• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2024 arctic cat blown belt

A
Dec 17, 2018
Anyone else blown a belt on a 2024 alpha ? Has only just over 100 kilometres on it. Clutches seem to be running hot

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Strange.
Have three 19’s, one 20. Never blown a belt on an ascender.
Three over 3500 miles.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Did you break the belt in? If so I would be returning to the dealer and having them check alignment and warranty the belt. The belts should run for thousands of KM.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Everyone jumps on the did you break the belt in band wagon. I don't buy it. He's got something wrong.
I am not everyone and i don't jump on band wagons but it will most likely be the first question asked. I think there is a problem also I just like to be prepared. I personally wash the belts with soap and water first and then break them both in as per the manual. Not sure if it makes a difference or not but I haven't had a belt issue in over 20 years. I have changed a few that are worn beyond spec but no failures probably just a coincidence.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I am not everyone and i don't jump on band wagons but it will most likely be the first question asked. I think there is a problem also I just like to be prepared. I personally wash the belts with soap and water first and then break them both in as per the manual. Not sure if it makes a difference or not but I haven't had a belt issue in over 20 years. I have changed a few that are worn beyond spec but no failures probably just a coincidence.
Never washed a belt in my life. Never really broke one in. We have a few miles of trail and then it's game on. So personally i think its bs and covid showed us that people will believe anything.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Washing a new belt might be a hold-over (they seem to come pretty clean these days), but I do it anyway - what can it hurt? A good break-in can only help any belt, it's just some need it more than others. Gates - what I run - insists on a proper break-in, and I think most of the issues people have with Gates belts are either from poor or no break-in, or bad alignment.

I think the biggest advantage of OE belts is they're most tolerant of slap-in-and-go use. Even so, I'd break one in along the lines of what Gates recommends. https://assets.gates.com/content/da...urce-library/tech-tips-bulletins/tt004-13.pdf It doesn't say anything about washing the belt FWIW... One suggestion, if you've got a good belt, is put the new belt in for the trail ride to the goods, swap it out before you jump off trail, and then swap back to the new belt on the way out.

Anyway, to the OP, I'd take a good look at the clutches if I lost a belt in only 100km. Check the alignment and for broken bits, or hopefully the dealer can look into it. Worst case, you've got something defective, but there is such a thing as a faulty belt or contamination. If you took it out brand new and hammered it right off the truck, then it could be break-in at fault, but there's probably more going on.

T
Dec 20, 2018
please explain the logic behind breaking the belt..... i mean ...explain it...what happen if the fiber are heated slowly vs fast and stretched slowly vs all at once.... ? i found its absolute bull ****... If your sled setup is wrong u gonna blow a belt no matter what broke in or not...and the opposite also hold thru...

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Never washed a belt in my life. Never really broke one in. We have a few miles of trail and then it's game on. So personally i think its bs and covid showed us that people will believe anything.
Queue the conspiracy theorist. Someone's sabotaging Cat belts!!!

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I usually take out 8-10 sleds at a time. Never done a break in on a belt. Havens blown belt on a sled newer than 2011 m8. Can’t begin to guess the miles with no blown belts but it’s a lot.

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
I havent blown a belt in 20plus yrs and i hardly "break them in ". Its usually the 15km trail ride in to the good stuff then game on. Never washed a belt either. I do how ever make sure my clutches are aligned, clean, run a clutch kit and have tons of venting. A cool clutch is a happy clutch

Premium Features