• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2022-2023 Black Hills Conditions

S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
Have not rode snowmobile on 7 into Deadwood but I did drive along trail 7 out of Deadwood today. The trail looked good with plenty of snow cover. The worst trail I seen all week was trail 7 from Dumont to Mystic Hills. It had the usual blown off portions around Custer Peak and had several thin areas. The best trails I seen were trails 1 and 3 up by Big Hill. Today I rode 5 into Rec Springs and it was in good shape. Trailshead area received around 3 inches Sunday night. Spearfish Canyon only received 1 inch. 3-4 inches new snow towards Rec Springs.
Thanks for the update. We are staying at the Gulch and hope to ride out. Hope to see you next week.

M
Nov 24, 2009
Hello Everyone, I'm new to the area and have not ridden snowmobiles here before. My family and I are going trail riding today from Trailshead. Could you guys help me with which trails to see the best scenery Blackhills snowmobiling has to offer?

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
112 one day
143 the next.
Had a blast
Easy riding with good snow
1-3/1-4 2023

A
Sep 10, 2012
Hello Everyone, I'm new to the area and have not ridden snowmobiles here before. My family and I are going trail riding today from Trailshead. Could you guys help me with which trails to see the best scenery Blackhills snowmobiling has to offer?

For trail riding near Trailshead, I’ll list my favorites. Find Spearfish Canyon Lodge up trail 4, Cement Ridge up trail 3, Black Fox south east on 2K, or Beaver Creek area south on 11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
SDSNOCOP How is the trail system south of Trailshead ? Can you ride to mount meadow? Thanks, Rick from Peoria Illinois.
I have heard you can get into Mountain Meadows after the shot of snow we had last week. I have not been down there since before christmas but I plan on riding that way tomorrow. You do want to go across trail 9 and cut across the lake. Trail 2 around Flag Mountain is very thin. I was at Black Fox and across trail 8 today and they were all good. Buckhorn area is good and also trail 11 through Mallo Camp.

W
Jan 4, 2017
I have heard you can get into Mountain Meadows after the shot of snow we had last week. I have not been down there since before christmas but I plan on riding that way tomorrow. You do want to go across trail 9 and cut across the lake. Trail 2 around Flag Mountain is very thin. I was at Black Fox and across trail 8 today and they were all good. Buckhorn area is good and also trail 11 through Mallo Camp.
I see a warm up coming this weekend do you think it will hurt the trail system very much? We are staying in deadwood. We could drop trailer at rec or trailshead if 7 out of town gets bad. I see the snow is deteriorating on the ground by the gas pumps at trailshead already. I do understand they plow the lot off. I have heard the hills got a lot of snow more to the north. Driving out from Peoria Illinois on Friday and just a little nervous about how the trail conditions are. Thank you for any updates.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Did not make it south to Mountain Meadows today. I got redirected North to try to find a groomer drag blade. I was on Most of trail 3 and 3B and they were in excellent condition. The warm temps this weekend will hurt some of the areas close to Lead and Deadwood. It is always a good to have a contingency plan to drop off somewhere away from Lead and Deadwood since they are usually the first to deteriorate. There is plenty of snow on most of the system to withstand the 2 days of warm weather Friday and Saturday. It is always 5-10 degrees cooler when you go further from Lead and Deadwood. Days are still short this time of year and the sun does not have a lot of power yet.

H
Oct 7, 2009
Where's the better place to stay to get more in better snow conditions? I check trailsheadlodge for snow updates but I'm familiar with the area. We were thinking about going out starting Sunday the 22st. It's a long drive and we haven't ridden out here before.

M
Dec 4, 2010
In my experience the west side of the trail system is the better side to ride. However, it can be a bit harder to find lodging on that side compared the eastern side.

Mike

longvalley

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2014
we stay at blackstone lodge in lead 605-584-2000 (3 outside hot tubs). trailer to trailshead and ride either north or south. i think better snow is on north and west side the way it sounds for now.

S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
I just spent 4 days riding out of Deadwood daily. We rode on freshly groomed trails all day every day. Most of the time I was the first sled on the trail. I cannot say enough how great the groomers do their job and how well the trails are marked. The trail system was great lots of snow if you ride from Deawood trail 7 then 7A then 2K to get to the center of the hills. Trail 7A has about 30 yards of snirt on the Mikelson trail just leaving Dumont lot. A couple of rocks but nothing to be aware of. Stay away from trail 5 around rec springs as there were several bare spots. We rode from deadwood south to trail 8 and north up trail 3 from Buckhorn to Bighill lot and south down trail 1 into Spearfish then down to Trailshead and found great snow everywhere. Did ride a few meadows along 2K and they were ok but a little crusty. The trails were empty of riders Monday - Wednesday. However, on the way home Thursday saw a parade of sleds headed to the hills. I believe the direct sunlight and higher traffic will cause more trail issues them the warmer temps. I missed chatting with sncop but maybe next time. Rode 400+ miles Sunday - Wednesday.

A
Sep 10, 2012
We rode out of Trailshead in the morning yesterday with a few friends on 2 up rentals. We arrived early and it was fairly busy with the Rusty Nuts sleds. Very impressed with those old sleds, makes me wish I would have kept my Trailfire and Sting.

We left and went up trail 4 to Spearfish Canyon and the trail was in great shape, but off trail close was very beat up. We left there and hit 3 down to Buckhorn and found a few areas still left to play in and climb. One spot was very good and set a waypoint to return to next time. The snow was deep and we didn’t find any stumps.

Leaving Buckhorn to the east, we came across an accident with a sled wrapped in a barbwire fence.
I stopped to see if everyone was okay and lend a hand. Thankfully, everyone was good and they had things handled. This is the second fence issue I’ve seen this year, please be careful out there.

By the time we got back to Trailshead, the lot was packed. We loaded and let things clear out. It went very quick and the lot was half empty.

We plan on a few honey hole check ins, then make our way to Black Fox today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
4-5 inches of good heavy wet snow last night and today. Still lightly spitting snow tonight. Did make it to Mountain Meadows today. It was thin down there but it is possible to get there going across 9 and cutting across the lake. Found some pockets of nice snow East of Mallo Camp. Yesterday I was down around the Black Fox area and trails look really good considering the warm weather and traffic over the weekend. Spent Friday and Saturday with the vintage crew. Used the 87 Indy 400 SKS to haul the ****ter to and from the ride stop location and rode the 74 Chaparral SSX for the actual vintage ride.

J

jarrodmaas

Dec 28, 2009
Looks like chances of snow for the next week or so, anyone know amounts they are predicting??

longvalley

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2014
whats it looking like on the ground up there? i been watching radar all day and it looks like a guy should be heading that way.

Premium Features