• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Edge Steering Problem

A
Dec 11, 2007
I have a 03 Edge 700 RMK. Took it out for the first ride of the season and the flange at the top of the steering post where the handle bars attached fatigued on one side. Brought it home and welded the flange back together, but now the skis aim considerably to the right when the handle bars are straight. It seem like there might be an underlying problem with maybe the bottom of the steering post, but can't see it.

Any thoughts?

Is there a way to get a good look at the bottom of the steering post without pulling the engine?

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
Oh boy no real good way unless you got a borescope camera and a flashlight..... Did it take a hard hit or get rolled on hard snow? I have bent the steering posts before by rolling the sled and or hitting god only knows what buried under the snow and by reefing the sled up on edge with wide handle bars.

A
Dec 11, 2007
Just riding up the trail. A few whoops but nothing serious. By pulling the air box I was able to get a look at the lower steering post mounting bracket. It has about 3/16" of slop side to side. Unfortunately I can't see what is allowing the slop. I think the mounting holes are becoming oval. Probably have to pull the engine to find out.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
The rod ends tend to loosen in whatever swivel plate arm they are mounted to, and then start rocking which allows steering slop. You have to get an eye on each one and then work the steering to see if each one rocks. Then you tighten the bottom nut on the ones that rock.

Premium Features