• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 850 Down….?

J
Feb 26, 2018
Good luck. My case didn't vent so they said no long block. Apparently there is none available either.

This is the 3rd week at the dealer now. Can't get pistons.

J
Feb 26, 2018
Still waiting……??
Make sure your dealer places a VDO (Vehicle down order). Mine didn't at first. This should help speed things up. My dealer called late last week and said they found some pistons another dealer was willing to part with. Polaris is paying for expedited shipping.

I'm hoping sled may be ready this week #4 down.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
I hate to say it, But I predicted what the future of this motor would be….. And like clock work it’s all unfolding exactly how I figured it would……. And how the cylinder finish, and the PTO-End design should allow.

Its strange to me, the 850 is such a great motor…. Much better in so many ways then all the 800 motors ever built 2008 thru till the end.

Yet the 850 is plagued with a few flaws that are so easy to fix, I posted the in December of the 2018

i pointed them out for all to see, and none of them were addressed in the following 3 years.

The changes Polaris made to get 40cc’s out the 850 motor in 2019 were absolutely brilliant to say the least.

Robbing crankshaft length out of the Mag end on moving it to the center of the crankshaft is so brilliant I cannot hardly explain it.

The Motor mounts are also brillant.

i say this next statement as simply a fact nothing more….. ( We do not need to reach for work Indy Specialty has plenty of work. )

Statement is - All production 850 motors should be removed from the chassis pulled down when they are New and the cylinder finish should be fixed, and the PTO-end of the crankshaft should be replaced with our New Custom Built 40mm PTO-End And Bearing upgrades.

if those steps are taken the 850 is as close to Bullet proof as any modern 850 built today.

I.E. - The 2022 Fuel pumps, and the 2022 Cooling system with the short tunnel is a whole other train wreck.

The 2023 Most likely will completely resigned cooling system ….. the short cooler is a engineering failure.

This spring riding season ( EVERY ) 2022 Polaris Mountain will over heat to level never seen before.

And if your not careful they will most likely VOID every warranty on very sled if Polaris wants to be a Dick about it.

Temps way past 200 degrees will common daily conversation….. and these big numbers will be a bad deal come warranty claim time.

Dan

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Sorry for the blanket statements, I am not speaking to all…. I am directing this towards people that always have motor troubles…. ( But trust me there are alot of failed 850’s ) And do not for one minutes except SUPPLY CHAIN DELAY !

( 100% ) - of the entire bean counter staff at Polaris should be fired Tomorrow - They are ruining the company at record speed.

Next they need to stop listening To Chris Burandt about everything under the Hood, ( Sorry Chris not trying to slam you, But just because it’s fast and fun for a few week’s doesn’t mean it’s consumer ready ) The New 900 will most likely suffer more problem then all 650, 850 Patriot motors. ( A lite-weight flywheel is almost as dumb as a roller bearing PTO bearing. )

as For the cylinder finish…. It has gotten much better, but some are terrible so there is a quality control problem the reason the ring locators fail is because the ring is getting to got….. it’s glowing Red Hot causing the anti-rotation pin to fail.

and depending on how you ride there are many many sleds that run great for many years, But if you are a mountain guy that Makes lots of long full throttle pulls early in the motors life the ring life is 15 to 25 hours at best.

These new motors need pre-mix….. and they need to be broke in very gently and after break in they should be re-ringed.

As for the PTO-End Roller bearing design it is a complete design failure.

For all those that have had good luck……Great for you and I hope you get many many miles….. But let it be known the failures have for the most part run Polaris out of motor parts.

And for the over heating statement I made……. Spring is coming and the Short tunnel short heat exchanger sleds are going to be impossible to keep cool on the trail….. and conventional scratchers will not work.

The 900 Will give Polaris the Big Boy company ( Chest Pound ) but my guess is it’s going to be a train wreck.

The Roller Bearing PTO -end is a big mistake.

advice I would give….. Buy a 650, or an 850

Seems strange, Indy Specialty is building a new heavier crankshaft for the 850 and 900 Big Bores, And Polaris went to a lite-weight fly wheel ???? - In the past lite-weight crankshaft, lite-wheels close to 900 cc’s has been a death sentence….. The 900 Needs a heavier flywheel, and it needs a heavier clutch.

I would completely support Polaris on the 900 RMK if it was advertised and sold As-Is -No - Warranty ( Then the whole project makes sense.)….

Then the public would know what they were signing up for.

Dan

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Isn’t it strange how fast things change.

10 years ago before $hitbook was a factor….. multiple engine down threads would and hundreds of posts in a blink of an eye.

Now the forum motor threads struggle to get 10 to 20 posts

facebook has made accurate info about as realistic as fair elections…… If the info isn’t liked its deleted

ohhhhhhh, and you have to be invited to a page( Oh my God how stupid is that ??? )

Then Polaris has managed to pump their products so fast and so high with insider plants ( And Ambassadors protecting from all angles ) - Not you Murph …. And the products have turned to $hit and the prices are out of control for crap that won’t run.

And then the only card left to play is limited build so you can limit the damage and make it look like there is huge demand which there is not going to be for long.

and then the bean counters limit parts inventory so you cannot support your product and you put parts ship dates out to dates at season end so your customers cannot ride…..

and that’s what Polaris wants, get the sleds off the snow long enough for it to melt.

Dan

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Given the teething issues with the Boost (seems to mostly center around a bean-counter chosen fuel strainer), I'm not sure what to think of the 9R. I definitely wouldn't make it my only sled! My impression of the 850 has been mostly good; despite some poor choices that were fixed after the first year, and a few lingering weaknesses, they seem to work pretty well for most people. If I had the money to burn right now, I'd probably go with a NA 850. I'm pretty disappointed that they've completely abandoned the smaller engine lines: the 650 is a minimal effort, and the other motors available are a 25-year-old fan motor, an AXYS holdover (I think just in the Titan now), and a repurposed ATV motor (ProStar S4).

What they should be working towards is two families of engines: one that's exactly what they're doing with the Patriot right now, and a second topping out at 700cc and 150HP or so. I think people know what they're getting into with the 9R and will generally be happy to get 1000 miles before needing major work (long as it doesn't grenade, really). The smaller architecture would be lower-cost, longer-life, and fill everything from a ~500cc utility role to a mid-range performance. Partly dreaming out loud here, but I do agree that they're pushing hard for the top of the market, seemingly at the expense of everything else. Maybe they have plans and we'll see something in the next few years, but the only remotely new thing aimed at the mid-range is the 650. For the rest of the line, it seems they're content to keep selling old stuff until it's finally irrelevant.

Anyway, my current sled is a Pro with one of your long-rods in it, and it's worked great for me. My budget isn't likely to allow for a new sled in the near future, so my next sled will probably be an AXYS 800. I don't need a ton of power, even the Pro spinning a 163 has all I need. So I'm curious what you think about the 800 HO. You mention the 850 being better than any of the Dragon-to-present 800s, but I hear a lot fewer reports of issues than the Pro or Dragon 800. Biggest issues seem to be TPS and relay related. I get the sense that if they'd put a TPS like the 850 has on it and invested in quality, sealed relays, the 800 HO would have been the one people would be saying Polaris got right. But then, I'm not the guy who's rebuilding motors coming to me in a box of parts on a regular basis!

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
Well I got a call from my dealer today, and the new engine is in….pending set up.
Not terrible really considering…..
Oh and I ordered a 9R. ?
Luckily I have great friends who have lent me their spare sleds to get by this month…?

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
I'm with Beartooth... The wife is finally showing interest in riding herself, so I'd like to get her a good and proper sled, so she has the maximum chance to enjoy herself, and continue with the sport.
My only option with the allocations given to my dealership was a pro RMK 650. So while it will be a great sled, the cost is unreal. It's more than my '19 850 was when new, by a fair margin.
I ALMOST went Doo, just for the fact a Backcountry 600 in a 144 x 2" was almost $1700 cheaper, and had SHOT start, which to be honest, is a pretty sweet option, especially for a young woman in her early 50's, just starting out in the sport.
Only real thing that swayed me back to Poo and the 650, was the fact I have tons of spares, like belts / plugs / oil that will work, and I actually am really wanting to try the 650 for myself haha.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Given the teething issues with the Boost (seems to mostly center around a bean-counter chosen fuel strainer), I'm not sure what to think of the 9R. I definitely wouldn't make it my only sled! My impression of the 850 has been mostly good; despite some poor choices that were fixed after the first year, and a few lingering weaknesses, they seem to work pretty well for most people. If I had the money to burn right now, I'd probably go with a NA 850. I'm pretty disappointed that they've completely abandoned the smaller engine lines: the 650 is a minimal effort, and the other motors available are a 25-year-old fan motor, an AXYS holdover (I think just in the Titan now), and a repurposed ATV motor (ProStar S4).

What they should be working towards is two families of engines: one that's exactly what they're doing with the Patriot right now, and a second topping out at 700cc and 150HP or so. I think people know what they're getting into with the 9R and will generally be happy to get 1000 miles before needing major work (long as it doesn't grenade, really). The smaller architecture would be lower-cost, longer-life, and fill everything from a ~500cc utility role to a mid-range performance. Partly dreaming out loud here, but I do agree that they're pushing hard for the top of the market, seemingly at the expense of everything else. Maybe they have plans and we'll see something in the next few years, but the only remotely new thing aimed at the mid-range is the 650. For the rest of the line, it seems they're content to keep selling old stuff until it's finally irrelevant.

Anyway, my current sled is a Pro with one of your long-rods in it, and it's worked great for me. My budget isn't likely to allow for a new sled in the near future, so my next sled will probably be an AXYS 800. I don't need a ton of power, even the Pro spinning a 163 has all I need. So I'm curious what you think about the 800 HO. You mention the 850 being better than any of the Dragon-to-present 800s, but I hear a lot fewer reports of issues than the Pro or Dragon 800. Biggest issues seem to be TPS and relay related. I get the sense that if they'd put a TPS like the 850 has on it and invested in quality, sealed relays, the 800 HO would have been the one people would be saying Polaris got right. But then, I'm not the guy who's rebuilding motors coming to me in a box of parts on a regular basis!

Pretty much a spot on view of the Polaris line….. and I must say much more elegant then myself.

To address your question about the 850 verses the Dragon/Pro 800

The 2008/09 Dragon had a 3021843 cylinder
The 2010 Dragon had a 3022201 cylinder
The 2011 PRO had A 3022205 cylinder
The 2021 PRO had a 3022352 cylinder
The 2013 thru 2015 PRO RMK had a 3022449 cylinder ( The 2015 Axys flat lander had a 3022554 cylinder ) that had press in fittings that had a falling out problem.
2016 Thru 2021 Axys 800 HO was pretty dialed in ( other then the things you mentioned ) you are correct, they have all little bean counter cheapness problems. ( They never should have litghtened the crankshaft ) hard on clutch parts and motor or mounts.

And with out mentioning all the part numbers the P9laris 800 crankcase has changed many times and most are not interchangeable without custom machine work….. and some are not interchangeable period.

So you have to have hundred & $100,000‘s dollars worth of inventory to keep the customer on the snow with exchange motors. ( And you need a lot of storage area ) for all these big parts.

The 850 has had no changes other then a crankcase groove…. so means much easier to inventory

The 850 has had the same part number cylinder for 4 years. ( This says a lot about the success of the platform )

Referring to the 800 PRO Long Rod motor You mentioned ( Thanks for the business ). The 800 only needed about a 4mm ( Much less then a 1/4 inch longer ) increase in Rod length to increase piston life.

The 850 with a bigger heavier piston needed a much longer increase around 10mm ( a little under 1/2 inch longer ) and we went to a smaller top Rod bore so we can run the 800 Twin ring piston that removes heat from the piston much faster.

The 850 Long Rod with Twin Ring Piston is the most dependable motor I have seen in a very long time.

One of the biggest reasons I believe it is so good is the motor mounts…. compared to the PRO and Axys motor mounts that were a very poor Design.

One other bad thing going on right now for the development of Polaris is the ( Ambassador Program ) This is biggest scam to the Polaris consumer I have ever seen.

The Ambassador program should be called the ( Hush Money program ) Polaris gives all these guys a discount on a sled to be a cheap mouth piece for the product.

You have to sign a contract saying you will not bad mouth the product if it breaks down.

This is such a slap in the face to both the consumer and the Ambassador’s that think they are doing something good.

The program is a screw for both the consumer and the Ambassador ….. Why ?

First - it shelters the truth from the consumer ( Like Facebook ) most bad context is quickly deleted

Second - Polaris gets a Massive amount of Public relation work done for almost nothing ( Without Ambassador’s Polaris would have to hire 5 to 10 People at $75,000 to $100,000 each

Third - The Ambassador’s all get screwed six ways to Sunday with a minor discount

Ambassador’s should get together and create a program together as a Team against Polaris Hush contract ( Its Bull$hit ) and it’s embarrassing and demoralizing to be like a Hush money politician.

Facebook and the Ambassador program is slowing the improvement of the sleds.

Dan

Last edited:
C
Jan 14, 2020
Well I got a call from my dealer today, and the new engine is in….pending set up.
Not terrible really considering…..
Oh and I ordered a 9R. ?
Luckily I have great friends who have lent me their spare sleds to get by this month…?
did they diagnose anything? oil pump failure, etc? 900 miles on a high hp 8000+ rpm motor is asking alot, but just curious.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I feel bad for the ambassadors who really need the money but have no choice. They gotta do what the manufacturers tell them.

Premium Features