• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski-Doo clutch on an Alpha! Whuuuuuut????

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Doesn't the Doo clutch have a slight offset so that it "wobbles" in sync with the 850 etec? I feel like it wouldn't quite work right on the cat unless it can be machined enough to eliminate the wobble

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
its a TRA which has no wobble
Pdrive for the 850 has the wobble

And does the dampner look like a real bad photoshop job?

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
ok after blowing up the pic the damper is all good, the side of the plastic is cut making it look weird

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
We tried this back in the 80's to replace the Comet 102C and didn't have any success. The TRA at that time was too heavy and didn't work on the old Suzuki. Or at least we weren't will to keep spending money to make it work. Who knows maybe it will work in this application once it chews a hole through the side panel.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Can’t imagine the TRA would have any benefit over the cat clutch other than not coming apart. I have wondered about using the old style secondary

G

gp800

Sep 25, 2017
Not sure what they were hoping to gain here aside from maybe durability. Hopefully the new 22 clutch is the answer if not I've considered a P85 from Racin' Station.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
1700 miles on my stock clutch an i love it. so smooth. heard some come apart but havent had any issues.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Im a die hard skidoo fan and love the TRA and still wonder why ? you would do this ?
Imo there are quite a few benefits.
1. Vibration dampener for less harmonics from the engine.
2. Weight-heavier than the team, better for less vibration. Contrary to popular belief, heavier clutches are better IMHO.
3. Adjustable to +- 1000 rpm’s on the snow.
4. Rebuildable for less than $200
5. Parts are easily available
6. Has better overdrive than p85, Yamaha
7. I am familiar with the Tra. I think Im kinda in love with it.

Side note-I had a P85 clutch taper machined to fit this sled. It was soooo light I just knew it was too light. The engine would hardly pull over like it had no clutch on it. Fail.

P85 Cut for an Alpha for sale!

Last edited:

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Back when we were searching for a better clutch we ended up with a P85 and had years of success with them. On the older Cats it was the better choice between the TRA and P85. The TRA was a serious power drain and close to double the money at the time. I hope this works out for you as it will be another option to look at when replacing a Team. Unless AC steps up with some Adapts for a heavily discounted price. Are you listening Gunner?

It is a good thing KD is doing this as it is the only interesting topic right now. Summer sucks

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Back when we were searching for a better clutch we ended up with a P85 and had years of success with them. On the older Cats it was the better choice between the TRA and P85. The TRA was a serious power drain and close to double the money at the time. I hope this works out for you as it will be another option to look at when replacing a Team. Unless AC steps up with some Adapts for a heavily discounted price. Are you listening Gunner?

It is a good thing KD is doing this as it is the only interesting topic right now. Summer sucks

Interesting about the P85 information. I figured the P85 was kinda light as it was super hard to pull over with the rope. I thought the motor was locked up it was so hard to pull. Funny thing is, I pulled the motor to investigate the hard pulling. I had Indy Specialty design a 5lb weight ring to replace the electric start ring. It was for extra weight. Total weight would have been about 14lbs. The Tra weighs 15lbs. The team is about 12lbs. P85 is approx 9lbs.
I was gonna buy the Indy Spesh P85 stationary sheave with the custom weight ring on it. But then I got to thinking and thought I would try a Tra I had. I just needed to get the taper cut for a Cat. Sooo, just take it to a good machine shop and it’s all good right? So I thought.
The machine shop charged me $250cdn, dude cut the taper too fast, or dull bit or crappy machine and the bit jammed, the taper has humps in it and it rides on 3 ridges on the crank taper. Ffs.
Funny this is, when I picked it up, I could tell by feel it wasn’t right but there were 4 machinists there, including the owner telling me it will work and metal wasn’t the best to start with. I’m thinking to myself “these guys are clowns, and they effed up my stationary sheave that has my the sheave custom cut and it’s balanced. Indy specialty did the work but not the taper.
Anyhoo, lesson learned, send taper cuts to Indy.
Summer entertainment for y’all!

Last edited:

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Our results are from the older Cat engines I haven't done any testing on the C-tec. But I don't see anything stopping the P 85 from working. The machine shop charged way to much and clearly were not capable of doing the job correctly.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
P-85 was the rage for many many people until recent history. Many drag racers have used TRA's on their builds if not going to a 4 arm clutch. On the P-85 sleds, I know the ring gear was always installed. lightweight is good, until its hanging off the end of the crank. And considering the **** Cat has used from '06 to '19 or whatever......I'm surprised more people didn't ditch the Cat setup all together.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Hey that’s cool! Sledders in both countries found that clutchwise, light is not right! Cheers!

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
just curious about why heavier is better when Indy dan and other companies are offering to machine your clutches to make them lighter and you can also buy lighter clutch faces. I know a lighter clutch will spin quicker, so isn't that better than a heavier clutch that will spin slower?

Premium Features