• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2022-2023 Black Hills Conditions

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Now that there is some snow to report I will start this years conditions thread. I was up at Hardy over the weekend working deer season. There was an inch of snow on the ground last Thursday with maybe 3-4 inches on the shaded north slopes. Little more snow to the Northwest closer to Spearfish maybe 2-4 inches. Stated snowing Sunday night. 4 inches when I left yesterday at 2. Trailshead this morning is reporting a foot since Sunday night and still snowing. 2-4 predicted yet today and another 1-3 for Wednesday night. It has been cold this last week with most nights at 0 or colder so the ground is frozen. Rode my 80 SRX to Trailshead yesterday morning and ran some plug check runs across the parking lot as Todd was plowing. No thawing temps are predicted for the next 7 days. The elk came to visit Sunday night. The herd was across the highway from the cabin. The bull was so close and bugling so loud I could hear him from inside my cabin. The herd came into the hardy yard overnight and tore up my newly fallen snow. They were feeding within 30 yards of the cabin. On a personal note I retired from the Deprtment last May but came back on a part time basis. I will be working snowmobile patrol 3 days a week through early March. I have been working and staying out of the Hardy Camp cabin since I retired in May working the Northern Hills area.

H
Aug 5, 2020
North Dakota
It’s great to see the early season snow in the hills, especially after how rough last season was.

Is there any off trail riding near Hill City? Work travels will start bringing me there on January 1 but I’ve never ridden that far south.

A
Sep 10, 2012
Now that there is some snow to report I will start this years conditions thread. I was up at Hardy over the weekend working deer season. There was an inch of snow on the ground last Thursday with maybe 3-4 inches on the shaded north slopes. Little more snow to the Northwest closer to Spearfish maybe 2-4 inches. Stated snowing Sunday night. 4 inches when I left yesterday at 2. Trailshead this morning is reporting a foot since Sunday night and still snowing. 2-4 predicted yet today and another 1-3 for Wednesday night. It has been cold this last week with most nights at 0 or colder so the ground is frozen. Rode my 80 SRX to Trailshead yesterday morning and ran some plug check runs across the parking lot as Todd was plowing. No thawing temps are predicted for the next 7 days. The elk came to visit Sunday night. The herd was across the highway from the cabin. The bull was so close and bugling so loud I could hear him from inside my cabin. The herd came into the hardy yard overnight and tore up my newly fallen snow. They were feeding within 30 yards of the cabin. On a personal note I retired from the Deprtment last May but came back on a part time basis. I will be working snowmobile patrol 3 days a week through early March. I have been working and staying out of the Hardy Camp cabin since I retired in May working the Northern Hills area.

Thanks for the snow updates and story of the elk.

Also, congratulations on the retirement and part time work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

longvalley

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2014
So glad to see the early snow. Hope the temps stay down to build some base. I had heard you retired but am so glad you are there part time and going to report on forum. You do such a good job of reporting the conditions. Thank you!! Congratulations! Hope to see you on the trails when we get up there from Nebraska!

U
Dec 12, 2007
Custer, SD
Rode out of Trailshead yesterday and found about 12-18" everywhere right around the Lodge. It seemed to get thinner a few miles north. Loaded up and left right around lunchtime when the snow started to fall again.

Nooby

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2013
NE Nebraska
Thank for your reports. They are deeply appreciated.
Congratulations on your retirement!

longvalley

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2014
I know trails and grooming does not start until 15th but how are things looking if anyone or snocop has been out ?? Have rooms booked week between christmas and new years. Anxious to ride

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I am heading up there today. We have the groomer training tomorrow and Friday. They will be doing some training runs with the groomer around the Trailshead area. I start with pre-season trail inspections next week.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Took the 87 Indy 400 SKS out to scout Christmas trees in the Trailshead area today. Conditions not bad for this early. Better than we had the last 2 years. 6-8 inches most places with more on the shaded slopes and some areas burnt off on the South slopes. Snow has a good heavy consistency and will make a good base both on and off trail. Rode 2 track roads and some trail routes. Base is sufficient to keep the old Indy off most of the rocks. Groomer groomed a trail from Hardy Camp to Trailshead. Trail groomed up pretty nice. I have some pics but the internet is too weak to upload here at Hardy.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Inch of snow today. Groomers went out in the Trailshead area today to train new groomer operators. Trails groomed up nice for early season. Was cold all day single digits for a high. Currently below 0. I start trail inspections next week Wednesday. Took the 400 SKS out to cut down the Christmas tree I had scouted a couple days ago.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
We are supposed to get a significant dumping next week over here on the east side of the state. Hoping this system delivers in the Black Hills first!

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Been conducting preseason trail inspections the last 3 days. 150 miles by pickup and 170 miles by snowmobile. Best snow is in the Trailshead area and North to Spearfish Canyon and Cement Ridge. Snow thins some North of Cement Ridge but gets better from Big Hill South on 1. Snow thins as you go East and South. Ridable snow South to Trail 8 but thin. Snow runs out South of trail 9 and mostly brown at Deerfield. I still have to cover the area around Lead and Deadwood. NWS is predicting 1-2 feet of snow Tuesday and Wednesday. Trails will open on the 15th. Many of the Forest Service gates located on the trail are still closed and will be opened on the 15th.

C
Dec 4, 2008
Got a few questions for you guys. I’m heading down to the Lead area over New Years with the family. I’m going to bring my sled with and my sons ZR200. We have a cabin rented near lead and am wondering where a good place to unload near terry peak would be? We will mostly just be trial riding. Needs to be fairly close the the lead area as my wife and daughter don’t share our passion of snowmobiling so they are heading to deadwood while we ride. Thanks for any help!

S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
Got a few questions for you guys. I’m heading down to the Lead area over New Years with the family. I’m going to bring my sled with and my sons ZR200. We have a cabin rented near lead and am wondering where a good place to unload near terry peak would be? We will mostly just be trial riding. Needs to be fairly close the the lead area as my wife and daughter don’t share our passion of snowmobiling so they are heading to deadwood while we ride. Thanks for any help!
Rec Springs Resort is just close by.

HOOTS

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
S.W MN
Agree, Recreational Springs just east of Lead but sometimes early a little lacking of snow on trail to get to heart of trail system. Not that far to just drive up to Trails Head, unload and be right in the middle.

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Question we will be up like normal over presidents weekend, the following weekend my daughter has a gymnastics meet in Rapid. Anyone know a place that I could leave the trailer for the week in-between so I don't have to tow it back to Aberdeen and then I can get an extra day or 2 of riding.

Premium Features