• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Condition 2

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Time to start a new BH conditions thread for our basic members. Bitter cold today, very few out riding today. It was 24 below at 3pm at Hardy when I left. Listening to the groomers on the radio. Currently 33 below at Trailshead. One of the groomers is starting to gel so he is limping it home.

T

thierracing

Jan 1, 2010
Fulda MN
best trip yet!

So we just got back home yesterday :( and I have to say that was the BEST trip I've had out to the hills since I've started going about 12 years ago. You don't have to go far at all to find epic snow. We rode between trails head and spearfish canyon lodge the whole trip and we were pushing snow over the hood the entire trip. Its going to be hard to top this trip! Snow up in the trees on the north part of trail 1 is just biblical. Wag I think my group rain into you on Saturday were you with a big group that was meadow hoping north of trails head? For all of you guys planing to go out and ride off trail...once this cold passes it should be great. We found awesome snow. Still stumps but there are always stumps out there. Its was a great trip IMO I wish I could post the vid and pictures. I'll have to figure out how.

8hundo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 7, 2001
Sturgis, SD
I think our group ran into you guys in the Rifle Pit area-guy on a black Nytro that got hung up on a sidehill we helped yank out. You are right, the snow in the trees was phenomenal. Best I've seen for this early-hope it holds.

IMG_1952.jpg IMG_1945.jpg

S

skidoo1210

May 24, 2009
Worthing, SD
The snow in the Hills is epic right now. We rode Saturday and Sunday Morning out of trailshead. In 7 years this has been the best snow I have ridden in the Hills. Found over the hood powder both days. Could not have asked for better conditions Saturday. Sunday we debated about packing up and leaving but decided to try it. It was cold to start but once we got off the trails and into the trees the snow was awesome and wind didn't bother at all. I was surprised to see we were the only truck in the parking lot Sunday as good as the snow was. Only saw a groomer and one other group at trailshead Sunday. Still have to pay attention to stumps and downed trees but not like in the past years. Can't wait to go again.

T

thierracing

Jan 1, 2010
Fulda MN
I think our group ran into you guys in the Rifle Pit area-guy on a black Nytro that got hung up on a sidehill we helped yank out. You are right, the snow in the trees was phenomenal. Best I've seen for this early-hope it holds.

Yup that was us. Was some pretty amazing snow in those meadows! You guys would be a fun group to roll with. Its too bad I don't come out to the hills more often! Glad to see you brought some you.her kids along to!

D
Nov 29, 2007
Portage, MI
Time to start a new BH conditions thread for our basic members. Bitter cold today, very few out riding today. It was 24 below at 3pm at Hardy when I left. Listening to the groomers on the radio. Currently 33 below at Trailshead. One of the groomers is starting to gel so he is limping it home.

Thanks for keeping the posts under 100, I am a basic member using this thread to keep an eye on the conditions. Wife and I are headed the the hills for the first time, Feb 9th to the 15th. Renting a cabin near trail #5 just south of Lead, getting excited for the trip with the last few posts.

Derek -N- Renee

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
The snow in the Hills is epic right now. We rode Saturday and Sunday Morning out of trailshead. In 7 years this has been the best snow I have ridden in the Hills. Found over the hood powder both days. Could not have asked for better conditions Saturday. Sunday we debated about packing up and leaving but decided to try it. It was cold to start but once we got off the trails and into the trees the snow was awesome and wind didn't bother at all. I was surprised to see we were the only truck in the parking lot Sunday as good as the snow was. Only saw a groomer and one other group at trailshead Sunday. Still have to pay attention to stumps and downed trees but not like in the past years. Can't wait to go again.

When did I get demoted to groomer? :face-icon-small-con

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
I am heading out tomorrow stoked
still looking for a back country guide for a day .no one needs to make extra cash to go boondocking for a day ? u all have oil wells in your basements in the hills or something

S

skidoo1210

May 24, 2009
Worthing, SD
I wondered if that was you that pulled up when we were gassing up the sleds. We met the groomer on trail 1 about a mile north of trailshead. I'll have to come say hi next time I see you. Thanks for all you do on here and out there.

Pm me some trip details Ezra

Last edited:

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
still looking for a back country guide for a day .no one needs to make extra cash to go boondocking for a day ? u all have oil wells in your basements in the hills or something

No oil wells here, you will find them in North Dakota. I do not know of anyone who does paid guild service in the Black Hills. The requirement set out by the Forest Service to legally guild on public forest lands are difficult to meet. However I may be game for a ride on Friday. It is too early in the week to commit but I will keep it in mind. As long as you do not mind riding with someone on an old school sled (01 Mountain Cat).

starrsleds

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2008
No oil wells here, you will find them in North Dakota. I do not know of anyone who does paid guild service in the Black Hills. The requirement set out by the Forest Service to legally guild on public forest lands are difficult to meet. However I may be game for a ride on Friday. It is too early in the week to commit but I will keep it in mind. As long as you do not mind riding with someone on an old school sled (01 Mountain Cat).

better take duane up on his offer, he will show u places that most dont get to see!:face-icon-small-hap hope u have a great trip

8hundo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 7, 2001
Sturgis, SD

I am always happy to show someone around the Hills but had been planning to head to the Snowys this weekend. That trip may be scratched so if I don't go, we could work something out for the weekend.

cycloneracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Carson, Iowa
How is trail 5t? We are looking to come up in late feb. I know it is a long way off. But we are looking to rent a house. Had a bad experience the last time we stayed at Terry Peak but it looks like all the good places are booked.

Last time we stayed at Terry Peak they told us there was a trail. That year 5t must of been closed or didn't exist. So we had to trailer in and out. Nice place. But just got bad info.

Thanks in advance!!!

Paul

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
I am always happy to show someone around the Hills but had been planning to head to the Snowys this weekend. That trip may be scratched so if I don't go, we could work something out for the weekend.

Trying to talk RF on going Sunday. Shoot me a PM if you guys are going on Sunday. Have a couple new areas I want to try.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
How is trail 5t? We are looking to come up in late feb. I know it is a long way off. But we are looking to rent a house. Had a bad experience the last time we stayed at Terry Peak but it looks like all the good places are booked.

Last time we stayed at Terry Peak they told us there was a trail. That year 5t must of been closed or didn't exist. So we had to trailer in and out. Nice place. But just got bad info.

Thanks in advance!!!

Paul

Was on a portion of 5T last Saturday. Trail was a lot better than it was last year. Still some areas in the open that are thin due to blowing off but the added snow fences has helped and some of the thin areas can be ridden around. Also trail 5 from Recreation Springs West is the best condition I have seen in a long time.

Premium Features