• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HM intercooler

ewanaburner

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2002
west central MN
is anyone running one of these?
what do you think of it?
how heavy is it?
how big is it?
how big is the core?

very interested in one, just a couple of questions I need answered

S
Nov 3, 2008
I have one. It is all aluminum, so it isn't that heavy. I forget how much fluid it holds. It takes the place of the intake box on normal turbo setups.

What I have found is that the intercooler allows me to run less boost pressure because of the reduction of air temps. When I was at Shane's place last January, we put a custom temperature gauge in the charge tube and logged the temps while riding. Comparing side by side, the intercooler lowered my charge temps by as much as 90 degrees when compared to an identical kit without the intercooler. I run 10 lbs most times on pump gas, and the charge temps are closer to as if I was running 8 lbs.

PM me if you have any questions.

T

TREE MAGNET

Oct 28, 2008
ST. MARIES
comparison

i don't think there is a comparison to the hm cooler kit AND A BD MINI COOLER. The hm kit is way better but from what I hear they won't sell u one for a garret if they would I would have one on my sled. Something to do with aerocharger I heard

S
Nov 3, 2008
Actually, if you go to the website or call Shane, I think he will sell one. He has kits available(intercooler only)on the website. I think he added them this year, if I remember correctly from the Puyallup snow show.

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Rode Fastrax shop IQ800 for a whole weekend. Was amazed at the consistent running. Normal for Aero's to turn into a ball of heat and performance takes a nose dive in the steep, heavily treed Washington Cascades. I could put my hand on the intercooler after several long hard pulls and put my hand on the box to find it quite cool to the touch. Very impressive. Just what the 66 needed. BIG thumbs up this combo.

S
Nov 3, 2008
that is what I am talking about. I work for a company that measures temperature. We're not talking thermocouples which are only accurate to 1-2 degrees. I am talking accuracy of .2 degrees and when I picked up my sled last December, I installed a sensor/data logger on the intake(after the intercooler), we took it up to Lolo Pass and kept it on the turbo for long pulls. We did a bunch of boondocking and then did some speed runs in the flats. When I got back into town, I pulled the data and was amazed to see that I couldn't identify when I was on the turbo and when I was cruising. The temps just stay constant on this thing. I will never have another turbo set up as long as I live without this intercooler set-up!

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
what does this system use for the water pump?

how big is the rear cooler?

any installed pics?

S
Nov 3, 2008
Here are a couple of pictures of the intercooler off my sled. Like the Subman, I picked mine up from Shane last January. I met Shane back when he was a SkiDoo man, in fact he was the reason I bought my first Doo(98 SummitX). After riding the D8, I don't know what I was thinking! Anyways, back to the intercooler.....I have found that this thing is bullet proof over the past year. The install is pretty straight forward and non-invasive if you are thinking about adding it to an existing kit. I called Shane yesterday and he said he is working on a bare bones kit that is intercooler-less and no clutching for those of you who want to step up to the power of Aerocharger, but want to do it a little at a time.

17.jpg

P1010201.jpg

P1010203.jpg

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
i found a air/water cooler that iam going to use on my setup its shaped and about the same size as a half gallon milk jug, also going to do a d-valve "quickspool",

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
Here's a few more pics of this system-its been around a few seasons but Shanes getting more aggressive about marketing this year and I'm glad to see it.There is no question in my mind about the quality of components and the amount of R&D he does is staggering-take a read through the install instructions and tuning/troubleshooting guide and you'll understand-as Shane (or us, as an install center) comes across tips or tricks, they are immediately added to the instructions and available to customers. We've had fantastic results with these turbo kits and they really shine in the tight riding situations where the sleds ground speed is to low to allow an air-air I/C to do its job. We are now jigged up and building the pipes for the HM 700 cfi turbo kits so the 700 guys will now have a bolt on kit as well.

Meathooker, the kit uses a small electric pump that runs directly off the mag and it circulates the liquid through the bulkhead cooler(independant of the motor coolant). The result is ice cold intercooling even at near zero ground speeds as long as the track is turning. The core is rated for 350 hp and the pressure loss is less than 1 psi across the core.

This is a turbo that you can beat on relentlessly and experience consistent running quality, response and power.
Anyone in our area that would like to check one out or ride one, feel free to stop by the shop or call and we'll set it up!

We can supply anyone with the HM liquid intercooler kit now as a separate accessory and offer help with fabrication for the install onto some of the other turbo kits on the market along with cold air intakes and our new IQR/Dragon carbon fiber mod hood with integrated cold air intake plenum. We build custom IQ add on mini u-coolers too for anyone having heating issues with their turbos in the spring or low snow conditions.

Curt

Johnny wiks turbo build 002.jpg Johnny wiks turbo build 003.jpg Johnny wiks turbo build 044.jpg CURTS TURBO DRAGON 017.jpg CURTS TURBO DRAGON 018.jpg water hose detail top 2.jpg puyallup snow show 2009 004.jpg

RIDECATS

Premium Member
Sep 24, 2002
MN
Very nice setups from HM. Looking at the website quality and how articulate it is helps buyers who are looking to deal with "professionals"

Great to see all these options..... I think turbo 2010 its just killing me to look at al these kits an not have one!!

HM TURBOS

Premium Member
Nov 25, 2008
Lolo, MT
Thanks guys for the props. We are pleased with how well the intercooler is outperforming the air to air intercoolers. We appreciate our customers and understand the importance of that relationship. We are updating the website with new tech videos and also have our Facebook site that we encourage everybody to visit and post their riding pictures.

A
Aug 3, 2008
North Idaho
Thanks guys for the props. We are pleased with how well the intercooler is outperforming the air to air intercoolers. We appreciate our customers and understand the importance of that relationship. We are updating the website with new tech videos and also have our Facebook site that we encourage everybody to visit and post their riding pictures.

Great job Shane! These look sweet, would like to get out and ride with you soon! What you have just makes sense! HM Turbos = Performance/Reliability!

R
Apr 4, 2008
Fairbanks, Alaska
700 or 800?

OK, I want one. I am running a 07 d7 Dragon. I am about to spend some money on the suspension but before I do I have a question. :confused: Would it be better to just sell my sled and turbo an 800? I like the 700 but if the hot setup is the turbo 800 then that's what I will do. If the 700 turbo is close in power then I am sticking with my sled as I think it likes me.:face-icon-small-hap

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
OK, I want one. I am running a 07 d7 Dragon. I am about to spend some money on the suspension but before I do I have a question. :confused: Would it be better to just sell my sled and turbo an 800? I like the 700 but if the hot setup is the turbo 800 then that's what I will do. If the 700 turbo is close in power then I am sticking with my sled as I think it likes me.:face-icon-small-hap
I'll buy your 700. Let me know where and when to pick it up :D

R
Apr 4, 2008
Fairbanks, Alaska
And let my baby go :eek:, no.
So it seems to me that a 700 has about the same lower end as an 800 so the ability of the lower ends to withstand higher HP levels should be the same. Also with a smaller stroke the 700 should actually be stronger and spool up faster. And if I smoke one jug I just replace one jug.

Anyway, it's ugly and it's almost paid for so it's a keeper.

So, who wants to by an airplane?

Premium Features