• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2022-2023 Black Hills Conditions

R

rmk01r1der

Apr 30, 2008
ND
Road from spearfish canyon to trailshead for a burger over the weekend. Trails were in great shape, looked like you could find some good snow off trail. Was on a 2 up though so didn’t do any exploring off trail.

moonshiner

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Yankton, SD
Conditions were great last weekend, on Friday we rode Spearfish Canyon to cement ridge, then down to trailshead, and back to Spearfish on trail 4. Lots of good snow, off trail was decent but still lots of stumps. Saturday we rode of out Rec Springs. More rental traffic made the trails a little rough but not bad. Off trail was not as good, but still decent for Rec Springs area, and overall conditions were way better than anytime since winter 19-20.

263572F9-A1BE-4EF9-88BB-9BF3FFB97223.jpeg A14E904A-0861-4FBE-9B20-CE4E5CAF96CD.jpeg 231AA500-A28D-46FD-A025-DBC3414B4884.jpeg

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
Just returned tonight from two days of riding. Did off trail one day and had a blast on forestry roads and off trail meadows. Zero complaints.. Sucked to leave as they were gonna get some more fresh tonight/tomorrow.

Dec 17, 2013
Just returned tonight from two days of riding. Did off trail one day and had a blast on forestry roads and off trail meadows. Zero complaints.. Sucked to leave as they were gonna get some more fresh tonight/tomorrow.
Glad to hear it. We are headed back out next weekend. If you have any areas to share, please let me know. We’ve been out there many, many times but my kid is finally on a full sized mountain sled, so we have started venturing further off-trail recently and I’m looking for areas we could explore.

longvalley

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2014
any reports from southern area ? trail 1 down by intersesctions trail 9,13,12,8. interested if
any one been down there off trail at all?

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
any reports from southern area ? trail 1 down by intersesctions trail 9,13,12,8. interested if
any one been down there off trail at all?
closer to 9 you get, it is thinner. but doable. but as soon as you head west on 9 it is way better,, then as soon as you go north on 12 it is primo all the way. this was the case on 3/6-3/7 2023.

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
Glad to hear it. We are headed back out next weekend. If you have any areas to share, please let me know. We’ve been out there many, many times but my kid is finally on a full sized mountain sled, so we have started venturing further off-trail recently and I’m looking for areas we could explore.
West off of 1 ..north of trailhead about 15 min. you can wind up on 3b.
or where 2&6 meet.. good times

Last edited:
S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
Rode last week and the trails were perfect. These groomers are the best. Off trail meadows were great as I was the first one in on new snow, Talked with Sncop one evening he is great at keeping us safe on the snow. Julie at trails head saved the day for my partner fabing up a helmet liner out of a bar rag. Met new friends at the various warming stations. It was a perfect trip.

Dec 17, 2013
Rode last week and the trails were perfect. These groomers are the best. Off trail meadows were great as I was the first one in on new snow, Talked with Sncop one evening he is great at keeping us safe on the snow. Julie at trails head saved the day for my partner fabing up a helmet liner out of a bar rag. Met new friends at the various warming stations. It was a perfect trip.
They really are some of the best maintained trails in the country! Along with the maps at every intersection with “you are here” it’s nearly impossible to get lost out there.

We are leaving in the morning to ride Friday & Saturday. Looks to be pretty warm, should be a great couple of days of riding!!!

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Had a great day riding out of Dumont. 16 sleds, 18 riders. 4 200's and 3 EVO. So nothing wild and crazy. Trail 2 k, 5, 7 were in really good shape. The meadows we pretty hard found some ok snow on the edges. What we rode you could go anywhere you wanted to go. The 200s didn't get stuck witch was a disappointment. Going to have an adult ride tomorrow going to hit the nw part of the system. Let you know how that goes.

imagejpeg_1.jpg imagejpeg_0(5).jpg 20230216_104804.jpg

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Rode up around cement ridge, wagon canyon, riflepit canyon. It was geat snow 6 to 10 fresh. By Saturday afternoon the majority of that was beat flat as a pancake. Up in the trees was decent but as always stumps we lurking about 4 in below the snow. Definitely the go anywhere you wanted type of snow.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
rode from rec springs south on 5 to 2c then to 2k and headed north and hit 7a then 5a back to the cabin. the trails were good but off trail looked like you would hit a stump for sure.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
rode trail 5 north towards lead then 7s north to 7 then headed back south and hit 7a to 5a back north to our cabin. the trails were good yesterday and today it added about 5 inches. off trail we saw the best snow on 7 and 5a still had to watch for stumps which the new snow hid but found some spots to play around in.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Rode 3 from the Big Lot south to Buckhorn, and took 1 back north. Trails were in great shape if thats your kind of thing, if your going to send it off trail theres a 50/50 chance of needing a new sled by the end of the day.

K
Feb 22, 2023
Nyc
Was looking for the name of a nice restaurant I found while snowmobiling out there 6-7 years ago. We left buck horn and we’re heading south I think on trail 11 or maybe 1
It was a big nice place I remembere it had two mountain lions full mount up in the corners close to the ceiling. I tried to find it when I was out there in August but could not. Thanks

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
Was looking for the name of a nice restaurant I found while snowmobiling out there 6-7 years ago. We left buck horn and we’re heading south I think on trail 11 or maybe 1
It was a big nice place I remembere it had two mountain lions full mount up in the corners close to the ceiling. I tried to find it when I was out there in August but could not. Thanks
Canyon Springs.. miss that place.

Premium Features