild the primary with new pucks

Hopefully I remember how to put this thing back together! ha

Then once Im done with the front ... time to tear apart the rear suspension!

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
Anyone have any pictures of how they re-routed the coolant lines? I see the diagram...just want to see if I can find some pics.
y
Thanks!

Is this what you have or looking for?
Also, dont waste money on the SLP rad kit, all you need is a 3/4" barbed coupling and a few hose clamps. The barb fitting has a bigger ID than the SLP coupling, allowing more H2O flow.

900rmkcoolingsysassy-1.jpg

T

timc3352

Feb 12, 2013
Southern Minnesota
Thanks for the good info! I too am also new to this forum and am a flatlander also. I have already completed a lot of these updates but still have the plumbing re route and looking into different throttle cabel.

Aug 12, 2013
IL
Thanks! Thats what I was looking for.

Any chance anyone has pictures of there sled after they did this? Anything to look out for when re-routing?

Aug 12, 2013
IL
Making some progress...

Chasing an oil leak this afternoon after I got it all back together....:crazy:

Some pictures of the fire n ice vents and slp torque stop. Hopefully make some more progress next week!

IMG_20131005_100744.jpg IMG_20131005_100807.jpg IMG_20131005_100728.jpg

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
Looking good.
Before you go any further, loosen the motor mounts on mag side and remove the lower bolt of the recoil housing. Its not accessible with the motor fully installed. That way you can access the housing in the field if you need to retrieve your pull cord.

Premium Features