• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bellypan prep 101

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
Was screwin'around with my new used bellypan this afternoon and thought I'd share my way of prepping a Hawk bellypan in order to get rid of some problems... Some very basic mechanical skills required. All the old gurus know these tricks of course...

One of the worst problem is that the metal screening you have all over your Hawk allows snow to go through. What that does if you happen to be in deeper than 6" and make a left turn, you're gonna fill the primary clutch with snow and it'll start to slip like hell. It can come right to the point where you can't go forward anymore, I've seen it on my buddy's 503 back east. Whatever clutch setup you'll try, if your primary is full of snow, you won't get any good results. The mag side opening can also cause you problem if you like to lean very far down on the right side, first snow can get onto your pipe, not too much of a big deal performancewise but another problem is snow accumulation. In '08 I was running filter mesh on the primary side only and found that, after a ride in the super deep, There was a snow accumulation in the bottom around the cog belt. It is not necessary to cover the whole opening, covering the back end like I did is necessary though.

In order to prevent these problems, you'll need to go get some filter mesh material , double sided tape, scissors and a free afternoon with half a 6-pack of your favorite beer. First you need to remove these metal screens, drill the ****ing rivets out of there (Sorry I hate Rivets). Use the screens to cut the patterns you need off of the filter mesah material. Apply the double sided tape to the screens, throw the cut out pattern on the double sided tape, rivet and away you go. I attached some picture of the process.

You'll also want to do it for the 3 little openings behind the brake. I ran out of filter mesh material so it'll be doing it sometime this week. Here again, snow getting there causes the brake system to be very well lubricated, something you really don't want.

All of that being said, I'm sure ADB tried their best like on the rest of the machine but bottom line is all 3 openings they made on the belly pan of our machine each caused a problem. Just like roughly 70% of the rest of the machine as well...

As you're at it you might want to add some Heat reflective tape to your bellypan. Look at areas where it's burnt up an cover them.

Bellypan prep 101 001.jpg Bellypan prep 101 002.jpg Bellypan prep 101 003.jpg Bellypan prep 101 004.jpg Bellypan prep 101 005.jpg Bellypan prep 101 006.jpg

S
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Utah
I moved my clutch side screen to the outside of the belly pan.

When you get aggressive in a left hand turn in the deep snow it will push the belly pan in far enough that the sharp edges of that screen will cut into the clutch belt.

bps.jpg

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
i think you need to develope a chain guard for all the chain users....it scares me!

I thought about it and I'm not to worried. since there is no pivot movement a chain derailment or breakage is unlikely..IMO but if you where worried about it a simple piece of alu between the two body mounts would be a good choice..Now a greese/oil deflector might be nice..

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
oh i wasnt worried about a heavy metal chain flying off and tearing my leg apart...i just didnt want my pants to get dirty!!!

i remember when my stock 2002 503 cog belt blew apart last year, it scared the poop out of me! the hood almost popped off!

Premium Features