• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Backcountry skiers/boarders?

T
Not sure if anyone does any backcountry skiing while using their snowbike but if you do this might be a place to post questions and answers to this activity.

My question would be: do ski boots work well enough on the snowbike for deep snow on forest service roads (fsr)? Basically can you keep your feet on the pegs and change gears with plastic AT boots on or do you need to carry the boots?

Second question would be: best way to "wake up" a snowbike that has been sitting in the freezing cold for hours (e.g. methane shot in the air intake?)

I'll be figuring this all out this winter but looking to see if anyone has experience with this. I know there are lots of sledders who backcountry ski/board but they have a different machine to work with.

I posted a video on how to make your own snowboard/ski rack for a snowbike on my Lights on Older bikes thread.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Not sure if anyone does any backcountry skiing while using their snowbike but if you do this might be a place to post questions and answers to this activity.

My question would be: do ski boots work well enough on the snowbike for deep snow on forest service roads (fsr)? Basically can you keep your feet on the pegs and change gears with plastic AT boots on or do you need to carry the boots?

Second question would be: best way to "wake up" a snowbike that has been sitting in the freezing cold for hours (e.g. methane shot in the air intake?)

I'll be figuring this all out this winter but looking to see if anyone has experience with this. I know there are lots of sledders who backcountry ski/board but they have a different machine to work with.

I posted a video on how to make your own snowboard/ski rack for a snowbike on my Lights on Older bikes thread.
I have ridden in my ski boots a few times. Easier than I expected to be

E
Dec 19, 2007
If it only sits out a few hours during the day it will probably start fine. But over night outside seems to be tough for a lot of bikes and on deep days sometimes weird things freeze up like throttle cables and starter solenoids. When I go to an overnight back county cabin I pack a small propane torch to thaw things and I can sit it in the snow aimed at the bottom of engine or clutch cover for 5 minutes and it warms the whole engine.

T

If it only sits out a few hours during the day it will probably start fine. But over night outside seems to be tough for a lot of bikes and on deep days sometimes weird things freeze up like throttle cables and starter solenoids. When I go to an overnight back county cabin I pack a small propane torch to thaw things and I can sit it in the snow aimed at the bottom of engine or clutch cover for 5 minutes and it warms the whole engine.
I'd be worried about setting the bike on fire given there usually is small oily grease and possible fumes but then I'm a noobie. Interesting idea though. Thanx for the tip!

Premium Features