• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whittier....???

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
What time you want hit the tunnel? 10:30 opening? They should be getting dumped on right now. Bring your beacon and common sense, Whittier is essentially a giant death trap if the avy conditions are bad (in which case I'm going home). At one point or another I have seen a slide on nearly every hill and mountain up there, even the ones next to the trail :eek:

W

Winter Project

Dec 3, 2007
Anchorage / Gwood
www.myspace.com
What time you want hit the tunnel? 10:30 opening? They should be getting dumped on right now. Bring your beacon and common sense, Whittier is essentially a giant death trap if the avy conditions are bad (in which case I'm going home). At one point or another I have seen a slide on nearly every hill and mountain up there, even the ones next to the trail :eek:

Unless something changes... i will see you in the line @ 1020. More than likely in a black tahoe & two place.

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
can you post or PM me your phone number so we can confirm in the morning. i don;t want to head down and end up being the only one there, lol. That's not the place to ride alone.

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
Don't waste your time. Whittier has been getting hammered with wind the last 3 days. Not only will it be hardpack everywhere, the avy danger will be horrible. It really is just a spring area.

M
Jan 1, 2008
Where did you hear it was closed. There is nothing on the City of Whittier website or Chugach Forest about it being closed. Rode there two months ago and it was open. Couldn't get up on top because of the ground blizzard above treeline.

Mark

B
Feb 28, 2008
wasilla
i heard its closed to snow machines and they are giving out small fines on the first offence and confiscating sleds on the second , is there anyone on here that can confirm that. i heard that the walls of snow in whittier are over six feet from people who passed through. sure would like to go ride.

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
I kinda doubt its closed to sleds, you drive right past the cop shop and they see you drive on by with sleds..

Rode there today, sunny and hot! Snow was getting soft around 2-3 pm. I think the jens (blondz and mytoys) might have some pictures to contribute

B
Feb 12, 2006
Eagle River
Jen and I took tons of pics today - so did Drew. I am sure they will share some of theirs too ;) I wish the snow was better - what a fantastic playground!! Not super thrilled about two of the lower decents... thought I was gonna die on the last one lol Have to say that considering the concrete wind blown crappy snow up top - I had an AMAZING day!!! Whittier is something else, and once again you guys rock!! Thank you for another great day!!

Here's just a couple of the pics

DSC01562.jpg

DSC01656.jpg

DSC01597.jpg

DSC01700.jpg

DSC01751.jpg

DSC01724.jpg

DSC01690.jpg

W

Winter Project

Dec 3, 2007
Anchorage / Gwood
www.myspace.com
Rode sunday. Tried to stay at lower elevation to avoid wind blown snow. Founds some fun spots.... was hard to keep the skis on the ground. Yes the snow is super deep. Here are two pics... maybe more later. Going back Tuesday!

I'm 6'4... so i'd say 7 feet at least.
07-08winter026.jpg

Amazing day... amazing view. Doesn't get much better in the spring.

07-08winter013.jpg

Premium Features