• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How do I get the boost to ride lighter

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
Finally got in my first mountain trip on the 165 2.75" boost, the sled is totally stock including clutching it has about 700 miles on it and I feel it is lacking in throttle response also. Went to Revy and had excellent 24-36" fresh powder for 1 day and heavier snow another. I'm 58 years old, 5'8" and weigh about 160 lbs. My last 5 sleds have been axys 163's, 3-800's and 2-850's all with with low bars, Silber turbos, Raptor shocks, 36" trencher front ends, and offset spindles where I rode with various widths from 34" to 36", I also rode with and without the swaybar at times. Riding with the 34" front and no swaybar made it a challenge to not over-ride the sled, at times it would move quicker than I could react to so I went back to the swaybar. I found the boost to feel very heavy on the front end and the ski shocks felt very firm even with the clickers backed right off. I felt it took more effort to get the sled on edge than my previous setups. I did remove the link on the swaybar about 1/4 of the way into the day, increased the preload on the center shock, and played with clicker settings. That did help but it still has a way to go before I'll be happy with it. One of the guys had a 2022 165 expert Doo and when I rode it it felt like it had power steering compared to my heavy steering boost, it took less effort to initiate a downhill turn and to get on edge. I'm a Polaris guy so I would like to reduce the heavy feeling and get this boost to react with less effort than it currently takes. I'm not into doing all the fancy tricks, I just want to fine tune this sled to make it easier to ride in the trees by making it feel lighter on the front and require less effort to maneuver. I also want to improve the bottom end response so I'm looking for some clutching to make it rippier without giving up on the top end. I plan on installing a Khaos limiter strap. What other suggestions aside from dropping my age from 58 to 28 or suddenly becoming 6'4" tall do you folks have? Wish I could turn back time but it isn't an option. LOL!!!!

T
Oct 16, 2017
Khaos limiter should help. Even on my Khaos 155 I put a ti can, torqued the fts, lightened the rts, and put a Burandt bag on tunnel. Thing is perfect but it took increasing weight transfer and lightening the front end to get it there

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Lighten it up, if e-start, then remove. I have ridden 2 Boosts, one with e-start, one without. The additional estart weight was noticeable in my opinion. Otherwise like Chadly said you have to work with what you have.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
It is not the estart. It is geometry. I have a kaos boost with estart and it is nothing like that. My buddy has pro boost and it does feel like a boat anchor. We both put cv customs lightweight battery kit on them. Try the limiter strap. He is going to also. Two completely different machines. Put diamond s on both but haven't tried them yet. Supposed to snow Tuesday so maybe Wednesday

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
What did you snowcheck for next season?
9R 155 2.75. I snow checked a 155 this year but it got here first week of March so I bailed on it. My Boost is better with a Skinz Hood and Diamond S and finally got Burandt shocks for the rear. It's a great deep snow sled but I would say we only get that much snow a few times a year.

M

Mr. Redrock

Nov 26, 2007
I think the stock shocks are not calibrated right. I tried everything and finally did raptor shocks in the rear a that made a big difference. I tried the longer limiter with stock shocks without much improvement

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
IceAge Khaos rails help as well along with a 150/160# FTS spring and a 185 Khaos RTS spring.
The stock Velocity shocks need a revalve for sure.
There is an issue with the 2.75” track, it folds over. The 3” will get you on edge quicker because it doesn’t fold as quick. Response is everything.
The new cockpit makes you stand further forward. The narrow tank lessened the amount of pressure you put on the tank with the inside of your leg initiating a turn or lift as well, compared to the AXYS. Step back and see what happens.

Last edited:

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
IceAge Khaos rails help as well along with a 150/160# FTS spring and a 185 Khaos RTS spring.
The stock Velocity shocks need a revalve for sure.
There is an issue with the 2.75” track, it folds over. The 3” will get you on edge quicker because it doesn’t fold as quick. Response is everything.
The new cockpit makes you stand further forward. The narrow tank lessened the amount of pressure you put on the tank with the inside of your leg initiating a turn or lift as well, compared to the AXYS. Step back and see what happens.
I was pretty sore when I stepped off a 22 matryx two weeks ago. At 6'7 the inside of my knees were taking a pounding and the seat material is a bit more narrow and firm made me a little saddle sore. Went yesterday with padded bike shorts and a set of knee/shin guards with padding on the inside of the knees. Feeling like a million bucks this morning.

pepperhouse

Premium Member
Jan 28, 2010
9R 155 2.75. I snow checked a 155 this year but it got here first week of March so I bailed on it. My Boost is better with a Skinz Hood and Diamond S and finally got Burandt shocks for the rear. It's a great deep snow sled but I would say we only get that much snow a few times a year.
Thanks for the info.
Have both a boost and a 9r in khaos trim 165s snow checked.
Guess I’ll give them both a ride or two and decide which one I’m keeping.
Been enjoying my 19’ 850 stocker but those 3-4 days a year when it’s good I sure miss my old turbo.

Premium Features